Collingwood Draft Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Once again you continue to prove you know nothing about footy and you obsession with collingwood(for a carlton supporter) is hillarious.

I am far more confident about Thomas becoming a very good mid than any other player we drafted last year. He can win the footy one on one, he has excellent leg speed(not sure what drugs you on with the call) is tougher and has more courage(just look at the way he through is light frame through the air last year) than any other player we drafted last year. He ave around 12-15 possies playing mainly as a hff last year. Thats alot of footy for a first year player in what is often known as starvation corner. He has great first touch hands and is good in traffic. Best of all he is an outstanding decision maker. He just knows what to do and when to do it.
The only question mark is his engine, can he run out a game in the guts??
No doubt he will spend time up forward because he has that x factor that you occassionly need to go forward but I am extremly confident that in Thomas we have a gun midfielder(from about 2008) on our hands.

If you know anything about footy you should always know that rankings mean nothing come draft day and mean even less once the kids start to play. Thomas proved himself very worthy of that pick last year and most people know that except you.
I agree 100%

...Daisy will be a gun mid. Plenty of courage this year when he had no weight. ..

Courage? Now that is funny. He spent most of the year waiting outside packs for the soft receive. Not a natural midfielder. And regarding the leg-speed issue, go watch the Pies V Bulldogs game, and watch him try to chase Farren Ray. It was embarassing. I'm sure the Pies running coaches will be trying to improve that aspect. He is a good player. I have never denied that. But he never was worthy of top-10 selection. History now I guess. :)

Thomas was eq. 5th in the 20m sprint in his draft camp, I don't have any concerns over his speed. I did think we reached for him, preferring Ellis at the time and thinking we could have taken him with our pick #5, but Hawthorn later dispelled that theory.

Anyway, I was pleased with most of our selections, I think Dawes should have waited and we could possibly have picked up a better midfielder at #28. I was surprised to see Connors go so late.

The jury will be out on Ben Reid for a long time, but I love the look of Nathan Brown already.

Courage? Now that is funny. He spent most of the year waiting outside packs for the soft receive. Not a natural midfielder. And regarding the leg-speed issue, go watch the Pies V Bulldogs game, and watch him try to chase Farren Ray. It was embarassing. I'm sure the Pies running coaches will be trying to improve that aspect. He is a good player. I have never denied that. But he never was worthy of top-10 selection. History now I guess. :)

When Farren Ray was ripping us to pieces in the final, it was Tarkyn Lockyer who was playing on him. Dale Thomas got 2.93 over 20m at the DC. That is quick. And he's not soft -- have you actually watched him play at all?

What's with the Collingwood obsession? Is the only way you can feel good about your club and your youngsters to rip down others? Pretty sad if that's the case.

As a Carlton supporter you've got more than enough to worry about without acting 'concern troll' about Collingwood or Dale Thomas.

When Farren Ray was ripping us to pieces in the final, it was Tarkyn Lockyer who was playing on him. Dale Thomas got 2.93 over 20m at the DC. That is quick. And he's not soft -- have you actually watched him play at all?

What's with the Collingwood obsession? Is the only way you can feel good about your club and your youngsters to rip down others? Pretty sad if that's the case.

As a Carlton supporter you've got more than enough to worry about without acting 'concern troll' about Collingwood or Dale Thomas.

It was Tark's - Tarks had 7 touches on Ray - Ray had 16 on Tark's

Just a couple of points Collingwood people.

Your recruiters decided they needed KPP stocks. They subsequently went out and drafted the three best ones they could get with their picks. Sound plan to me.

Next Daisy will be a superstar, anyone bagging him is jealous, believe me. Ellis/Daisy similar reps, but Daisy has done it Ellis hasn't.

My only negative point and this isn't Collingwood specific (a lot of teams did this) is FFS why were so many talls drafted. Not every club could be that short on them, and if you take a critical look at the draft, so may talls were drafted that a number 18 pick midfielder, got you a top 5 pick and a number 56 pick (Moss) got you a top 10 or 12 pick.

I am possibly exaggerating slightly, but the most frustrating thing from a supporters point of view with modern day footy is the lack of strategic ability in the management of clubs. I swear the recruiters are that insecure about getting it wrong that they all copy each other. One says this year is the superdraft for talls so they all copy each other like domino's.

If I was in charge I would have picked 5 mids, because you would have got 2 or 3 years worth of drafts in one hit, because almost no one was picking them.

Think about this...

8. David Armitage
10. Leroy Jetta
28. Cayton Collard
44. Gary Moss
63. Calib Mourish

Just a thought.

Collingwood delisted a host of talls
Cloke 190
Cloke 195
Hall 198
Fanning 204
Walker 195

Traded
Tarrant 193

With that lot gone we were starting to look a bit short

Must be draft time, the only time that the blind optimism of parrot is any use to his team :)

Just a couple of points Collingwood people.

Your recruiters decided they needed KPP stocks. They subsequently went out and drafted the three best ones they could get with their picks. Sound plan to me.

Next Daisy will be a superstar, anyone bagging him is jealous, believe me. Ellis/Daisy similar reps, but Daisy has done it Ellis hasn't.

My only negative point and this isn't Collingwood specific (a lot of teams did this) is FFS why were so many talls drafted. Not every club could be that short on them, and if you take a critical look at the draft, so may talls were drafted that a number 18 pick midfielder, got you a top 5 pick and a number 56 pick (Moss) got you a top 10 or 12 pick.

I am possibly exaggerating slightly, but the most frustrating thing from a supporters point of view with modern day footy is the lack of strategic ability in the management of clubs. I swear the recruiters are that insecure about getting it wrong that they all copy each other. One says this year is the superdraft for talls so they all copy each other like domino's.

If I was in charge I would have picked 5 mids, because you would have got 2 or 3 years worth of drafts in one hit, because almost no one was picking them.

Think about this...

8. David Armitage
10. Leroy Jetta
28. Cayton Collard
44. Gary Moss
63. Calib Mourish

Just a thought.
Collingwood would be known as the land of short people.

Didn't see the 2nd WCE game. Got smashed early and injured his shoulder. Came back on later to be listed in our best players.

Plays 4 weeks after breaking a collar bone.

I would say that's proven courage.

As I said, how many years has Ray been playing? Players get fitter the more years they get into them and therefore can go at top speed more regularly during a game.

Not worthy of a top 10 you say but you haven't said who'd you have taken instead.

More then happy, as most Pie fans are, to have him.

Parrot = Poo:thumbsdown:

Which teams did this?

WCE & Collingwood were the only ones who went heavy on the talls. I doubt WCE or Collingwood can in their current recruiting be accused of being conformist! I can see now that they have remarkably similar recruiting criteria.

One of our talls is something of a midfielder anyway and we did pick up Stiffy Mach II who is an electric midfielder.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As I said, how many years has Ray been playing? Players get fitter the more years they get into them and therefore can go at top speed more regularly during a game.
If Daisy ever gets out run by anyone, it's because he's probably just ran 600 metres at full pace chasing the ball.

Farren Ray only jogs a few metres every now and then to avoid a contested situation, until he gets spoon fed the pill.

If Daisy ever gets out run by anyone, it's because he's probably just ran 600 metres at full pace chasing the ball.

Farren Ray only jogs a few metres every now and then to avoid a contested situation, until he gets spoon fed the pill.

Farran Ray just ran off Thomas with ease, and put considerable distance between them over the 40-50m. Grab yourself a video again, and watch closely. There were several other revealing incidents as well in other games. Thomas's endurance is obviously an issue, but something he can work on. Thomas's great strength, is as an opportunist in the forward line. He knows how to position himself to receive the ball out of a pack, and has very good disposal, and is a reasonable kick for goal. His weaknesses are endurance, lack of burst speed, and a tendency to avoid heavily contested situations. He just doesn't like getting the hard ball, which is OK I guess, so long as his other attributes are good, which they are. Thomas is also a great mark considering his small stature. Last year I ranked him #12. This year he'd go around #34. Pendlebury is just a much better prospect. :)

Please with what we've done in the draft... obvious we aren't going to win a flag with even the core of the list we have now so this a clear indication we want to change that core...
it's going to take a couple of years for some of these big kids although i reckon Nathan Brown will play next year... what chance he becomes the best Nathan Brown in the league?

I somewhat agree, in that I think we should have done more to bolster the midfield by taking Dawes later if we were keen on him, and I think we would have gotten better value for the pick because of the preference for talls you mentioned.

On the matter of Thomas, I wasn't happy initially, but now am absolutely sold. The kid's decision making puts many veterans to shame, he's a genius.

Good to see the pies went for the best available with each ick. Dawes is the only gamble, but if he wasn't injured would he have been top 10? Top 5? Thats a fair punt, the Eagles punt on Judd paid off so its worth trying.

You know they've done well when the usual suspects start bagging it. Hilarious stuff, P, you are the funniest guy on BF without a doubt.:thumbsu:

Courage? Now that is funny. He spent most of the year waiting outside packs for the soft receive.

...except when he was cruched in a pack vs WC, went back out and wore a huge hit from Lynch (or was it Seaby?) to win a contested ball...and except for all those other times....

Not a natural midfielder.

Just a natural footballer.

And regarding the leg-speed issue, go watch the Pies V Bulldogs game, and watch him try to chase Farren Ray. It was embarassing.

You are getting an erection over that passage of play, I reckon you owe it to the Doggies to buy a membership this year.

FWIW Thomas needs to improve his endurance, but his speed is fine. He was belted early in that final (all's fair of course, we were belting too) and was not his usual sparky self.

I'm sure the Pies running coaches will be trying to improve that aspect. He is a good player. I have never denied that.

You're trying to siound reasonable now?:D

But he never was worthy of top-10 selection. History now I guess. :)

History shows he was better suited to a full season of manly football than a certain pauper clubs injury prone first selection;).

[insane parrot mode] No doubting Murphy's a good kid, but that little body, carrying so many expectations, has obviously crumbled before its time.[/insane parrot mode]

Hey that was fun. If you just switch off your brain, you can see the world through Parrot coloured glasses!

WE PASSED ON TIPPETT, MCKENZIE, COLLARD AND PICK DAWES (Who would have been around with our last pick!!!!). NOOOOOOO

No DAWES would not have been around at our last pick, you just don't pass up on talent like him and when he does play it will be out the way ROCCA!

Again, what was the point of trading Tarrant, I have never heard of Ben Reid.

What happened to the mid-fielders we need, Holland Licca etc are finished already.

They expect me to deliver my $200.00 social club membership everyear for what?

Hey stevie wonder open up your eyes he is 17yo!

Remove this Banner Ad

Collingwood Draft Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back