Unofficial Preview Coll vs Rich (Armstrong & Dwyer out, Seed and JDG confirmed, team in OP)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cant see it working with both Witts and Grundy in the team at the moment. Only possible scenario is dump White and a fit Ben Reid playing forward. The resting ruck can stay in goal square with Cloke and Reid roaming around. Otherwise we play 1 ruck and use White as cannon fodder for backup ruck and use a 3rd man up.

White certainly could have went a lot harder at the contest early but he improved and took 5 marks inside 50 and finished with 2.2 that really should have been 4 goals.

He's bloody frustrating but he still looks more dangerous up forward than Gault or the resting ruck.
Absolutely. I thought he was alright. Footy fans have become so focussed on errors that they seem to outweigh positives.

Probably should leave the suggestions till after the VFL tonight, however no one else seems to rely on form either...

OUT: Armstrong, Dwyer, Karnezis, Blair (if sidebottom ready)
IN: Ramsey, DeGoey, Seedsman.

Cloke must play high, Witts deep, changing with White and Grundy (we'll know after 15 min)

B: T.Goldsack, J.Frost, M.Williams
HB: T.Langdon, N.Brown, A.Toovey
C: P.Seedsman, J. Crisp, J. White
HF: T.Broomhead, T.Cloke, S. Pendlebury
F: J. Elliott, J.Witts, J.Blair
R: B.Grundy, D. Swan, T.Adams
I: J. DeGoey, Ramsey , T. Varcoe, A. Oxley

Dwyer, Blair and Armstrong got pushed off the ball too many times. I know Blair tries but he's just a midget. Ramsey DeGoey & Seedsman to come back in.

People advocating Witts going out?

I thought other than that dropped mark down back he was terrific. He was probably one of our only players to turn up in that first quarter. He was up forward a threat on the lead, taking a nice mark easily out in front like it was routine as it is for him.

Then up the ground he took countless marks leading up to the ball and behind the play.

Grundy is a best 3/4 player on the list based on early season performance, but I'd definitely class Witts a clear best 15 player. Terrific in the VFL last week and liked what he offered last night.

This is another example where I'm not entirely sure if people were watching the same game. So it was a routine taking marks up forward, and up the ground he took countless marks.. now let's see how many marks he had for the game... three... one..two..three. Yes, Witts had the exact same amount of countless marks as Blair.

There were 3-4 opportunitys when Witts had a great opportunity to impact a pack only to meekly go under the ball and allow it to go over the back straight to Geelong. Witts had 4 Clangers from 7 kicks, the 2nd highest amount on our team. When he got the ball in space he panicked and went long straight to Geelong players. And let's not even talk about when the ball was in dispute on the ground, where his attempts to fight for possession involve him lumbering after the ball at a painstakingly slow speed, then falling over and sticking out a hand as the Geelong player runs away from him.

Witts shows potential, and as a 22 year old 7ft giant we have to be patient with him, but I'm truly bemused you could think he was terrific. I agree he was solid early, but after that his game consisted of constant turnovers by foot, dropped marks, failure to impact contests and being uncompetitive on the deck.

I considered Witts among our better half on the day. I had zero issues with his game. Given it's his first game back in the 1s. I'm pleased with his performance.

He dominated the hitouts when playing through the ruck as expected. Took some strong marks. Drew a couple of frees from mark attempts where he presented strongly at the ball.

If I was to point out poor performers: Dwyer, Frost, Blair and Adams are the only players I would describe in that game as poor. Then you've got the likes of Armstrong, Karnezis, Elliott and Varcoe among others who were unimpressive.

Outside of Pendlebury, Grundy, Brown and Toovey there were few others who were all that impressive. I'd certainly struggle to name 10 of our players who played better than Witts.

Witts for me was in my better half anyway, playing his role and living up to his end of the bargain.

Pace and footskills for a 209cm ruckman aren't my primary concerns. Any ruckman will look slow v Stanley and Blicavs. But any ruckman who plays will look good v either of them in the ruck contest. So that pace is hardly so concerning.

If there is an area that I was disappointed in with Witts I'd identify more his followup work and tackling to be those areas I want more of from him, with those in seasons past his trademark and what he needs to get back to doing to perform to his potential.

The most disappointing thing about the game from the perspectives of both our rucks was that we couldn't convert the dominance in the hit outs into clearance. This could be easily be the fault of the midfielders than the rucks though. Long term we should be looking to play both of them to monster other teams in the clearance.

Witts showed what an awesome talent he could be in the first quarter. Grundy is very good but Witts is the greater talent imo. I'm not at all surprised though, given it was his first game back, that he got caught in possession and made a few mistakes.

OUT: Armstrong, Karnezis, Witts, Dwyer
Ins: De Goey, Marsh, Seedsman, Ramsay

I wanted De Goey and Marsh in this week!!! De Goey has class, Marsh has earned a chance given injuries to others. Both will throw themselves in and not die wondering,

Witts: Got ability all right, did not go hard enough, Did not hit packs, did not impact or influence enough contests.

Armstrong is not AFL quality, too soft,

Karnezis is another who failed to provide dash and looked soft,

Dwyer, injured or not, did nothing and looked soft,

Varcoe, looked soft,

Sidey is not fit, will not play, I'd bring him in for Varcoe if he was.

Varcoe embarrassingly soft when its crunch time, Geelong players strolling through our tackles all night and he was one of the main culprits.

Last edited:
I agree the Cloke/White/Gault combo was successful, just not sure who else to drop. It's probably unlikely that all of Ramsay/Seedy/Rusty will be available though...
Corey Galt had to be dropped for Jarrod Witts. He hadn't been doing enough, and his opponent had been peeling off to double team Cloke. He needs good VFL form before returning.
Out: Armstrong, Dwyer, White
In: De Goey, Sidebottom, Seedsman
They're the same changes as me. I don't think Ramsay is an automatic inclusion as some people do.

B: Toovey, Frost, Goldsack
HB: Langdon, Brown, Williams
C: Seedsman, Adams, Varcoe
HF: Broomhead, Cloke, Swan
For: Elliott, White, Blair
Foll: Grundy, Pendlebury, Sidebottom

Inter: Crisp, Witts, Oxley, DeGoey
Emer: Karnezis, Ramsay, Kennedy.

In: Sidebottom, Seedsman, DeGoey
Out: Armstrong, Dwyer, Karnezis

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I admit that one where he missed 40M out was bad. But Cloke missed an even easier one. You do also realize that contests where he does pull out of is when Cloke goes up for the mark? Why have two talls go up for the mark?
Sorry but I'm pretty sure I saw White on more than one occasion whistling at the ball saying "here ball, here ball" and hoping it would jump off the ground and into his arms. I like what he does sometimes but when he does that I want to throw something at the telly. It's piss poor and I will be shockedf if he doesn't get dropped as a direct consequence. I'd rather see Gault out there who really isn't ready but at least knows when it's his turn to go.

Blair is not going to be in our best 22 in 2 years time so why not play Abbott, Degoey,Freeman or Ben Kennedy instead and develop them when we are rebuilding anyway.

Armstrong Dwyer Blair should not have a monopoly on a best 22 spot when we are in tebuild mode. Our quality kids need exposure especially when they regularly in the bests at vfl level. Freeman may need more time but the rest including Marsh needs exposure and games pumped into them.

Witts made some glaring errors but he was actually dominant in the 1st quarter but our mids didn't take advantage of it.

Stays in for mine. One thing I will say is he needs to do more strength and explosive work in the gym. He really lacks power but i getting afraid we have another Josh Fraser on our hands allergic to weights.

Probably should leave the suggestions till after the VFL tonight, however no one else seems to rely on form either...

OUT: Armstrong, Dwyer, Karnezis, Blair (if sidebottom ready)
IN: Ramsey, DeGoey, Seedsman.
Did Ramsay and Seedsman suddenly lose form whilst missing a game? How bad would De Goey have to play today to be considered no longer in form?

Corey Galt had to be dropped for Jarrod Witts. He hadn't been doing enough, and his opponent had been peeling off to double team Cloke. He needs good VFL form before returning.
I really can't argue with that.

Witts made some glaring errors but he was actually dominant in the 1st quarter but our mids didn't take advantage of it.

Stays in for mine. One thing I will say is he needs to do more strength and explosive work in the gym. He really lacks power but i getting afraid we have another Josh Fraser on our hands allergic to weights.

Buckley ruled out Sidey in the post-match.

Ramsay for Armstrong, Seeds for Dywer.

This is how I'd be approaching it.

I don't like two ruckman personally because the ball tends to come out of our forward half very easily if we don't mark it. Thurlow and Enright having just shy of 60 possessions between them shouldn't happen with our game plan. The thing is though we've only seen it once this year against a team that went with two mobile ruckman. Against Maric and Griffiths/ Vickery it might be valuable to wear Maric down so Witts stays.

Ramsay and Seedsmen provide us with much needed speed because that was the key factor last night. When we don't bring the intensity against a team that flicks the ball around we get exposed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back