Cold Chisel 30-1

Remove this Banner Ad

Amazing early succes, but by the time he got around to those soul covers, people started thinking "Hang on, is this any good or not?".
Do not think it mattered so much what other people thought. He was just getting into various different types of music he liked. He is just as happy to do that stuff as the down and dirty songs like Daylight. I like the raw rock stuff more but some other stuff I like too. Bodyswerve probably my favourite and the band he had then had great sound live. But enjoy Cold Chisel stuff the most. Saw them at Wangaratta few years back. Bucket list ticked off. Seen all my favourite live acts once. That was a special one.

Do not think it mattered so much what other people thought. He was just getting into various different types of music he liked. He is just as happy to do that stuff as the down and dirty songs like Daylight. I like the raw rock stuff more but some other stuff I like too. Bodyswerve probably my favourite and the band he had then had great sound live. But enjoy Cold Chisel stuff the most. Saw them at Wangaratta few years back. Bucket list ticked off. Seen all my favourite live acts once. That was a special one.

Reckon most of Chisel's rockabilly stuff like Rising Sun isn't that great and their sparser, bluesy material shows them at their best.

Quite a few people observed that he was slaughtering classics, and although I wasn't familiar with the original songs, when I took a step back I could see what they were talking about.

Just my view but I see Chisel/Jimmy's solo stuff as chalk and cheese.

Quite a few people observed that he was slaughtering classics, and although I wasn't familiar with the original songs, when I took a step back I could see what they were talking about.

Most of the songs were well before my time from 60's stuff he heard as a little kid.
But could not really remember many off top of my head so not something I listened to often.
There is an audience out there that does like some of that stuff and good luck to them.

But his best stuff has always been with a band like Cold Chisel. Bring out the best in each other musically.
But real bonus I also loved stuff as solo artist like Bodyswerve Album. That was a gem.

Amazing early success, but by the time he got around to those soul covers, people started thinking "Hang on, is this any good or not?". My old man was a fan until When A Man Loves A Woman...

I've got all the Moss/Walker/Prestwich outside material - and I mean all - but have kept clear of Jimmy's.

The Soul Deep album still remains his highest selling album. I didn't like or buy Psyclone or Heat.

Same, got all the solo members stuff and the "Freedom" Album which was basically Chisel sans Jimmy. Catfish used to play at the Oriental a bit back when it was still a cool pub.
Seen 'em all live too many times to count but best night was seeing Jimmy at the Bridgeway i'd say it was touring the Two Fires album. i remeber well cause i picked up a really nice bird that night...anyway me and my mates were up the front and Jimmy pulls us up on stage to sing Flame Trees with him.

Most of the songs were well before my time from 60's stuff he heard as a little kid.
But could not really remember many off top of my head so not something I listened to often.
There is an audience out there that does like some of that stuff and good luck to them.

But his best stuff has always been with a band like Cold Chisel. Bring out the best in each other musically.
But real bonus I also loved stuff as solo artist like Bodyswerve Album. That was a gem.

Went to the Soul Searching show. small room at the Entertainment Center, he actually still performed the night after his mum passed away. Was a bit flat in the first set but the second set he was firing and was true pro to come out and play anyway. Turned out to be a great show in the end with a heap of encores, don't think he wanted to leave the stage as it was prolly taking his mind of things tbh.

Same, got all the solo members stuff and the "Freedom" Album which was basically Chisel sans Jimmy. Catfish used to play at the Oriental a bit back when it was still a cool pub.

Their German record company put Freedom out on CD in 1996, which is the copy I have. Got some hard-to-come-by Catfish singles with tracks that don't appear elsewhere and a hand-made cassette signed by Don and containing five live Walker songs. The Ian Moss live album is quite difficult to find, and the Prestwich Live At The Basement DVD took years to track down. Also the Walker duet with Slim Dusty on Charleville, a really obscure CD.

Went to the Soul Searching show. small room at the Entertainment Center, he actually still performed the night after his mum passed away. Was a bit flat in the first set but the second set he was firing and was true pro to come out and play anyway. Turned out to be a great show in the end with a heap of encores, don't think he wanted to leave the stage as it was prolly taking his mind of things tbh.

Well going by hearing him talk recently he used being on stage a lot in life to take his mind away from things troubling him. Did not realise how ****ed up he was inside for much of life until recently. It is amazing he has lived through the stuff he has done to his body. He could easily have died off early like Bon Scott.

I recently bought the re released back catalogue on vinyl remastered

Early purchasers got a free bonus vinyl copy of Live At St.Leonard's Park, which was going for up to $300 on eBay. Then the buggers decided to release it officially.

A little bit cranky about that box set as it was originally limited to 2000 copies. Then they did a reprint, and another reprint, and another reprint...

Beware of "limited" stuff that isn't individually numbered.

Remember in the 80's when copies of You're Thirteen... sold for megabucks? It was nigh on unobtainable. First heard it at Monash Uni library, they had a mangy old copy that had been through the ringer.

Nowadays there's a lot of "mint" copies being sold on eBay. Pretty sure the ones with $3.99 price stickers are (virtually worthless) US re-issues. Been issued a few times on CD and isn't the collector's item it once was.

True but its value will be an issue for my kids when I'm done & dusted

I'm keeping mine !

I like Mossy, what is his best song in your opinion.? Tuckers' Daughter or Bow River.?

For those who knock Jimmy solo and with any other artist bar Chisel, I could post a few but if you had a leaning for other members it wouldn't make a diff.

It sorta bugs me because after the band is done, you see grievances from those who believe they didn't get the recognition.

It's team, right.?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anyone else got the 3 Big Hits CDs?

The Digipak casing isn't very hard-wearing, consequently it's rare to find this without significant wear to the edges.

The Andrew Durant Memorial Concert CD which features Barnes, Moss & Walker is quite rare (although plentiful on vinyl and DVD).

Last edited:
I like Mossy, what is his best song in your opinion.? Tuckers' Daughter or Bow River.?

For those who knock Jimmy solo and with any other artist bar Chisel, I could post a few but if you had a leaning for other members it wouldn't make a diff.

It sorta bugs me because after the band is done, you see grievances from those who believe they didn't get the recognition.

It's team, right.?

Do you mean songs he's written or songs he predominantly sings? Bow River is without doubt my fave. Out Of The Fire is good, catchy with a good hook, Mr Rain too, telephone booth, tuckers etc. Matchbook was filled with catchy, hooky tunes.

Not one he's written but still one of his best.

It's team, right.?

Do not understand fully your question. The band is never done whilst they all around. They will play together at various points. Think they have some new album in pipeline at some point.

Mossy, I seen live once or twice. For some reason Mr Rain comes to mind. Lots of good stuff from him, even something her on radio yesterday that heard a few times but do not know it's name. Must be something out now. I enjoyed his Matchbook album. Never really listened to Catfish stuff. They all very talented in their own right. That is what makes them so special coming together. Something great always comes forth as a result.

My best chisel moment is they keep producing great music and knowing more is to come. Which is crazy they so good at this day and age. Have to pinch myself they still an active band. We are lucky bastards they are so giving.

My best chisel moment is they keep producing great music and knowing more is to come. Which is crazy they so good at this day and age. Have to pinch myself they still an active band. We are lucky bastards they are so giving.

**** yeah ain’t it great? Last tour I went to 2 shows in WA and have seen them 3 times and never dissapointed. Much is made about the change in Jim’s singing voice but that has never for me detracted from the musicianship and feeling you get with the chisels. I have always loved their sense of adventure like bus station and Mexican wedding from the perfect crime and the title song itself. And all
For you has become everybit as classic and essential as a live staple I mean how many other bands are capable of that after 40
Years

Do not understand fully your question. The band is never done whilst they all around. They will play together at various points. Think they have some new album in pipeline at some point.

Mossy, I seen live once or twice. For some reason Mr Rain comes to mind. Lots of good stuff from him, even something her on radio yesterday that heard a few times but do not know it's name. Must be something out now. I enjoyed his Matchbook album. Never really listened to Catfish stuff. They all very talented in their own right. That is what makes them so special coming together. Something great always comes forth as a result.
If the question you are referring to is 'it's team, right.?', that was about Moss being bitter after Chisel broke up.

I don't see any other question there, apart from what you answered in regards to Moss' songs.

Except that they are not all still around. Steve Prestwich ring a bell.? He wrote or cowrote quite a few of their songs.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Cold Chisel 30-1

Remove this Banner Ad

Back