Opinion Commentary & Media VIII

Remove this Banner Ad

Does it seem that way?

It is a huge ask for an 18 year to join a cellar dweller interstate as the next big thing. Compare this to Harley Reid and the infrastructure WC have around him. Or Cam Rayner at Brisbane.

JHF was simply not equipped and not assisted with us the same way.
Agree. It's a huge ask expecting a number 1 pick to follow team rules and commitment to a club. Look at the high picks that have come after him and how much they are struggling to play good footy and be good team mates.....
Sheezal, Wardlaw, Mckercher.

It has to be the club's fault.....poor little Jason....

Agree. It's a huge ask expecting a number 1 pick to follow team rules and commitment to a club. Look at the high picks that have come after him and how much they are struggling to play good footy and be good team mates.....
Sheezal, Wardlaw, Mckercher.

It has to be the club's fault.....poor little Jason....
Such a moronic response. You realise several things can be true at once?

Character and maturity are important factors, and it is why clubs need good welfare and support networks.

Such a moronic response. You realise several things can be true at once?

Character and maturity are important factors, and it is why clubs need good welfare and support networks.
Like intervening so the kid isn't eating uber eats for dinner every night for several months...

Pretty damn sure it was. I think it was explicitly stated in an interview.
If true then that is my point about JHF. You can’t just bring an immature 18 year old from interstate then leave him to his own devices.

There are plenty of 18 year olds who still behave like they’re 12. Being the number 1 pick doesn’t change that.

Last edited:
Travel is travel. Whether its tasmania or wa, it doesn’t matter. Interstate teams travel heaps so its no big deal.

You've just become accustomed to it.

The consideration has to be 2 x Home games in Melbourne at our home ground (when we are a finals contender) vs 2 x away games in at the worst trip in Australia.

I don't care what we've been doing at Tasmania.

These are home games.

The other factor is, the AFL ensures we have a higher proportion of VIC teams as our home game opponents for the remaining games, we don't get the same home field advantage as others.

You've just become accustomed to it.

The consideration has to be 2 x Home games in Melbourne at our home ground (when we are a finals contender) vs 2 x away games in at the worst trip in Australia.

I don't care what we've been doing at Tasmania.

These are home games.
3 hrs mate. Until we can afford it, there isnt much else we can do. Need more people at games, need more sponsors. When we start winning and making finals it might change as more stakeholders come on board.. until then, there isn’t a lot of options here

And if we still play Freo and WCE twice a year each, are you happy to travel to WA for 4 x away games, which would put us at a disadvantage to all of our competitors?

Hey we play well over there at the moment so it's a guaranteed 4 points just like tassie

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If true then that is my point about JHF. You can’t just bring an immature 18 year old from interstate then leave him to his own devices.

There are plenty of 18 year olds who still behave like they’re 12. Being the number 1 pick doesn’t change that.
At his family's insistence, no?
Sometimes little turds can be enabled in their turd-like activities and there's not a whole heap the club can do about it

At his family's insistence, no?
Sometimes little turds can be enabled in their turd-like activities and there's not a whole heap the club can do about it
Of course. Everyone is a product of their upbringing.

We either failed to do our due diligence recruiting him, failed in our player welfare, or both.

I don’t lay all the blame on an 18 year old, even if he carried on like a delinquent at stages.

It's a bit besides the point these days, but I still don't know whether he was just miserable after leaving home and the shit environment (probably more due to losing than anything else) made him throw the ultimate tantrum, or if it was always the plan to say all the right things but get out ASAP (and maybe he just pulled the pin a year early because they thought he could get away with it).

If it was the latter then there's not much we could have done.

I must've missed all the BF experts screaming "due diligence" while they were salivating over his SANFL finals in 2021. Sometimes, I'd guess, you have to roll the dice on any character concerns if you think they're the best player. The return we eventually got from his trade was worth more than the next layer on our board in 2021.

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion Commentary & Media VIII

Remove this Banner Ad

Back