• Lade

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Hinkley

Votes: 6 6.6%
  • Other

Votes: 26 28.6%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Lets be honest here, that is a shit list of potential coaches. I remember when we could get almost anyone we wanted, times have changed and I say just give Schoey 2 years.
WTF would you know.

Enlighten us with your acumen as to who else should be on the list, and why.

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

Maybe I am way to Old School .... BUT ...... under my watch neither of those coming into town for a face to face meeting, of such importance, would EVER have been left to catch a Cab from the airport.

Thats something that I don't like, one little bit.

Sorry I will call that as I see it.

FFS.

Poor Form, West Coast.

Yeah quite shit tbh

Back in the day we could pick anyone to coach, like when we picked Ken Judge.

From memory we went out and chased him too without going through a selection process

He was still under contract at Hawthorn so had to break that to join us, just as Malthouse was leaving us with a year to run on his

Worsfold and Simpson both had to go through interviews to beat Neil Craig and Sumich respectively

The only potential coach weā€™d have liked to be interviewing but arenā€™t, I think would be Cox. Not sure if any of the others who pulled out are any better than the final 3 or 4 still standing

The only potential coach weā€™d have liked to be interviewing but arenā€™t, I think would be Cox. Not sure if any of the others who pulled out are any better than the final 3 or 4 still standing
Not sure Cox would even be on our radar if he wasn't an ex Eagle. He may end up a great coach, but there's nothing amazing on his cv

I think your being unfair about his interim coaching, he did a fantastic job. However I'm not convinced about the WAFL coaching Subiaco at the time were winning one gf roughly every three years because of the Subiaco oval cash.

Itā€™s not all about the cash players , Schofield would still have had a demanding training schedule, a game plan and also the ability to get the players playing for each other and the pride in wearing the jumper every time they went onto the field ..

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Itā€™s not all about the cash players , Schofield would still have had a demanding training schedule, a game plan and also the ability to get the players playing for each other and the pride in wearing the jumper every time they went onto the field ..

here is me thinking S&C staff develop fitness programmes. I suspect the senior AFL coach is more a manager at times rather than the guy running training.

From memory we went out and chased him too without going through a selection process

He was still under contract at Hawthorn so had to break that to join us, just as Malthouse was leaving us with a year to run on his

Worsfold and Simpson both had to go through interviews to beat Neil Craig and Sumich respectively

Fascinating. I was a bit too young/distracted to be across that level of detail when we got Judge. But Iā€™d love to read up more about it. Sounds like a strange time

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Maybe I am way to Old School .... BUT ...... under my watch neither of those coming into town for a face to face meeting, of such importance, would EVER have been left to catch a Cab from the airport.

Thats something that I don't like, one little bit.

Sorry I will call that as I see it.

FFS.

Poor Form, West Coast.
This is a good call out. It doesnā€™t leave you with an impression of us as being the ultra professional club of yesteryear getting things like this wrong.

Back in the day we could pick anyone to coach, like when we picked Ken Judge.

And we sent a town car to pick him up from the hot air balloon port too.

here is me thinking S&C staff develop fitness programmes. I suspect the senior AFL coach is more a manager at times rather than the guy running training.

The WAFL coach may have less resources and more control overseeing the running of the team ..

Didn't mind listening to Ken Judge on the radio back in the day. But yeah, it must have been weird that we went after him because his record coaching Hawthorn hardly set the world on fire.
Looking back, Judge had 2 WAFL premierships in the early 90's, was an assistant for one year at Carlton in 95 and that got him the senior gig at Hawthorn, where he finished 8th in his first year and then went backwards in his next three before we poached him.

Possibly means we won't give much weight to Schofield's WAFL coaching record.

Skipworths persona reminds me of the kit man off Ted lasso. Hope heā€™s a bit different behind closed doors

Yeah frankly Skipworth just seems too weird and shy. Mcqualter is at least a jovial little fella.

The situation really does feel pretty sub-optimal. With all the stuff about how incredibly in-house the coaching search was being kept it was easy to get one's hopes up for a big coup of some sort. But after the long and carefully cloistered hunt it seems we've just ended up with the three willing default candidates anyway.

Chatted to a mate who has played under Skipworth and couldn't speak more highly in regards to his ability to plan, prepare and connect with players.

Agree that little snippet wasn't super inspiring, but this same mate has heard whispers that the job is Skipworths, if he wants it.

I spose we will find out if that comes true in the next 4 or 5 days.

Remove this Banner Ad

Coach Coach for 2025

Back