• Lade

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Hinkley

Votes: 7 6.5%
  • Other

Votes: 34 31.8%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

On skipworth being "quiet or awkward" to media, i couldnt gibe a shit what hes like talking to the scum media as long as he can coach 44 guys to win footy games
Like it or not, how the new coach deals with the local media (the west) and performs in press conferences will very much matter and will absolutely be a consideration in who they pick.

When times are bad, which they will be for a little while longer, every word of a presser gets pulled apart, just ask simmo.

I'm not judging skipworth on a small sample size, he may be fine.

Go to 7.00 for the above comment

Definitely said he’s going to be a fine coach at….

Odd thing to say if he didn’t know, less odd if he does know King’s leaving to be our coach

If we have told him, question then becomes did we tell him before or after his collapse? You’d have to think before because telling him afterwards whilst he was recovering would be kinda weird
Got told then looked at our playing list, collapsed and ended up in hospital. No surprise to that.

Got told then looked at our playing list, collapsed and ended up in hospital. No surprise to that.
Either that or he was talking to Jeremy Cameron about Reid fending off Oliver and Petracca and fainted

Like it or not, how the new coach deals with the local media (the west) and performs in press conferences will very much matter and will absolutely be a consideration in who they pick.

When times are bad, which they will be for a little while longer, every word of a presser gets pulled apart, just ask simmo.

I actually think having a quieter coach who doesn't antagonise the media too much isn't necessarily a bad thing.
At the end of the day I don't give a shit how the coach communicates with the media as long as he can communicate with the players and build us back into a contending team again.
Trot out Pyke to the media a bit more, the assistant coaches can do a bit of extra media work, the captain(s) and senior players can chip in.

Did anyone else watch Chris Scott's post game presser and notice that when talking about Stephen King, Scott had to back track a bit and he caught himself mid sentence.

When he said:

"He is going to be a fine Coach at ......" ( caught himself and didn't finish the sentence immediately ), slight pause and a refocussed , then continued ..... "as a Head Coach at some point ..... but if he is not and he is with us next year."

I thought he spoke knowing that King was coaching elsewhere next year, maybe I was misreading Scott, but if felt and looked a bit weird.

Now ... I am no body language expert ( thats WCE_phil speciality , but I though that Scott's body language and general demeanour, knew that King wasn't going to be at Geelong next year ....... :think::think::think::think:

I am basing that also on an assumption that IF West Coast had made their decision, that out of courtesy that may have already informed Geelong.

Then again I might be talking total sh1t and have badly read the " tea leaves " of Scott's presser.

I heard it exactly the way you did. My initial instinct was I took a breath and said to myself, he knows something!

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

There's absolutely nothing in this. The full utterance he commenced was "he is going to be a fine coach at some point", but he paused to insert the clarification "uh, senior coach", to forestall the unintended implication that he's not already a fine assistant coach.

Just a generic show of support and more an example of Scott's agility of thought than a stumble.

I actually think having a quieter coach who doesn't antagonise the media too much isn't necessarily a bad thing.
At the end of the day I don't give a shit how the coach communicates with the media as long as he can communicate with the players and build us back into a contending team again.
Trot out Pyke to the media a bit more, the assistant coaches can do a bit of extra media work, the captain(s) and senior players can chip in.
I have no opinion on Skipworth, but some of the comments are, well interesting. How many of the greatest ever live stage and screen performers have been introverts? And introvert is a multi scalable description to start with.

Maybe coaching via zoom from Melbourne is an option... Candidates seem a bit fragile these days
N9Wgov.gif

The interviews were, what, two or three days ago. No chance they made the decision, informed everyone, King let Scott know etc in that short amount of time.

Yeah, you’re probably right tbh

King flew in on Wednesday, with Skipworth and McQualter arriving the following day

For King to have been told Friday morning, the selection panel would’ve needed to make a decision Thursday night and have that ratified by the board that night or early Friday morning

Does seem too short a turnaround

honestly wouldn't be shocked if it was the club who gave the media the coaches flight details themselves just to see how they handle the surprise media scrum waiting for them at the airport.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

FWIW, I’m leaning towards Skipworth as my first preference but would be happy with King

Little less enthused by McQualter as he seems a little less experienced in comparison to the other two

FWIW, I’m leaning towards Skipworth as my first preference but would be happy with King

Little less enthused by McQualter as he seems a little less experienced in comparison to the other two
Yeah me too on the back of absolutely nothing.

Do we actually know that Schofield is out of the running? I feel like the only mail the journos have been getting is from who is flying over but Schofield is obviously already in Perth so he could have interviewed at any time.

Can't imagine anyone on the panel would have leaked to the media that he is out of contention.
Most of the media know stuff all as I believe there have been other candidates who have been interviewed which we both the public and media know nothing about. So let’s all just wait n see how it all pans out.

Did anyone else watch Chris Scott's post game presser and notice that when talking about Stephen King, Scott had to back track a bit and he caught himself mid sentence.

When he said:

"He is going to be a fine Coach at ......" ( caught himself and didn't finish the sentence immediately ), slight pause and a refocussed , then continued ..... "as a Head Coach at some point ..... but if he is not and he is with us next year."

I thought he spoke knowing that King was coaching elsewhere next year, maybe I was misreading Scott, but if felt and looked a bit weird.

Now ... I am no body language expert ( thats WCE_phil speciality , but I though that Scott's body language and general demeanour, knew that King wasn't going to be at Geelong next year ....... :think::think::think::think:

I am basing that also on an assumption that IF West Coast had made their decision, that out of courtesy that may have already informed Geelong.

Then again I might be talking total sh1t and have badly read the " tea leaves " of Scott's presser.
He was rambling the whole press conference though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Coach Coach for 2025

Back