Commentators both the Thompson push and Gunston holding the man were free kicks lateinHawksvCrows!!

Remove this Banner Ad

I love pushing and actually want reforms to allow far more pushing than has ever been allowed in the history of the game. I hate that the game has gone in the opposite direction.

It's really disappointing that strength is being taken out of the game.

Hate pushing, I saw Greco wrestling etc... at Sydney Olympics, that is enough for me.

When I watch the footy I want to appreciate football, not RL , or wrestling or boxing!!

I hated not seeing the best of G Ablett Senior, Blight, Lockett, and all the greats because of all the push and pull artists!!!

Hate pushing, I saw Greco wrestling etc... at Sydney Olympics, that is enough for me.

When I watch the footy I want to appreciate football, not RL , or wrestling or boxing!!
I saw basketball on tv, that is enough for me.

i think we just fundamentally disagree on pushing and wrestling's place in the game.

You can't push, bump, block or hold in a marking contest. It's pretty clear.

The problem is, they don't even pay even 10% of these in marking contests.

So when it is paid, the umpires can say they got it right, but its the many others that don't get paid which there is no scrutiny over.

Same goes with with HTB and making a reasonable attempt. Quite often a player will grab the ball and is instantly tackled. More often than not the umpire will call for a ball up without the tackled player even trying to do anything.However every so often he will decide to pluck one, which everyone gets upset with, but it is actually in the rules. So the Giesch can always say they got that one right.

In summary, much more scrutiny over free kicks paid, than free kicks not paid. But we already knew that.

I saw basketball on tv, that is enough for me.

i think we just fundamentally disagree on pushing and wrestling's place in the game.

Taking pushing and pulling out of the game does not make it basketball. You still should be able to run through someone etc.. when the ball is in the vicinity:D

You can't push, bump, block or hold in a marking contest. It's pretty clear.

The problem is, they don't even pay even 10% of these in marking contests.

So when it is paid, the umpires can say they got it right, but its the many others that don't get paid which there is no scrutiny over.

Same goes with with HTB and making a reasonable attempt. Quite often a player will grab the ball and is instantly tackled. More often than not the umpire will call for a ball up without the tackled player even trying to do anything.However every so often he will decide to pluck one, which everyone gets upset with, but it is actually in the rules. So the Giesch can always say they got that one right.

In summary, much more scrutiny over free kicks paid, than free kicks not paid. But we already knew that.

Agree with a lot of that. The thing is the new sliding rule has even more scrutiny:D.

you can block one on one in a marking contest within 5 min though if it is a genuine marking contest I believe like holding your position etc.., I think you can bump within 5 m to when to are competing for a mark

Agree with a lot of that. The thing is the new sliding rule has even more scrutiny:D.

you can block one on one in a marking contest within 5 min though if it is a genuine marking contest I believe like holding your position etc.., I think you can bump within 5 m to when to are competing for a mark

If you look at the 2013 DVD that no longer applies, basically any block at all, 5m or otherwise is out. They actually say there will be a stricter interpretation.

http://www.afl.com.au/video/2013-02-04/2013-laws-of-the-game-marking-contests

Basically the AFL don't want any physical pressure on any player competing for the ball.

If you look at the 2013 DVD that no longer applies, basically any block at all, 5m or otherwise is out. They actually say there will be a stricter interpretation.

http://www.afl.com.au/video/2013-02-04/2013-laws-of-the-game-marking-contests

Basically the AFL don't want any physical pressure on any player competing for the ball.

Does that relate for the 2 guys going for the ball or someone just defensively blocking/bumping an attacking player with no real intention of winning the ball, just negating within 5 metres??

Just watched it, was a definite free kick. You are not allowed to push, whether it be in the side, front, back, arm etc in a marking contest. All he needed to do was use his body. AFL players have lost the art of using the body to hold off players. Gunston did it well at the other end where he held his opponent off and then released, legally.

And from reading this forum, AFL fans have lost the plot on what free kicks are. Not hard when they keep changing the rules but it is hilarious to read the opinions that are clearly wrong on frees.

Just watched it, was a definite free kick. You are not allowed to push, whether it be in the side, front, back, arm etc in a marking contest. All he needed to do was use his body. AFL players have lost the art of using the body to hold off players. Gunston did it well at the other end where he held his opponent off and then released, legally.

And from reading this forum, AFL fans have lost the plot on what free kicks are. Not hard when they keep changing the rules but it is hilarious to read the opinions that are clearly wrong on frees.

are you trying to tell everyone here that you just watched that video of Gunston's mark in the goalsquare and saw that he didn't push? really? but Thompson's was a push?

are you trying to tell everyone here that you just watched that video of Gunston's mark in the goalsquare and saw that he didn't push? really? but Thompson's was a push?

Agree, Not only did Gunston man handle his opponent , it looks like he did it when the ball was outside 5 metres. Either way free kick

It wasn't a push. He touched his arm. That is not a push. Seriously, it was so bloody soft. I am more concerned about how we dropped our heads after htan but that's another story. Both the Thommo decision and the one against Reid was it on ANZAC day were shockers.

Would Adelaide have won the game if the mark was allowed, which I think should have been. I doubt it.
Just for the record Hawthorn didn't score from free kicks while Adelaide kicked four goals three.
There were a lot of 50/50 frees in every game, and the sooner the rules have the grey areara abolished the better.

I wonder if the AFL were to take all the umpires and show them the same video clip of a selected play, and then asked them for their decision, the result would be closer to 50/50 than 100%. It's all in their interpretation of the many confusing rules we have in footy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It was a push, KB, and Gieschen can say what they like, after the North/Port matches as well as Cartlon Melbourne matches with clear bias blind freddy can see they appear to be political pawns!!

where is the integrity??

This is the way when you argue degree you cannot argue anything so they are a law unto themselves which is what AFL HQ seems to want from the gods:D

It wasn't a push. He touched his arm. That is not a push. Seriously, it was so bloody soft. I am more concerned about how we dropped our heads after htan but that's another story. Both the Thommo decision and the one against Reid was it on ANZAC day were shockers.
The one against Reid was absolutely a push. As I said, AFL players have lost the art of the Tony Lockett body on body. They resort to using arms these days and it will get paid because you can't PUSH and that is what Reid did. Thompson did it too. His arm went from being close to his body and extending after it touched Hale on the shoulder. That incurs a force in that direction which is a push.

The one against Reid was absolutely a push. As I said, AFL players have lost the art of the Tony Lockett body on body. They resort to using arms these days and it will get paid because you can't PUSH and that is what Reid did. Thompson did it too. His arm went from being close to his body and extending after it touched Hale on the shoulder. That incurs a force in that direction which is a push.
KB said it wasnt a free kick. Just accept that the umpire got it wrong and move on.

KB said it wasnt a free kick. Just accept that the umpire got it wrong and move on.

the problem is going forward the next one they will say it is a free kick because it is a little harder or a little bit lower or higher, or a little different.

By making it about degree the powers at be can move their goal posts to suit themselves and their own interests.

The bottom line is it is not about the law or rule but the decision makers on a different day which is what some must want to maintain the power structure .

Ultimately, if Thompson didn't think he could gain advantage using the hands why do it??? Furthermore if it is not a push as Geishen suggests what is it even if it is slight??

If it is insignificant why did Thompson feel compelled to do it under the pressure of the contest??

My gut feel is Eddie got on the bandwagon fuelled his ex-positional commentators angst because they where let loose over the last 20+ years where the push in the back rule was lax from when Blight came along and was utilised by the likes of Dunstall up forward and Silvangi down back.

Eddie is jumping on board I suspect due to the problems the pies backmen might face otherwise which may be apparent with Reid and others!

Not sure how you come up with that conclusiono_O, but when two different players decide to go after the same ball so be it but they cannot legally imped each other until they get close to where the ball is because it emphasises the art and skill of the contest which is when the ball is also in play so the contest becomes 3-dimensional instead of 2. The other thing is it promotes playing the ball, playing the game of football, not playing the man!

If you follow the nature of the laws of the game you can see the method in the madness and the concepts behind them!!
Now I can see why Richmond are always 9th:rolleyes:

but he is on the laws of the game committee. i dont know if there are many more equipped to 'interpret' the rules
He invented the hands in the back rule, which is never policed anymore. He is an idiot and shouldn't be on there anymore.

Just watched it, was a definite free kick..

Remove this Banner Ad

Commentators both the Thompson push and Gunston holding the man were free kicks lateinHawksvCrows!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back