Colin Sylvia to Fremantle

Remove this Banner Ad

Talent-wise he's a big upgrade on DeBoer, who spends most of his time on the forward flank with the occasional run in the middle.

But work ethic and defensive ability wise?

Still, there is a lot of potential in Sylvia, it cannot be denied. Freo got something out of Pearce this year, I'd back them to do the same with Sylvia next year.

Can't say I'm jumping for joy over this news, strikes me as Des Headland mk 2. Our mids run hard defensively so if he's willing to join Freo I can only hope he's prepared to "buy in". Don't think anybody questions his talent but consistency and workrate will need to improve 10 fold.

Coming from Melbourne I can tell he's going to have one hell of a torturous pre-season.

The only good value pick in recent memory that I can see that the Saints have made was Jack Steven. The St Kilda recruiting team may have lost a few picks to work with through trades (e.g. Lovett), but they have still been woeful, whereas ours seems to be reasonably good. That is a big difference between the clubs, and why we think it will help us succeed where the Saints failed.

I doubt we are going to crumble in a few years just because of Lyon. We may inevitably slide when Pav, McPharlin, Sandi retire, but that would happen no matter who the coach was.

Jack Steven came in the 2007 draft. If you think he is our one and only decent recruit in 6 years, you either don't watch a lot of St Kilda, are an incredibly harsh judge, or both.

But work ethic and defensive ability wise?

Still, there is a lot of potential in Sylvia, it cannot be denied. Freo got something out of Pearce this year, I'd back them to do the same with Sylvia next year.

Walters should be the pin up boy at Freo in terms of talented players lacking workrate turning their careers around, I hope it isn't beyond even Lyon.

Can't say I'm jumping for joy over this news, strikes me as Des Headland mk 2. Our mids run hard defensively so if he's willing to join Freo I can only hope he's prepared to "buy in". Don't think anybody questions his talent but consistency and workrate will need to improve 10 fold.

Coming from Melbourne I can tell he's going to have one hell of a torturous pre-season.

at the end of the day the risk is far lower with sylvia when you dont have to give up draft picks, good pick up i rekon

Ross Lyon was influential in the decision to hire both of them.

Yes, I am seeing a pattern. Sucks for you.

Our football manager and fitness manager were both hired by the board/CEO.

Don't know why you're letting the coach hire your football manager when the position is supposed to exist as a counter-balance to stop the coach sacrificing long-term strategy for short-term gain.

Our football manager and fitness manager were both hired by the board/CEO.

Don't know why you're letting the coach hire your football manager when the position is supposed to exist as a counter-balance to stop the coach sacrificing long-term strategy for short-term gain.

The coach didn't "hire", anybody, he was asked for his input and gave it.

You can twist it any way you want, but the Freo opinion that Ross Lyon held every job from CEO to boot studder at the Saints and that's why we fell down the ladder is becoming more and more elaborately farcical every time I hear it.

You can twist it any way you want, but the Freo opinion that Ross Lyon held every job from CEO to boot studder at the Saints and that's why we fell down the ladder is becoming more and more elaborately farcical every time I hear it.

It's not us saying that, that's just the impression Saints fans keep giving us to justify blaming the failings of all their different departments on one man.

If Freo draft poorly we blame our recruiters, Saints fans blame Lyon. See the difference?

at the end of the day the risk is far lower with sylvia when you dont have to give up draft picks, good pick up i rekon

That's the big difference. When St Kilda went out and got Lovett, Peake and Jesse Smith they burnt draft picks as well as spots on the list.

Now they get Pearce and Sylvia for free thanks for FA.

So far Freo's depth has meant Lyon hasn't played list cloggers over promising kids. There's been no McQualter and Eddy over Jarryn Geary. Although Lyon will have to make sure some kids get games to negotiate the transition away from some better older guys. In that way Sandilands and Griffens injuries were a blessing to get Zac Clarke up to speed.

Career ending (Pitt) and threatening (Morabito) injuries aren't a good sign for top draft picks though. That's the kind of horrible luck that takes out a chunk of players from an age range and lands you in a St Kilda kind of position where they have very little talent in the ages of 23-26 right now.

Huh? Are you saying Lyon is going to be banned for 12 months for poor list management?

And jeez, all these people who actually think Lyon doesn't own the list and doesn't get the players he wants. Give us a spell.

I'm not even saying what he is doing is wrong - just that they'd wanna win a flag to make it worth it.

Bond is the head of list management. He is the one who has been in charge of their list strategy since he got there, with Lloyd at his right hand.

Lyon doesn't get the ultimate say in drafting and trading, and nothing has noticeably changed since he arrived.

Ignore it all you like - these are the facts.

Career ending (Pitt) and threatening (Morabito) injuries aren't a good sign for top draft picks though. That's the kind of horrible luck that takes out a chunk of players from an age range and lands you in a St Kilda kind of position where they have very little talent in the ages of 23-26 right now.

That's been offset by the fact that Neale (#58) and Sutcliffe (#71) have turned out to be gem late picks.

That's where good recruiters really earn their money, and ours have been on fire lately.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's the big difference. When St Kilda went out and got Lovett, Peake and Jesse Smith they burnt draft picks as well as spots on the list.

Now they get Pearce and Sylvia for free thanks for FA.

So far Freo's depth has meant Lyon hasn't played list cloggers over promising kids. There's been no McQualter and Eddy over Jarryn Geary. Although Lyon will have to make sure some kids get games to negotiate the transition away from some better older guys. In that way Sandilands and Griffens injuries were a blessing to get Zac Clarke up to speed.

I must say this is incredibly refreshing to see an opposition supporter post this rather than the usual peddling of myths and untruths we're used to seeing.

You're right that the injuries suck but fortunately the club is in a position now where a full fit Morabito is more of a luxury rather than an absolute necessity.

It's not us saying that, that's just the impression Saints fans keep giving us to justify blaming the failings of all their different departments on one man.

If Freo draft poorly we blame our recruiters, Saints fans blame Lyon. See the difference?

Couldn't have said it better mysellf. What's their obsession?

Good get, I wanted him at Essendon but we all knew Bunk didn't anyhow, I like how everyone high jacks the thread to slag Essendon when they don't agree with a supporter from Essendon!

Bitter much...

Pretty sure this has once again been hijacked into a Ross Lyon/St Kilda debate.

Seen about one thing on Essendon.

Sensitive much.....

Potentially a huge move for us

Decent sized. Decent skills - just the potential factor in how he fits in to the team and how the Ross Lyon ethos is transcribed in to his brain

One only has to look at Crowley, Walters, Johnson (among others) as to how a decent player with big potential and an average work rate/effort can be transformed with the proper coaching/developemt/gameplan techniques

Bond is the head of list management. He is the one who has been in charge of their list strategy since he got there, with Lloyd at his right hand.

Lyon doesn't get the ultimate say in drafting and trading, and nothing has noticeably changed since he arrived.

Ignore it all you like - these are the facts.

Who cares about some org chart?

I ask again - so Lyon doesn't get the players he wants at the club?

Not to sound like I have sour grapes (really, I don't), but I just don't see how he fits in at Subi at all.

I like Col and would much rather he go to a Collingwood or Carlton. He can thrive on the MCG.

Who cares about some org chart?

I ask again - so Lyon doesn't get the players he wants at the club?

You should have seen how p*ssed he was that we didn't end up drafting a KPF with our ND picks in the last draft.

He'd probably have grabbed Tim O'Brien or Mason Shaw with our first pick even though they proved to be reaches. The team ended up picking Josh Simpson as he was best available.

So no, Lyon doesn't always get what he wants. His preferences and requirements will matter. But they're part of the picture, not all of it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Colin Sylvia to Fremantle

Remove this Banner Ad

Back