Coaching Structure

Remove this Banner Ad

What does everyone ACTUALLY think about Brian Royal?

The question should be more "do we REALLY know if he can coach or not?" The answer is no - like the others he gets lumped in with the Bailey era and the less of them around the better but he has been in the caper for long enough to know what he is doing.

Then again, if he was out of contract then I have no doubt they would have let him go like they did with West and Williams.

What does everyone ACTUALLY think about Brian Royal?
I think Brian cops overly harsh criticism. I didn't really have any problems with the defensive structures we employed this year. The backline was really only ever taken apart more as a cause of problems further up field. Now back in his more natural environment as a midfield coach, I'm cautiously optimisitic of improvement in that area next year.

I really like the way our coaching structure is shaping up for next year. It appears to thoroughly cover all areas and I like that the club appears to have placed an emphasis on good coaching regardless of where the individual is from rather than just high profile names. Now that the finance side of things is in check, it's good to see the hierarchy really seem to have paid attention and learned from the successful clubs what is required to reach the top and are now genuinely determined to do everything in their power to see the club become equipped to rise and become a power again.

Incidentally, I would think that Dean Bailey must be insanely jealous of Mark Neeld. Neeld gets to step in at a time when Melbourne are realising the lengths it takes to be successful and are hellbent on resourcing the club, on and off the field, to reach the highest of heights and are fully encouraging Mark to go all out to bring a winning culture to our success starved club rather than coming into an under-resourced club with poor facilities that has a list that needs gutting and regenerating and is encouraged to lose.

Brett Lovett has been sacked by Sandi so they can appoint whoever the Saints new development coach ends up being. Wasn't about Lovetts ability as a coach (highly rated) twas purely bout trying to appease the saints. Do we offer Brett a role?

In a word, No. Unless he was part of Neeld's plans before this, why would we?

We are trying to get away from doing MFC old boys favours by gifting them jobs, while he might be a good/decent coach, unless Neeld wants him then I'm happy to firmly say no thanks.

Yeah probably didn't word that real well- it would obviously only be an option if Neeld wanted him. He wouldn't have planned on someone like Brett being available either. Guess assistant coach speculation is all fairly useless as you never know what they'll bring and who the senior coach would want.

Stupid off season's already boring me to death! :(

Yeah probably didn't word that real well- it would obviously only be an option if Neeld wanted him. He wouldn't have planned on someone like Brett being available either. Guess assistant coach speculation is all fairly useless as you never know what they'll bring and who the senior coach would want.

I think based on that article he was out of contract & surely he would have an out clause if offered a AFL level gig anyway, so likely he was available & if not already offered a spot not on their radar

I know, give it til Wednesday & trade week will start to get interesting

Or go look at all the draft camp results:)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I like that his first move was to cut Fev- not from a playing pov but from a 'Melbourne are the boss and if you dont like it shove it Casey' point of view.

The decision to not continue with Fev had been made before Lovett came on the scene. Lovett comments on being informed of it earlier in the selection process.

Remove this Banner Ad

Coaching Structure

Remove this Banner Ad

Back