Coaching changes

Remove this Banner Ad

Either they are a zig and zag team from way back or it sounds like a non decision by the powers that be. Stand by for more announcements this week.

Great announcement from OX. Simon Lethlean appointed coach. Leathers will be a great addition. Played in 5 A grade flags and assisted in the box this year.

Great announcement from OX. Simon Lethlean appointed coach. Leathers will be a great addition. Played in 5 A grade flags and assisted in the box this year.
Re: A Section Amateur Football
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianSpeaking
Have heard on the vine that Simon Lethlean will coach Xavs with possibly Pat Hawkins as his able assistant.
Strangely, Dale Tapping apparantley not considered.

Again, Brian is correct, why do all of you muppetts argue with anything I post?

18 Oct '07
jarman506a.JPG

EXCLUSIVE
JARS TO LEAD BLOOD AND TARS

Simon Lethlean will coach the Old Xaverians in 2008, after being selected unanimously by the Old Xaverians' Conclave of the Chieftains last night.
Lethlean, known throughout his career as Jars in recognition of his superb disposal skills, is a five time A Section premiership player with the Red 'n' Blacks and was awarded the Mick Rush Trophy by the Life Members last month.
At 10:07 this morning, Club President Simon Hunt instructed Ray McLean to light the furnace and send forth the white smoke, signalling that the coaching choice had been made. He then issued the following statement.
"The Old Xaverians welcome Simon Lethlean as our senior coach. We are confident that Simon will not only reinforce the ethos that has brought great success to our club, but will inject new vigour as we strive for continued and greater success," Hunt said.
"Jars has been a significant figure in our triumphs over the past decade and it is with great delight that he will hold the coaching reins next season and beyond."
Simon Lethlean arrived at Toorak Park in 1997 and made an immediate impact, representing Victoria and playing in four straight premiership teams. His goal early in the final quarter in the 2000 Grand Final against St Bernard's set the Xavs alight. Similarly, his goal against Old Scotch in the 2005 first semi, a jag that has gone into folklore as "the frozen rope", re-ignited the Red 'n' Blacks' chances in a crucial semi-final.
OLDXAVS.com spoke exclusively to the new coach this morning and he covered a few topics:
THE APPOINTMENT: "I'm honoured to be chosen to coach the most powerful amateur football in Australia. It is a large responsibility, but I feel sure that we can continue to move forward as a club. I thank the President and the entire committee for their confidence in me."
THE HIGHS: "There have been plenty of those. I've had success, made great friends at Toorak Park and through representative games. Not many people have the fortune of playing in four consecutive A Section flags in their first four years. Winning the Mick Rush Award this year meant a great deal – he was a good friend and mentor to me."
THE LOWS: "Reading Rodney Calhaem's prose on oldxavs.com this year really plumbed the depths."
THE STRENGTHS: "There are a lot of energetic people at Xavs that have brought about the culture of success. Expectations are high, but why aim for less than our best. The combination of Xavier alumni supplemented by the Foreign Legion has worked well. After a while, you can't pick them apart. Xavs make a point of bringing in the right types – the ones that aren't don't last. Happily, I did!"
THE TEAM-MATES: "As a player, I learned quickly about Old Xavs and how one can be successful as a group. What greater team-mates could one have had than Dillon, Bowen, Richardson, Blood, Landrigan, McLean, the Bourkes, the Hanneberys, Brushfield, Sassi, Jones, Wood, Coughlan, Ockleshaw and the others. Their work ethic, belief and attitude has stood the club in good stead ever since. It is that culture that I hope to pass on to current and new players and supporters."
THE PLAN:"Obviously I hope to retain a strong list and I look forward to working with all our players, whether they be experienced, young and untried players. I can't wait to give some new players an opportunity and to try some older players in new positions. I'd love to emulate Bones in getting the boys to focus on the various stages of the football year. My methods won't be rocket science. For my part, I'll be prepared and hope to have the guys training the way we want to play. Getting the best out of players when their best is needed is the trick."
THE INFLUENCES: "I learnt a lot from Nick Bourke, Brian Speaking of Big Footy fame, from Tim and Ralph O'Shaughnessy and Pat Hawkins in their coaching styles, preparation, opposition analysis, motivation and ability to set a side for football at Elsternwick Park. Barry Richardson taught me how to drive a whole-of-club mentality. He got the best out of each player in each position and put faith in groups of players - backs, forwards and midfielders and then reaped the rewards of that faith. He has been a huge influence and a figurehead that all other Amateur Clubs must sit back and envy."
So, the old number seven is indisputably now number one. The Nation now awaits the decision on the Reserves' coach.

Brian now says:
Barnes quits Beauy to be replaced by David Spriggs?
Shanahan brings ex Saint rover T Brown as playing ass coach to OH via job at school...Smith and Lappin to follow.
Dolly Parton leaves Carey to be playing assistant coach in EFL div 2.
Sacked Reds coach Steve Morse to coach Salesian-St Marys in D2.
Garry Colling Caulfield.
Dave MAtthews sacked from Ormond, Barnes to replace???
Poor old Graham Burgen cant get a gig anywhere...

Brian now says:
Shanahan brings ex Saint rover T Brown as playing ass coach to OH via job at school...Smith and Lappin to follow.
Garry Colling Caulfield.

With the closing date for the SMD job still 3 days away I challenge Brian Speaking to gaze into his crystal ball and predict the outcome for the D2 champs.
Brian?

Brian now says:
Garry Colling Caulfield.

Has Barnes quit because of the presentation night incident with a certain player?

Has Barnes quit because of the presentation night incident with a certain player?

My mail is that Barnes is safe..well known around the traps that Spriggs is tagging a number of clubs along - the day he makes a decision on anything would be nice.

The player involved at the Beauy function apparently made an absolute D**head of himself before and after the incident that drew a fair bit of blood I believe from a friend or relative of Barneys.

Jascave - your rumoured new coach - don't let him get too drunk at functions.

Gary Colling 100% confirmed for Caulfield - Kellaway will make a comeback with 1 confirmed and maybe 2 ex Richmond boys as well.

Brian now says:
Garry Colling Caulfield.

are you talking about the spriggs currently playing a port melb? he isnt going anywhere.. on too good coin there, if you're talking about the same guy of course..

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabs2000
Yeah well when I leave this is how many people it takes to replace me !!! Ha Ha ....By the way the Mighty Sharks are also looking for an U19 coach for next year as well

Ok, No doubt BS mail is correct so I have updated the Beauy job departure/position portfolio - OBVIOUSLY FOR THE LAST TIME AS THERE AIN'T ANYONE THERE NOW! - Now that is ONE MASS EXODUS

Maybe their committee needs to look at itself??

Hope they find time to recruit some players down there over summer

Required:

SENIOR COACH
Assistant Coach
Reserves Coach
Under 19's Coach
Football Manager
Director of Coaching
Under 17's Coach

If as reported by BS that Barney has gone because of the incident it is a disgrace and one of the darkest moments in that clubs history.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabs2000
Yeah well when I leave this is how many people it takes to replace me !!! Ha Ha ....By the way the Mighty Sharks are also looking for an U19 coach for next year as well

Ok, No doubt BS mail is correct so I have updated the Beauy job departure/position portfolio - OBVIOUSLY FOR THE LAST TIME AS THERE AIN'T ANYONE THERE NOW! - Now that is ONE MASS EXODUS

Maybe their committee needs to look at itself??

Hope they find time to recruit some players down there over summer

Required:

SENIOR COACH
Assistant Coach
Reserves Coach
Under 19's Coach
Football Manager
Director of Coaching
Under 17's Coach

If as reported by BS that Barney has gone because of the incident it is a disgrace and one of the darkest moments in that clubs history.

Losing Barney can't be all bad, RA RA only gets you so far!

What happened exactly?

Brian now says:
Garry Colling Caulfield.

brain, your record is very good, but i find this hard to believe, why would he not be a playing assistant at carey and take over from cam when the time is right ?

Interesting times ahead in this period where anything can happen.

Brian Speaking,

I told you some time ago that there would be a change at Ormond and you shot me down. Barney may be a favourite son down there but he is not the answer.

Guru

ps - why are Old Essendon spuriking themselves all over the ammos web site. You would reckon they would be one club that would just go about their business quietly and try and re-gain some respect rather than carrying on about their signings.

pps - who is going to get the OC1 job?

Brian now says:
Garry Colling Caulfield.

Dolly leaves Carey to be assistant at salesian-St Marys !! ;)

ps - why are Old Essendon spuriking themselves all over the ammos web site. You would reckon they would be one club that would just go about their business quietly and try and re-gain some respect

Probably the reason why you haven't heard much from the Reds. Speaking of which, does anyone know of the coaching situation there ?

Brian Speaking,

I told you some time ago that there would be a change at Ormond and you shot me down. Barney may be a favourite son down there but he is not the answer.

Guru

ps - why are Old Essendon spuriking themselves all over the ammos web site. You would reckon they would be one club that would just go about their business quietly and try and re-gain some respect rather than carrying on about their signings.

pps - who is going to get the OC1 job?

Making a change at Ormond at this point in time makes no sense. DM did an excellent job this year considering Chisholm, A Russell, Miller, Cove & Duthie missed 50+ games between them due to injuries. Player discipline mid year was a problem but blaming the coach is like blaming Worsfold for Cousins' problem. A tough stance was taken resulting in club imposed suspensions & winning 5 of the last 7 plus a ressies flag & U/19's r/up shows the club is on the right track. Stability & belief in DM is what is required at this point in time & he's the way to go. I've played under him the last 3 years & we were quick to hail him a huge success with a GF in '05 & finals in '06 so to cut him after a 10 - 8 season in '07 would be a joke. A terrific synergy exists amongst the coaches as well, unlike some of the other clubs in our vicinity, a point which is often under valued.

My sources say he's still very much in the mix M.M. He (and the Committee) will need to improve player behaviour both on and off the field. Sad to see some of the crap that went on last year. Very un-Ormond-like.

Agree entirely on the behaviour issue. This issue may take care of itself as some handy types unexpectedly came up from the ressies in the last part of the season & acquitted themselves well. This may result in some of the 'names' regularly out of line spending considerable time in the two's in '08 unless they pull their heads out of their ars*s both on & off the park. I for one am sick of playing with them & it was a bonus playing with guys like Nails, Hawk & Crumper who were so well disciplined after previously being pidgeon holed as ressies players. To DM's credit he played them, although I believe it took a bit of convincing.

What are the chances of Murray Pitts taking the Beaumaris coaching job, after the dramatic resignations of Russell Barnes as senior coach and most of the coaching panel as well?

Remove this Banner Ad

Coaching changes

Remove this Banner Ad

Back