• Lade

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Hinkley

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • Other

Votes: 41 32.8%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

The reason for the delays is pretty obvious I’d have thought.

Universal industry opinion is that we are pretty much the worst state in terms of our list that any club has ever been in and it will take 5 years for finals to even been a consideration for us again. They might be wrong. Some posters might vehemently disagree with the industry consensus and think our recent first rounders like Chesser are destined to win Brownlow's in the future. You can have your own opinion on the state of the list. But what is not debateable is that that is the industry consensus.

That makes it hard to recruit a new coach

I’m not arguing that our list isn’t bad. But “the worst any club has ever been in”? I doubt that’s actually the industry consensus.

And how exactly is this manifesting itself in the coaching search currently? We’ve quite publicly produced a short list and now narrowed it to three, all of whom have done multiple interviews. Are you suggesting some or all of those three now have cold feet because they didn’t realise the list was that bad, even though it’s supposedly an industry consensus that it’s the worst ever?

I'm leaning towards the ex Richmond chap.

Only because we are linked to Baker and Graham and he has done a long apprenteship at several clubs.

Skipworth at 41 seems a little young and needs more experience.

King........,?????
McQualter is younger and less experienced than Skipworth

This is probably a big reason behind why the club was hesitant to sack Simmo. The standard nuffy mentality of "sack them and hire someone better" isn't always as simple as that.
I’m not arguing that our list isn’t bad. But “the worst any club has ever been in”? I doubt that’s actually the industry consensus.

And how exactly is this manifesting itself in the coaching search currently? We’ve quite publicly produced a short list and now narrowed it to three, all of whom have done multiple interviews. Are you suggesting some or all of those three now have cold feet because they didn’t realise the list was that bad, even though it’s supposedly an industry consensus that it’s the worst ever?
I forgot to add the copypasta emoji

So what.

List of head coaches with less experience as assistants than all of our candidates.

Brad scott 3yrs
Chris scott. 3yrs
Sam mitchel 5yrs
Adam Simpson 4yrs
Ken hinkley 9yrs
John longmire 8yrs
Damian Hardwick 5yrs
Nick's 8yrs
Voss 3yrs
Clarkson 5yrs
Goodwin 6yrs
Beverage 5yrs

Mcqualter 10yrs
King 15yrs
Skipworth 10yrs

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

So what.

List of head coaches with less experience as assistants than all of our candidates.

Brad scott 3yrs
Chris scott. 3yrs
Sam mitchel 5yrs
Adam Simpson 4yrs
Ken hinkley 9yrs
John longmire 8yrs
Damian Hardwick 5yrs
Nick's 8yrs
Voss 3yrs
Clarkson 5yrs
Goodwin 6yrs
Beverage 5yrs

Mcqualter 10yrs
King 15yrs
Skipworth 10yrs

So we are picking stale coaches? It seems irrelevant if they coach well.

Chat GPT reckons it’s Skippy -

Hayden Skipworth is currently seen as the leading contender for the West Coast Eagles' head coach position. His reputation, built from his role in Collingwood's recent premiership success and his emphasis on player development and game plan innovation, has impressed the Eagles' selection panel. Skipworth’s experience also includes stints with Essendon and as Collingwood’s talent academy manager

The other top candidates are Andrew McQualter, who served as Richmond's interim coach, and Steven King, a midfield coach with Geelong. McQualter has been praised for his leadership at Richmond, but Skipworth appears to have gained the edge. King, while still in the running, has not been able to participate as actively in the process due to Geelong's finals commitments

While no official announcement has been made, Skipworth's combination of tactical acumen and personal connection with players positions him as the most likely to secure the job

So what.

Brad scott 3yrs
Chris scott. 3yrs
Sam mitchel 5yrs
Adam Simpson 4yrs
Ken hinkley 9yrs
John longmire 8yrs
Damian Hardwick 5yrs
Nick's 8yrs
Voss 3yrs
Clarkson 5yrs
Goodwin 6yrs
Beverage 5yrs

Mcqualter 10yrs
King 15yrs
Skipworth 10yrs

I don't disagree, I was just countering Obeanie1

Sorry for the intrusion and feel free to delete

Mini was extremely respected by all the coaches and players at Richmond and most wanted him to be the coach and players like Cotchin came out and supported him publicly but Richmond felt he was too similar to Dimma and wanted a different voice from outside.

Macre , McQualter & Kingsley were Dimma's assistants and the other 2 seem to be going well and have implemented the Kaos game style pretty well and Mini i would say would be doing the exact same thing as its proven to be successful game style and not as much talent required to get it done.

just 2 bobs worth

Does anyone know if Skipworth/Mcqualter spent a few extra days in perth while they had their interview, or did they go straight back to Victoria?

Just trying to find any similarities to Simpson that could potentially confirm who it is.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sorry for the intrusion and feel free to delete

Mini was extremely respected by all the coaches and players at Richmond and most wanted him to be the coach and players like Cotchin came out and supported him publicly but Richmond felt he was too similar to Dimma and wanted a different voice from outside.

Macre , McQualter & Kingsley were Dimma's assistants and the other 2 seem to be going well and have implemented the Kaos game style pretty well and Mini i would say would be doing the exact same thing as its proven to be successful game style and not as much talent required to get it done.

just 2 bobs worth
My only concern is the next dynasty won't be from a team playing the same style as the last seven years, it will be the innovator who comes up with the next game style.

My only concern is the next dynasty won't be from a team playing the same style as the last seven years, it will be the innovator who comes up with the next game style.

Don't worry, all 18 clubs are trying to play the same style. it's just their lists that mean they can or can't achieve it to a elite level. Game plan is the least of my concerns as I know it will be the same as all other clubs, or attempting to be.
Fitness and buy in to start climbing the mountain is where it has to start.

Does anyone know if Skipworth/Mcqualter spent a few extra days in perth while they had their interview, or did they go straight back to Victoria?

Just trying to find any similarities to Simpson that could potentially confirm who it is.

I heard that Sumich was in Perth for multiple days while the interview process went on

I heard that Sumich was in Perth for multiple days while the interview process went on

Following the candidates around, smoking cigarettes in the shadows.

Pyke is currently overseeing a training camp for the 3 potential coaches to see who gets the gig.

SFS186-MenInBlack-02.jpg

Getting abit tired of this dragging out tbh. I'm not quite sure how its taken so long to pick one of these untried guys, unless we were waiting to hear from a big fish.
It was always going to drag out when half the candidates come from sides playing in finals.

Better to be thorough and get the right man for the job than to rush into it and spend another 3 years in the trenches.

Last edited:
It was always going to drag out when half the candidates come from sides playing in finals.

Better to be through and get the right man for the job than to rush into it and spend another 3 years in the trenches.

No, no, no

We should definitely rush one of our most important decisions as a club and not do a thorough process because a few supporters are impatient

Simpson left on 9 July, so its been well over 2 months. They had the main interviews last week. Fair to say we are well past 'rushing' it.

Last edited:
Simpson left on 9 July, so its been well over 3 months. They had the main interviews last week. Fair to say we are well past 'rushing' it.

**** me, it’s October already

Where’d that time go

Who won the GF?

Remove this Banner Ad

Coach Coach for 2025

Back