coach to be named tommorow

Remove this Banner Ad

Originally posted by theox
anyone know what time ???

9.30 tomorrow morning according to Channel 10. They are fairly sure it's Laids.

Crosisca being interviewed at Hawthorn.

Moomba

Yes 9.30 tommorow morning (I will be awake.. will get dad to wake me up especially for the occasion) and it was said that Laidley met with the roos this afternoon (presumably to finalise things)

*Grin creeps across Tashi's face*
The stages of the grin:
1. :p 2. :cool: 3. :) 4. :D

Go Roos
Big Celebrations Tommorow.. if Sports Tonight is right.. will this press conference be on TV??? Or radio.. if so what channel/station?

Channel 7 news said it as well.
seems like the secret is out.
maybe we can all move on from deni$ now.
though i doubt it.

Ok lets assume Laidley is coach.
His assistants are?

Originally posted by tashibatts
I am sure the club would be smart enough to appoint Blakey fitness coach..

Go Roos

wasn't there talk that he was joining Denis over at Optarse?

Go Roos

Nice idea in principal, but i doubt it will happen. A very important job and Blakes may not be qualified enough.

If he is willing to make the move, Blakey is a big chance to move to Sydney.

He is best mates with Roos and Roos has already used him to help out with the young Port Melbourne players a couple of weeks ago.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Go Roos
These day's you need to be more than super fit to be a fitness coach you need to be qualified, it's a science. I don't know if Blakey's done any courses on the subject. But i hope he still is at the club next season perhap's as a runner or working with the young kid's.

Originally posted by ROWDY ROO

These day's you need to be more than super fit to be a fitness coach you need to be qualified, it's a science. I don't know if Blakey's done any courses on the subject.

If that is true - and I am not saying it isn't - how do you explain so many players running around who are clearly not up to the fitness level required (injuries notwithstanding), and also the gap in fitness levels of the best versus the worst ?

Originally posted by DarkRider

If that is true - and I am not saying it isn't - how do you explain so many players running around who are clearly not up to the fitness level required (injuries notwithstanding), and also the gap in fitness levels of the best versus the worst ?

By the fact that football is more than just athletics. There are obviously many more skills involved, and the fitness requirements of each player will vary according to the position and role they play.

You are not picking the 24 best athletes, or 24 fittest people available each week - you're picking the 24 best footballers. Fitness is only one (albeit a very important one) of the ingredients.

I would imagine that the role of a fitness coach would be to ensure the base-fitness level of the group is at an adequate standard, as well as working more intensively with particular players/positions as required.

Injury management and prevention would also play a big part in this role.

Good points you make, but does that mean you pick a player on ability, regardless of whether he is fit ? (I am not talking about injured players)

For example, a number of players in the St Kilda side would not appear to have had the required base-line fitness levels this year. Rioli & Whitnall spring to mind also. Sometimes the level of injuries can be a pointer to a lack of base fitness too - depending on the type of injury.

My conclusion is that some fitness coaches are better than others, and it shows sometimes.

Originally posted by DarkRider
Good points you make, but does that mean you pick a player on ability, regardless of whether he is fit ? (I am not talking about injured players)

For example, a number of players in the St Kilda side would not appear to have had the required base-line fitness levels this year. Rioli & Whitnall spring to mind also. Sometimes the level of injuries can be a pointer to a lack of base fitness too - depending on the type of injury.

My conclusion is that some fitness coaches are better than others, and it shows sometimes.

Agreed.

There is always an ability/fitness trade off. Think of Jason Dunstall. His baseline fitness was pretty abysmal, but he was an exceptional footballer, and would have been picked before most fitter players on the Hawthorn list.

I also think much of it comes down to the individual personnel management skills of the coach/football department in cases like Rioli + Whitnall.

Originally posted by jozeph
Ok lets assume Laidley is coach.
His assistants are?

Perhaps John Longmire? Maybe if Elshaug and Crosisca are leaving, we can get Laidley to flog some Collingwood support staff. I like the idea of p*ssing Eddie off.

Remove this Banner Ad

coach to be named tommorow

Remove this Banner Ad

Back