Coles Vs Woolworths/Safeway Which is the better supermarket?

Remove this Banner Ad

Coles for me - at least where I am they seem have a better range then the nearest Safeway. As for 'fresh' produce, Safeway's fruit and veg. always seems dodgy.

That said, we usually do a meat stock up at Vic. markets every 6 - 8 weeks and only get cold meat between then. Price and quality is sooo much better then ANY supermarket.

Depends what i need to buy, i prefer Coles bread over Safeway bread. Safeway rolls over Coles rolls. There's not many differences between Coles bread in different stores (the pre shipped coles brand bread) - however i can tell the difference between the individual store's own bakery who baked different bread etc.

Same with Safeway, one store bakes their bread better than other Safeway stores, so i stick with the store that does it best.

Woolworths, keeping buying there everyone my shares in Woolies have gone through the roof:cool:

The mall that I go to has both a Woolies and a Coles. The Coles has a lot more variety...much more but id say that the Woolies has more quality when it comes to F&V/Meat. I shop at Woolies. My workplace also supplies them with product.

I've always preferred Coles although I couldn't give a reason why.

you should try Deep Creek IGA

anfd them explain to me why you'd build a supermarket out there ;)

IGA sucks big time! The meat is always old their stock is always old and its always ********ing dear there.

Try there own products they taste like ******** too.:thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:

I've never heard of Foodland or The mighty South Aussies I live in Qld .

Up here we have these chains Coles, Woolworths, Aldi, Action, Iga, and Bilo,
I think Bilo has gone broke though as they seem to be getting replaced with Coles supermarkets and I'm not sure if Action has gone broke aswell Ive seen alot of thier shops getting replaced also.

I've never heard of Foodland or The mighty South Aussies I live in Qld .

Up here we have these chains Coles, Woolworths, Aldi, Action, Iga, and Bilo,
I think Bilo has gone broke though as they seem to be getting replaced with Coles supermarkets and I'm not sure if Action has gone broke aswell Ive seen alot of thier shops getting replaced also.

Foodland is South Australian only, but have begun franchising in QLD. The slogan is 'The mighty South Aussies, YEAH'...they aren't 2 different stores ;)

Coles have taken over Bilo.

Best supermarket in Melbourne is Leo's :thumbsu:

Fresh fruit & Vegies, meat is not "gassed" as in Coles/Safeways, variety of products not found in Coles/Safeway...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For a quick shop i.e just getting drinks or something I go to Coles as they are a more convenient place to go to as the closest Safeway is inside a shopping centre whilst Coles is now just around the corner having replaced BiLo and the other Coles is easy to go to.

But if doing a real shop its Safeway everytime, even though the one I go is further away its bigger and has more variety and as someone else said, much better chicken :D

Wollies produce is by far the worst around - the people who work there will confirm it. They just make the produce look fresh when it isn't.

Wollies produce is by far the worst around - the people who work there will confirm it. They just make the produce look fresh when it isn't.

I have always shopped at Woolworths and never had any problems with the produce.

I work at Woolworths and we suck. Our produce is hell dodgy at our store. I wouldnt feed it to my dead cat never mind real people

Get rid of the managers there then.. They obviously dont do quality checks and if they do, they are pretty crap at them.. You will find that over here, they are very selective with what is put out in the store.

My son is a manager of one of the produce depts here and is forever telling me just how picky they are with the produce.. His produce speciallist comes in regularly to check the dept and if Troy doesnt submit enough return claims, he demands to find out why as all stores have at least a certain percentage that they return on a daily basis as the stuff coming in from the growers isnt up to Woolworths standards..

I shop in another woolworths and always see the staff doing the hourly quality control checks.. after all, its in the best interest of the company and that particular store to be so stringent with its product.

I have worked at both coles and safeway. I'm now still at safeway and i know that i have enjoyed working for them much more than coles. Coles managers were always arrogant and not a friendly place to be. Coles don't even offer casuals weekly rosters, they just call you up an hour before they want you in the store. You can't plan your week, and you can't say no to them regularly because they tell you you won't have a job if it continues. Safeway on the other hand, are much moer friendly, provide weekly rosters which revolve around uni timeables, footy training and matches and a much happier place to work. As for the produce, i have seen it quite nice and fresh in both stores but have also seen some awful fruit on display.

Anyway, to cut a long story short, from an employees perspective i have found safeway far superior:thumbsu:
Im a manager at Coles and the company is changing direction in how we manage people. im not arrogant and always treat people with respect, which i think is important.

You didnt offend me. As i said, the company is very HR friendly these days and has set up a list of values and behaviours that they want all employees to honour including management.

Being a manager the biggest thing i have learnt is how far a warm greeting or a simple "your doing a great job" will get you. :thumbsu: :thumbsu:

Best supermarket in Melbourne is Leo's :thumbsu:

Fresh fruit & Vegies, meat is not "gassed" as in Coles/Safeways, variety of products not found in Coles/Safeway...

Amazing place. We live within a stones throw of a Safeway and a Coles and we make the little extra trek just to go to Leos. The place looks, feels and the food tastes better (except the roast chicken, gotta go Safeway for that one!)

Some more exotic foods there that you wouldnt find at Safeway/Coles too. I personally am not a huge fan of Coles. I dont know what it is about it, but it just seems really cheap. Not the prices i mean, just the quality and range of there products.

Interestingly enough anybody who lives around the greensborough area, in the plaza there is a BiLo and a Coles opposite each other on the bottom floor of the plaza. Coles has taken over BiLo stores so now there will be TWO coles right opposite each other. Absolutely ridiculous.

You didnt offend me. As i said, the company is very HR friendly these days and has set up a list of values and behaviours that they want all employees to honour including management.

Being a manager the biggest thing i have learnt is how far a warm greeting or a simple "your doing a great job" will get you. :thumbsu: :thumbsu:

Coles used to have a reputation years ago of being gentleman/woman and a pleasure to do business with, and woolies used to be the hard buggers, but greed took over them and they still don't really get it, maybe it's changed in the last couple of years, but I really doubt it. Woolies I think are still hard buggers but Coles are greedy buggers, and they continue to be so, just have a look at their directors over the last 20 years. It trickles down to store level.

Amazing place. We live within a stones throw of a Safeway and a Coles and we make the little extra trek just to go to Leos. The place looks, feels and the food tastes better (except the roast chicken, gotta go Safeway for that one!)

Some more exotic foods there that you wouldnt find at Safeway/Coles too. I personally am not a huge fan of Coles. I dont know what it is about it, but it just seems really cheap. Not the prices i mean, just the quality and range of there products.

Interestingly enough anybody who lives around the greensborough area, in the plaza there is a BiLo and a Coles opposite each other on the bottom floor of the plaza. Coles has taken over BiLo stores so now there will be TWO coles right opposite each other. Absolutely ridiculous.[/QUOTEW

Why is it ridiculous??? coles and bilo has been the same store for the last 2 years its only really a name change and a better range. Why give the store up to competition?? It makes business sense.

Safeway smahes Coles in the Deli...other produce is even, but F & V at Coles are a bit better. I reckon Coles must have better supplies, because Safeway are always missing something on my shopping list. Safeway I think are a bit cheaper too.

Safeways AutostockR must have cost the company millions, not that it seems to show up in the sales numbers.

Remove this Banner Ad

Coles Vs Woolworths/Safeway Which is the better supermarket?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back