List Mgmt. COLLINGWOOD Trade and F/A Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I saw Mark Williams yesterday as my nephew is playing for for Port Melbourne and I asked him what all the fuss was about McStay, and he said, " It's widely believed that he is being wasted at Brisbane and would make a much better target closer to goal", then he told me to piss of because this isn't Werribee any more

This is right. My friend and I think the same. They are not using him in the right role and needs to be closer to goal

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Agree, I would be offering Taranto the $800k at 4 years meant for JDG.

I’d prefer a higher price contract for Green. Maybe not worth $800k just yet and I’m not dismissing Taranto, but if we’re going to pay that sort of coin, I’d rather go for an elite inside Mid with potential similar to C. Oliver.

I’m beginning to think of McStay as The Anvil 2.0.
More so than the Jessie White comparison.

I’m ok with that.
But not at $3M over 5Y.
Different physique, can play forward, back and ruck though.

I’m beginning to think of McStay as The Anvil 2.0.
More so than the Jessie White comparison.

I’m ok with that.
But not at $3M over 5Y.
What is the AFL salary cap 2022?

The six-year deal, which begins in 2017 and ends in 2022, means that the average player wage rises from $309,000 to $371,000 and the player salary cap from $10.37m to $12.45m. In 2022, the average player wage will be $389,000 with a salary cap of $13.54m.

So an extra 230000 per annum is a big amount??? and in two or more years
it will be under $200k differential . .Cheap I reckon

What is the AFL salary cap 2022?

The six-year deal, which begins in 2017 and ends in 2022, means that the average player wage rises from $309,000 to $371,000 and the player salary cap from $10.37m to $12.45m. In 2022, the average player wage will be $389,000 with a salary cap of $13.54m.

So an extra 230000 per annum is a big amount??? and in two or more years
it will be under $200k differential . .Cheap I reckon
You overlook the opportunity cost of using those funds better elsewhere.

From The Tackle in the HS:

5. Dan McLeaving​

Brisbane Lions forward Dan McStay is playing like a bloke who’s forgotten how to play the game. You’d have to think he’s being mentally weighed down by his decision to leave the Lions at the end of the season, if you believe all the media reports that in fact he is going. If it’s true, McStay needs to clear the head. He should today walk into Chris Fagan’s office and tell the coach he’s leaving to go to Collingwood at the end of the season. He should then tell all of his teammates. At the same time, he should absolutely tell them that he will give every inch of himself to help them win the flag this year. It would be OK, because McStay, Fagan and the players are big boys. The reality is McStay, who has been offered 5 x $600,000 by the Pies and others, needs to do something to reconnect with the season. He’s kicked four goals in six matches and is averaging four marks a game. Always, the truth will set you free and maybe McStay has to tell Fagan he’s McLeaving and then, maybe, hopefully, he can get on with playing good footy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is right. My friend and I think the same. They are not using him in the right role and needs to be closer to goal

Yeah, they use Hipwood and Daniher. But everyone on here wants a proven product. Unfortunately, we don't have the cash and the capital for a proven product unless we want to take a Jeremy Cameron-type punt that is yet to pay off.

Last edited:
It might be his way of calling BS on the $$ being offered
It was an interesting chat. This was the implication or that his manager is using us as leverage (from Buckley’s perspective).

FWIW Buckley would have NFI about our salary cap position in 2023 and beyond because by the start of next year the entire list bar Grundy and maybe one or two others will be on a different contract from when Buckley coached his last game. That’s how quickly things change.

He played as a key target when Daniher did his shoulder and still had little impact (4 goals in 4 games).

He played as a key target when Daniher did his shoulder and still had little impact (4 goals in 4 games).
Not enough sample size, either. I think we're being harsh on him. He'll move - the club wants him. Let's stop debating about him moving.

Not enough sample size, either. I think we're being harsh on him. He'll move - the club wants him. Let's stop debating about him moving.

Also I think our game plan will work for him a lot better than theirs. He is probably in a bit of a rut . Position wise.

I think as supporters we should trust Fly and Wright (and to a lesser extent Leppa).

They have identified McStay as a target for our list and not needing to trade for him certainly is a massive positive/attraction.

I certainly have much more faith in Fly knowing the way he wants his team to play and who fits into that than I ever did under Buckley.

Also I think our game plan will work for him a lot better than theirs. He is probably in a bit of a rut . Position wise.

Choosing good players who fit game plans is very important. Not every player works at every club and I wish more people would realise that before suggesting certain players. With McStay, wrong game style, wrong position comes into play. Some players are inflated at good sides like Phillips in 2018-19 but others are deflated because of their incompatibility or plethora of stars (Lipinski). One to fit that boat at the moment is Jack Ross.

We front end load mcstay Brisbane get round 2 compo also get our 3 x3rds enough points for Ashcroft. We get there first

We front end load mcstay Brisbane get round 2 compo also get our 3 x3rds enough points for Ashcroft. We get there first
Dodgy compo deal?
Step 1: Pies take McStay in a Daniher type deal so that Lions get a good compo pic. Points for father & son Will Ashcroft and Jaspa Fletcher.
Step 2: Pies trade 3 x 3rd round draft picks for Lions 1st rounder. Again points for Lions.
Step 3: Pies flatten out McStay's contract in a year or two
I noted a similar deal in the McStay trade/draft thread a while back.

I noted a similar deal in the McStay trade/draft thread a while back.
Good deal. Mutually beneficial. Think of a hand like so:

2x first rounder
1x second rounder.

Potentially gain another pick via forcing a De Goey trade. If we had 3x first rounders, I'd suggest trading one, luring in another player. Essendon will be active again but Dodoro won't pay up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back