Universal Love Collingwood for the Millennials.

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 31, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
I love the Collingwood football club more than I love fortnite and Alcohol. I’m 22, but moved to Australia in 2007. I’m looking for stories prior to 2007. I would say I know a bit of the past decade or so.

Treat me like a blank canvas.
I know the legends : Richards, Daicos, Moore, Buckley. But I want some more in detail Collingwood stories? Your favourite Collingwood match or memory? Favourite Collingwood player? First game? Who did you like as a player but everyone hated? (Eg Mayne, I’m only kidding)
Information that will enlighten us young ones, and give us a greater understanding and love for this magnificent football club.
I want to expand my current Collingwood Football club knowledge.

If your post is amazing, I might transfer you some bitcoin.

I love your passion. Fantastic thread

I'm 35 and all throughout the 90's I was taken every single week to Victoria Park by my grandmother.
We sat in the same seat for a decade behind the goal about 10 rows behind the cheer squad.

For the younger fans who never got to experience Victoria Park. It was just so different to footy today.

It was so loud.
So passionate.
So black and white and as a child and teen I was just captivated.
I used to wear Saverio roccas number on my jumper and my grandmother was madly in love with Daics.
I still get to our vfl games there even though it's changed alot the old stand we sat in is still there.
Hopefully you've been down there chrispiessss , if you haven't you should go have a look.

I love your passion. Fantastic thread

I'm 35 and all throughout the 90's I was taken every single week to Victoria Park by my grandmother.
We sat in the same seat for a decade behind the goal about 10 rows behind the cheer squad.

For the younger fans who never got to experience Victoria Park. It was just so different to footy today.

It was so loud.
So passionate.
So black and white and as a child and teen I was just captivated.
I used to wear Saverio roccas number on my jumper and my grandmother was madly in love with Daics.
I still get to our vfl games there even though it's changed alot the old stand we sat in is still there.
Hopefully you've been down there chrispiessss , if you haven't you should go have a look.

I’ve always wanted to head down to VP. Every poster who’s been there always raves about it. I think I will soon enough. Thanks for your contribution!!

Sav Rocca, your all time fav player?

I love the Collingwood football club more than I love fortnite and Alcohol. I’m 22, but moved to Australia in 2007. I’m looking for stories prior to 2007. I would say I know a bit of the past decade or so.

I know the legends : Richards, Daicos, Moore, Buckley. But I want some more in detail Collingwood stories? Your favourite Collingwood match or memory? Favourite Collingwood player? First game? Who did you like as a player but everyone hated? (Eg Mayne, I’m only kidding)
Information that will enlighten us young ones, and give us a greater understanding and love for this magnificent football club.

Guy Richards really wasn’t that great man.

I know it can be hard for those who did not live through it, to understand the hate for Carlton. I've even seen BF posters suggest that some of us older fans should 'move on'.:mad::mad::mad: Well, that aint happening.

But if you can open your heart to it, if you can let it dominate your every thought, if you dedicate your life to it, then you will more fully appreciate and enjoy the amazing times in which we currently live.

If you can do all the above, then you will have grasped the essence of being a Collingwood fan pre-2007. In fact pre anytime up until about 1970.

And excellent choice on your arrival in the country, BTW.

I grew up in Geelong barracking for Collingwood. My father took me to see them play at Kardinia Park when I was 4. He built some stilts for me to stand on as it was standing room only in those days. We stood on the hill under the old scoreboard and the game seemed a long way away. I dont remember much else. The next year our neighbors took Dad and I to Vic Park to see Collingwood and Geelong. I remember everything. Mckenna starred. Barry Price was giving him silver service and the pies were rampant. We stood behind the goals at the Yarra Falls end. Just before half time, McKenna marked a mile out. He went back and kicked one of the very few torps he ever kicked. It sailed on and on and on and went as straight as an arrow. The crowd exploded. People were throwing hats in the air and going ape. I fell in love right then. Ive never lost that love. 1970 was just around the corner. That's when I learned to hate. I measure everyone against the heroes of my childhood Thompson, Greening, Price, McKenna, the Richardsons, Tuddy, Potter, Clifton, Dean and Jenkin. They probably weren't as good as I remember them but they will remain Gods to me till the day I die.

Last edited:
I know it can be hard for those who did not live through it, to understand the hate for Carlton. I've even seen BF posters suggest that some of us older fans should 'move on'.:mad::mad::mad: Well, that aint happening.

But if you can open your heart to it, if you can let it dominate your every thought, if you dedicate your life to it, then you will more fully appreciate and enjoy the amazing times in which we currently live.

If you can do all the above, then you will have grasped the essence of being a Collingwood fan pre-2007. In fact pre anytime up until about 1970.

And excellent choice on your arrival in the country, BTW.

Carlton is in my top 3 most hated clubs. Hate the bombers, but mostly hate the tigers. The bloody bangwagoners.

Sometimes, I looked back and go f me. Could you imagine if I chose the Hawks? 4 Wins in 11 years? Fook me. But then I wouldn’t have the pleasure of watching Schaz, Aish and hopefully The Bear play.
Most importantly, I wouldn’t know about The Great Dane.

Last edited:
I grew up in geelong barracking for collingwood. My father took me to see them play at kardinia park when i was 4. He built some stilts for me to stand on as it was standing room only in those days. We stood on the hill under the old scoreboard and the game seemed a ling way away. I dont remember much else. The next year our neighbors took dad and I to vic park to see collingwood and geelong. I remember everything. Mckenna starred. Barry Price was giving him silver service and the pies were rampant. We stood behind the goals at the yarra falls end. Just before half time mckenna marked a mile out. He went back and kicked one of the very few torps he ever kickef. It sailed on and on and on and went as straight as an arrow. The crowd exploded. People werr throwing hats in the air and going ape. I fell in love right then. Ive never lost that love. 1970 was just around the corner. Thats when I learned to hate. I measure everyone against the heroes of my childhood thompson grerning price mckenna the richardsons tuddy potter clifton dean jenkins. They probably werent as good as I remember them but they will remain gods to me till the day I die
My whole childhood was devoted to the pies. I didn;t have much else. McKenna was on my bedroom wall. SO were pictures of Greening and ALan Atknson taking screamers but my favorte player was Barry Price. I used to spend hours in the back yard trying to hit targets with little stab passes. Mum's garden never amounted to much

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My whole childhood was devoted to the pies. I didn;t have much else. McKenna was on my bedroom wall. SO were pictures of Greening and ALan Atknson taking screamers but my favorte player was Barry Price. I used to spend hours in the back yard trying to hit targets with little stab passes. Mum's garden never amounted to much
Now I live in the town where Barry Price grew up. I see his brother occassionally. Every time I do, I want to genuflect and that's his brother. When Price apearedon a Collingwood promo a couple of years ago, I teared up. He was seriously sublime. I reckon even I would've kicked a goal a game with him delivering the ball forward

I'm in my early 40s so I went to a lot of suburban and VFL/AFL footy in the 80s and 90s.

Main thing I would say about footy and supporting Collingwood back then is that it was a much more primal and visceral experience. We were hated and we loved it.

Arrive at the game, grab some hot jam donuts, shove your copy of The Herald or The Sun under your duffle coated arm and take in the smell of spilt beer, cigarettes, excitement and venom that hung in the air.

The game was harder. Much harder. Not more difficult, but you had to be brave in a different way. The game was a combination of athleticism, skill and toughness. The AFL has all but erased the last one of those three elements from the game. In some ways this is a very good thing. The cowardly sniping and life-threatening shirt fronts are all but gone now. But we've gone too far. Bumps, hard tackles and just the sheer physicality and aggression are gone.

You basically have to give something to get something.

Another example is the loss of the elite local competition. Even though I grew up in Canberra, I loved the Victorian-ness of the VFL and especially of being a Collingwood supporter.

You really were a part of an army at Vic Park. The team were our warriors and we wanted victory. Daicos gliding around the pockets kicking the types of goals no one knew existed. Millane like a wild bull, smashing through packs and running rampant across the wing. Tony Shaw like a mad ferret, burrowing in then appearing for a just a moment to bite an opponent on the metaphorical finger.

There weren't Thursday night games or ANZAC Day games. It was all on the weekend and all in the afternoon. Melbourne basically stopped for a couple of hours. People at the game would have their radios in hand and I remember the cheers at Vic Park when the scores would come in and Carlton were losing.

Footy wasnt a product to be consumed. There weren't franchises. It was just a part of life. The sound of Lou Richards' barking voice on the TV meant that it was cold outside, we might get a hot dog for lunch, the footy was on telly and all was right with the world.

Last edited:

The posters! I ran out of wall space so I covered my entire ceiling with Collingwood posters.

Such a shame there wasn't a photo taken.

I'm in my early 40s so I went to a lot of suburban and VFL/AFL footy in the 80s and 90s.

Main thing I would say about footy amd supporting Collingwood back then is that it was a much more primal and visceral experience. We were hated and we loved it.

Arrive at the game, grab some hot jam donuts, shove your copy of The Herald or The Sun under your duffle coated arm and take in the smell of spilt beer, cigarettes, excitement and venom that hung in the air.

The game was harder. Much harder. Not more difficult, but you had to be brave in a different way. The game was a combination of athleticism, skill and toughness. The AFL has all but erased the last one of those three elements from the game. In some ways this is a very good thing. The cowardly sniping and life-threatening shirt fronts are all but gone now. But we've gone too far. Bumps, hard tackles and just the sheer physicality and aggression are gone.

You basically have to give something to get something.

Another example is the loss of the elite local competition. Even though I grew up in Canberra, I loved the Victorian-ness of the VFL and especially of being a Collingwood supporter.

You really were a part of an army at Vic Park. The team were our warriors and we wanted victory. Daicos gliding around the pockets kicking the types of goals no one knew existed. Millane like a wild bull, smashing through packs and running rampant across the wing. Tony Shaw like a mad ferret, burrowing in then appearing for a just a moment to bite an opponent on the metaphorical finger.

There weren't Thursday night games or ANZAC Day games. It was all on the weekend and all in the afternoon. Melbourne basically stopped for a couple of hours. People at the game would have their radios in hand and I remember the cheers at Vic Park when the scores would come in and Carlton were losing.

Footy wasnt a product to be consumed. There weren't franchises. It was just a part of life. The sound of Lou Richards' barking voice on the TV meant that it was cold outside, we might get a hot dog for lunch, the footy was on telly and all was right with the world.

Genuine shivers down the spine stuff.

I'm 34.

Grew up idolising Peter Daicos.

I watched a video of him when i was younger and at the time i didn't realise he was joking but when asked how does he kick these goals from impossible angles and bend the ball the way he does, his reply "I wear my boots on the opposite feet".. so i trained and practiced with my boots on the opposite feet to kick goals like Daics.. haha..

Victoria Park and Waverly Park were the grounds i mostly went to as a kid.

VP was a hostile ground, it gave us an edge because of how loud and passionate we were, but interstate clubs travelling gave it a good crack.. especially Adelaide, they were probably the only club more feral than us!..

I remember when i was only 6 or 7 walking past a bus load of their supporters and i was in my collingwood gear and they were trying to spit on me from the bus.

Waverly Park was colder than Antartica when the wind was blowing and the rain was coming down, but it was the best playing surface in the competition, the most pristine ground you've ever seen.

I had the 1990 Grand Final on VHS and i swear i watch that every day for 6 months, Daicos's goal from the pocket, Gavin Brown getting KO'd in the half time brawl and Darren Millane finishing with the ball in his hands with his heavily strapped broken thumb, for my 8th birthday i was given a folder of professionally taken photographs of the Grand Final from the final siren, the medal presentation and the laps of the ground with the premiership cup. I still have them at my mums house with all my Collingwood stuff from when i was a kid.

I still remember the day my mum told me Darren Millane had passed away, after school on the corner of my street, i cried myself to sleep that night.. Being so young death was a relatively new concept to me.. She took me to his grave at Springvale Cemetary, i would have sat next to his final resting place for 2 hours and my mum was happy to let me grieve. I left my Darren Millane badge on his tombstone.

My childhood memories of the Pies are some of the best memories of my life, it brought a different type of excitement than being an adult, i don't think it can be replicated aside from that feeling you get in Finals. That feeling in the pit of your stomach was there for every game as a child.

I love how passionate you are only being in Australia for a short time, you're what our club embodies.
It's a club for everyone and we literally do stand side by side (well except for the meltdowns and tantrums on bigfooty after a loss) ;)

I came home in a Collingwood jumper. So I’m at 28 years of supporting our magpies. I’ve grown up in Canberra so supporting AFL in a NRL town was tough. I was seen as an outsider and got quite a lot of stick for it. Looking back now I laugh, because NRL is dead and AFL is flourishing. Knowing my kids will grow up with AFL everywhere will make up for it.

My favourite football moment other than the grand final was meeting Bucks (favourite player of all time) at Manuka Oval. After a game against the Kangaroos he said to me “come walk with me” we strolled across manuka chatting away. For a 9 year old I probably thought there wasn’t a much better time in my life and it’s a memory I’ll cherish for the rest of my life.

Favourite game I’ve ever seen was actually the drawn grand final. It wasn’t so much that the game finished in absolute silence but the build up to it. I remember watching us smash Geelong the week before and it sunk in. We were going to the big dance, the first one since 2003. At the time I had a friend working for the AFL and they were a Collingwood fan. I called them up and I said “you have to get me a ticket, I don’t care how much they cost”

Driving down from Canberra by myself, very excited to get the chance to watch my team win only for it to be a draw was a a funny moment looking back. Luckily my friend got me a ticket for the next week and the rest is history. I am forever grateful I got that ticket the next week haha.

I'm 34.

Grew up idolising Peter Daicos.

I watched a video of him when i was younger and at the time i didn't realise he was joking but when asked how does he kick these goals from impossible angles and bend the ball the way he does, his reply "I wear my boots on the opposite feet".. so i trained and practiced with my boots on the opposite feet to kick goals like Daics.. haha..

Victoria Park and Waverly Park were the grounds i mostly went to as a kid.

VP was a hostile ground, it gave us an edge because of how loud and passionate we were, but interstate clubs travelling gave it a good crack.. especially Adelaide, they were probably the only club more feral than us!..

I remember when i was only 6 or 7 walking past a bus load of their supporters and i was in my collingwood gear and they were trying to spit on me from the bus.

Waverly Park was colder than Antartica when the wind was blowing and the rain was coming down, but it was the best playing surface in the competition, the most pristine ground you've ever seen.

I had the 1990 Grand Final on VHS and i swear i watch that every day for 6 months, Daicos's goal from the pocket, Gavin Brown getting KO'd in the half time brawl and Darren Millane finishing with the ball in his hands with his heavily strapped broken thumb, for my 8th birthday i was given a folder of professionally taken photographs of the Grand Final from the final siren, the medal presentation and the laps of the ground with the premiership cup. I still have them at my mums house with all my Collingwood stuff from when i was a kid.

I still remember the day my mum told me Darren Millane had passed away, after school on the corner of my street, i cried myself to sleep that night.. Being so young death was a relatively new concept to me.. She took me to his grave at Springvale Cemetary, i would have sat next to his final resting place for 2 hours and my mum was happy to let me grieve. I left my Darren Millane badge on his tombstone.

My childhood memories of the Pies are some of the best memories of my life, it brought a different type of excitement than being an adult, i don't think it can be replicated aside from that feeling you get in Finals. That feeling in the pit of your stomach was there for every game as a child.

I love how passionate you are only being in Australia for a short time, you're what our club embodies.
It's a club for everyone and we literally do stand side by side (well except for the meltdowns and tantrums on bigfooty after a loss) ;)

Amazing post.
I have done a bit of research on Darren Millane. He seems like a cross between Dane Swans & Josh Kennedy, bull. Sad loss.

I came home in a Collingwood jumper. So I’m at 28 years of supporting our magpies. I’ve grown up in Canberra so supporting AFL in a NRL town was tough. I was seen as an outsider and got quite a lot of stick for it. Looking back now I laugh, because NRL is dead and AFL is flourishing. Knowing my kids will grow up with AFL everywhere will make up for it.

My favourite football moment other than the grand final was meeting Bucks (favourite player of all time) at Manuka Oval. After a game against the Kangaroos he said to me “come walk with me” we strolled across manuka chatting away. For a 9 year old I probably thought there wasn’t a much better time in my life and it’s a memory I’ll cherish for the rest of my life.

Favourite game I’ve ever seen was actually the drawn grand final. It wasn’t so much that the game finished in absolute silence but the build up to it. I remember watching us smash Geelong the week before and it sunk in. We were going to the big dance, the first one since 2003. At the time I had a friend working for the AFL and they were a Collingwood fan. I called them up and I said “you have to get me a ticket, I don’t care how much they cost”

Driving down from Canberra by myself, very excited to get the chance to watch my team win only for it to be a draw was a a funny moment looking back. Luckily my friend got me a ticket for the next week and the rest is history. I am forever grateful I got that ticket the next week haha.

2 grandfinals in 2 weeks? Amazing.

My favourite all time match is the 2011 preliminary vs Hawthorn. I still remember the sinking feeling when Buddy dribbled the ball from the pocket (amazing goal) and put the Hawks in front, but then we came back and kicked the sealer. The emotional rollercoaster was at fever pitch.

2 grandfinals in 2 weeks? Amazing.

My favourite all time match is the 2011 preliminary vs Hawthorn. I still remember the sinking feeling when Buddy dribbled the ball from the pocket (amazing goal) and put the Hawks in front, but then we came back and kicked the sealer. The emotional rollercoaster was at fever pitch.
Yeah in the space of a year I saw 1 win, 1 draw and a loss. Pretty lucky to have know the right person at the time haha.

I only got to see the last 5 minutes of that game and it’s one I’ve never gone back and watched. I must do that some day. I think I haven’t watched it because I was so shattered in seeing them lose the next week.

I'm 32. My biggest influences were Buckley and Sav Rocca. I used to emulate them in the backyard and copied their kicking techniques as closely as possible. I'd kick like Bucks around the field, and Sav for goal. They were some pretty lean years in the 90's as I was really developing my love of the game. But Sav and Bucks kept me hooked.

Dad was a Saints fan, so would have been very easy to switch over given they were in Grand Finals and had some gun players. But I was just in love with Bucks and Rocca.

Remove this Banner Ad

Universal Love Collingwood for the Millennials.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back