Opinion Commentary & Media VIII

Remove this Banner Ad

I have no issue with taking Duursma before Watson. Duursma will be a star long term you watch. He is a special talent. Reminds me of James Hird in that he can do the freaky things and has a lot more variety than Watson. Watson is a little bit one dimensional as exciting as he can be. Duursma long term will bring a lot of excitement I have no doubt as he develops. I doubt Watto would have got a kick with us this year. He wasnt going so great early in the year when Hawthorn started slowly. Keep the faith in Duursma I say.

lols @ jack martin marching himself to the PSD!

I have no issue with taking Duursma before Watson. Duursma will be a star long term you watch. He is a special talent. Reminds me of James Hird in that he can do the freaky things and has a lot more variety than Watson. Watson is a little bit one dimensional as exciting as he can be. Duursma long term will bring a lot of excitement I have no doubt as he develops. I doubt Watto would have got a kick with us this year. He wasnt going so great early in the year when Hawthorn started slowly. Keep the faith in Duursma I say.
There's a talent aspect, where I agree with you, and positional aspects, where I disagree with you. Hawthorn are where they are for a multitude of reasons, but the primary one is that they've recruited for need. We haven't. We had a half-arsed attempt at getting a small forward in a mid-season draft, who may or may not go on to have a decent career. That's the only attention we've given the role in yonks. We had a half-arsed attempt at getting a key forward in a mid-season draft, who will not go on to have a decent career. That's the only attention we've given the role in yonks. We targeted four small players in a row in a single draft. Three of them play the same position.

So when we have a multitude of tweener types, it's a bit jarring to use a top 5 pick on another one, even when he's silky skilled. It makes it feel like we're doing things the hard way. At this point, it almost...almost feels like Phillips, Powell and Lazzaro should all be cast off, and we should instead rotate one of Zurhaar/Curtis/Duursma at most centre bounces. Given the draft capital expended on a few of those six names, it doesn't really suggest that we've taken anything close to the shortest possible path. I can't even remember the last premiership team that didn't have two or more small forwards playing crucial roles. Sydney in 2012? Meanwhile, as the game tips in their favour even more, our hopes rest on Robert Hansen Jr (no disrespect to him, but seriously).

And fwiw Watson was getting involved even early on, he just couldn't convert a PDF if he tried, that's all

I think if we pull ourselves away and look at it with a neutral eye Duursma is very much a could be. Very early and not enough evidence to be confident one way or the other. Hird comparisons aren’t helpful. 😂

Agree .
We’ve seen all of the 4 foot wizards 🧙‍♀️ tricks …
Duursma has so much more ceiling .

There's a talent aspect, where I agree with you, and positional aspects, where I disagree with you. Hawthorn are where they are for a multitude of reasons, but the primary one is that they've recruited for need. We haven't. We had a half-arsed attempt at getting a small forward in a mid-season draft, who may or may not go on to have a decent career. That's the only attention we've given the role in yonks. We had a half-arsed attempt at getting a key forward in a mid-season draft, who will not go on to have a decent career. That's the only attention we've given the role in yonks. We targeted four small players in a row in a single draft. Three of them play the same position.

So when we have a multitude of tweener types, it's a bit jarring to use a top 5 pick on another one, even when he's silky skilled. It makes it feel like we're doing things the hard way. At this point, it almost...almost feels like Phillips, Powell and Lazzaro should all be cast off, and we should instead rotate one of Zurhaar/Curtis/Duursma at most centre bounces. Given the draft capital expended on a few of those six names, it doesn't really suggest that we've taken anything close to the shortest possible path. I can't even remember the last premiership team that didn't have two or more small forwards playing crucial roles. Sydney in 2012? Meanwhile, as the game tips in their favour even more, our hopes rest on Robert Hansen Jr (no disrespect to him, but seriously).

And fwiw Watson was getting involved even early on, he just couldn't convert a PDF if he tried, that's all
Agree, the idea was probably there with mahony but i seriously doubt any one actually got out from behing the champion data computer and actually went and watched him play.

Goal sense is an attribute that i dont beleive statistical analysis addresses . But boy being at a game it becomes pretty obvious which players know where the sticks are.

I reckon a kid in prep wrecked Barrett when he was in grade 6.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk
Atomic wedgie that still burns

If we didn’t draft Duursma the Hawks would have snapped him up, there was a lot of talk he was top of their board.

I’m sure both teams feel happy with that draft but I have no doubt the Hawks think we made the right choice, they’ll just be happy their guy has proven to be something they needed.

"Watson wouldn't have got a kick in our team"

"Watto has only come good since the Hoks have"

Internet verbal diarrhoea...

He has just starred his 2nd final in a row at 19.

Will Duursma be good? Looking likely.

Is Watto good? Yes, right now.

On SM-G991B using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

"Watson wouldn't have got a kick in our team"

"Watto has only come good since the Hoks have"

Internet verbal diarrhoea...

He has just starred his 2nd final in a row at 19.

Will Duursma be good? Looking likely.

Is Watto good? Yes, right now.

I think that one is more of a negative reflection of playing as a forward in our team then Watson.

I think that one is more of a negative reflection of playing as a forward in our team then Watson.

Wasting your breath l, them posters are ****en crazy.

How they don’t understand playing in the North side vs playing in the Hawfs side is beyond me . He kicked 3- 4 against us and we kicked 6 for the game lol. Nah he’d have starred

View attachment 2109064
Is this campaigner for real?
Oh yes Damo.

If we had of held onto all those players one more year - we'd be fighting it out for a Grand Final spot next week and I'd be working as a beer taster at a brewery owned by my supermodel girlfriend.

Of course, it all makes perfect sense.

Last edited:
Wasting your breath l, them posters are ****en crazy.

How they don’t understand playing in the North side vs playing in the Hawfs side is beyond me . He kicked 3- 4 against us and we kicked 6 for the game lol. Nah he’d have starred
He could have arguably kicked more goals at NM as the ball hit the deck more often than at Hawfs with less smalls to pounce...

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion Commentary & Media VIII

Remove this Banner Ad

Back