News Coaches' concussion worry sparks push for 23rd player

Remove this Banner Ad

So you are going off rules that were in place in 1930?

why not bring back the drop kick, or the flick pass or whatever it was.

Please.
The reason the bench was increased during the 90s was because the coaches complained that they needed cover for injuries.
The coaches then exploited the increased bench by dramatically increasing the rotations, and we're left with the highly congested game that everybody complains about.

The AFL are the gift that just keeps giving. Still more than 24hours left for them to change something else as well.
Meanwhile every game will have countless head high contacts not paid as free kicks yet the health an wellbeing of players is first and foremost.
AFL = Auskick Football League.

No as that would mean potentially the 23rd man never gets to play reserves games.

That was in response to people being like 'look at all these reserves games people will miss!', when I'm pretty sure it does happen quite a bit anyway?

Please.
The reason the bench was increased during the 90s was because the coaches complained that they needed cover for injuries.
The coaches then exploited the increased bench by dramatically increasing the rotations, and we're left with the highly congested game that everybody complains about.

If you want a fast passed game you need a bench. If you don't want the game to be a scrap first in the last half because players can no longer run then you need a bench.

The AFL are the gift that just keeps giving. Still more than 24hours left for them to change something else as well.
Meanwhile every game will have countless head high contacts not paid as free kicks yet the health an wellbeing of players is first and foremost.

I think in the interests of social justice and diversity a new rule should be that teams need to be an equal half-half of right and left footers.

Right footers have dominated for far too long.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If you want a fast passed game you need a bench. If you don't want the game to be a scrap first in the last half because players can no longer run then you need a bench.
We want a contested and flowing game, not congested into grid lock with a zillion players coming on and off the bench to run up and down the ground to fast pace maintain grid lock congestion.

Over 30 players around the ball within kicking distance of each other is what coaches want so they can continue to be control freaks.
This is not a spectacle anyone that loves the genuine contests wants. We do not want rugby like scrums we see far more often because of these coaching tactics to abuse the bench for things it was not brought into the game for

The rule requires the player to miss the next week if they are declared injured so doubt it will be used for small knocks
I heard that was only for concussion injuries but haven't seen an actual AFL update yet.

They aren't always paid as free kicks since players deliberately get themselves hurt to get them. This is all Joel Selwood's fault.

The rule requires the player to miss the next week if they are declared injured so doubt it will be used for small knocks
No it doesn't. For concussion, it will require missing a game or 2. But with any other injury, the player will be able to play the next week. It will be exploited rampantly.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

I'm in favour but would like to see more clarity.
For concussion it's clear
Other injuries not so. If the club response is 'he left in an ambulance and is now on the operating table', well that makes sense. But if it's 'he was a bit sore so we thought we'd give him a rest' - hmmm, how will that work?
Also clarity on abuse of the rule.
Be interested to know the % of teams that don't sustain a match ending injury in a game.

As others have said, minimum 1 game stint for subs, regardless of injury.
We won't see a major issue though until grand final day, where someone will be having a mare and gets subbed

So players will now receive their 'debut game' and then a 'debut actually take field game' - i can see the social media phone calls to mum and dad:

Game as a sub: 'mum, ive been named this week' - tears of joy from mum
Game 2: 'mum, im actually playing this week' - tears of joy from mum

Ways to make this rule better:

- independent doctor makes an assessment; and

- you have to miss next weeks game.
Test can't be done by the club, must be independent doctor making assessment from available vision and assessment.
1 week off mandatory for first time, multiple for second time.

Personally I've seen too many players cop hits and go back on the field when they should have been taken off.

Wines, Hartlett, Selwood rise to my memory.

As others have said, minimum 1 game stint for subs, regardless of injury.
We won't see a major issue though until grand final day, where someone will be having a mare and gets subbed

Each team should have spotters that identify head hits. In order to use the sub you would need to provide evidence of the head injury.

Remove this Banner Ad

News Coaches' concussion worry sparks push for 23rd player

Remove this Banner Ad

Back