Confirmed: Renouf to Port

Remove this Banner Ad

It's going to be interesting watching him develop. He has a huge engine and is a good mark, so he gets loose forward quite a lot, running of his opponent who just can't stay with him. But his kicking is utterly atrocious, which reduces the value of the possessions he gets to almost nothing. And I believe his hitout to advantage rate is quite low.

He's still very young for a ruckman, and was late to the game, so has plenty of development left, and I thought he had taken another decent step this year before going down injured.

At worst I think Port probably got themselves the best guy available, in a year when there aren't a lot of spare quality rucks going around. At best, he'll continue to develop over the next year or two.

What does this mean for Jarrad Redden?

More time to develop. Then we have 3 genuine ruckman and depth. Always need depth in the ruck. Especially if one goes down. Case in point Primus in 04, but we had Lade and Brogan to cover. And this year, Brogan went down, but Lobbe was on his own.

What does this mean for Jarrad Redden?
he's young and is only just starting to play some league footy, played alot of reserves footy

the club sees him as a very important player going forward but has said he is 2-3 years away from being ready to play regular AFL footy

remember he is only 20yrs old and unless you are a freakshow like Naitanui, there arent too many 20yr old ruckmen playing AFL

he's young and is only just starting to play some league footy, played alot of reserves footy

the club sees him as a very important player going forward but has said he is 2-3 years away from being ready to play regular AFL footy
Not sure how he's going to achieve that stuck in the SANFL now. He just played in an SANFL premiership side and should be getting a decent amount of AFL time in 2012, but thats gone out the window.

yeah but the problem is the club has already said that the number one ruck role is lobbes. lobbe has shown more than renouf. they stated we are looking at a backup ruck to support lobbe because redden while super talented is still 2-3 years away from that.

so why did we pay pick 33 for a 2-3 year stop gap and how are we going to play 2 ruckmen when the game has gone against that and the guy we are bringing in isnt known for playing anywhere else has questionable kicking skills and we are carrying a very very tall forward line who are much more important to our team than a back up ruck?? or have we just paid pick 33 for a guy to play as insurance in case lobbe gets injured in the next 2 seasons and redden is not ready to come in??

wtf??

You make it sound like you've sold your firstborn.

You have Lobbe and a bloke who by your club's own admission is 2-3 years away, during which time anything could happen. Ruck is a pretty bloody important position...even if he is just a stop-gap, pick 33 is a pretty reasonable price to pay to ensure you're covered in that area. My club is better placed for rucks, and I would've still preferred we keep Renouf rather than have pick 33.

I don't think Renouf is a good mix with Lobbe because they can't both play together.

Sure they can rest there but they wont be effective. Add Butcher, Schultz and Westhoff and it looks pretty immobile.

Im not the one saying he is a dud, just that it does not fit.

This man speaks the truth. Port needed a ruck/forward to back up Lobbe, not a pure ruckman. Adding Renouf to the side will make us too top heavy unless Westhoff and Brett Ebert are both playing as midfielders or not playing at all, as well as giving us one player either sitting on the bench or doing nothing of any use in the forward-line at all times.

Watching Lobbe and Renouf play, they seem like one position players. Apart from the ruck, I don't see them floating forward and having an impact.
Port's forward line is already incredibly tall so I don't see a secondary role for either two.
Pick 33 is a win for Hawthorn except, do they longer have backup for Bailey?

Seven shades of "meh" for mine. Totally unremarkable footballer, either way, unremarkable price paid, 'meh'.

Seems Port have followed the "hawthorn model" of drafting anyone who only has their good games against them... are all of his career goals actually against them, or does it just seem that way?
He's an unremarkable footballer if you only value players on how they 'look'.

Renouf is a very solid ruckman, who has an awkward kicking technique(one of the reason people shit-can him). That being said, his kicking is much better than many would have you believe, and in plenty of games he's beaten much more fancied opponents, yet never gets the credit as he looks ungainly.

He'll also bust his arse every single week.

Just fyi,

Lobbe was actually recruited as a Key Position Forward.

Was this the position he was playing in at his SANFL club this year? I heard he was about to be dropped to their Reserves side, but was given an AFL call up when Brogan went down, and then went on to successfully carry the Power's ruck for the remainder of the year.

Not sure that Renouf can really play as a stationed forward, although he has managed to drop forward while in the ruck, often enough against Port in the recent past.

Lobbe should be able to play up forward for extended periods though. He was recruited as a CHF, has a good engine with good agility and is a fairly decent mark and kick. It would mean rotating around our other tall forwards though, and as others have said it would certainly mean that Westhoff either makes way or gets played on the wing or as a high HF.

Redden definitely can play up forward and has kicked multiple goals at junior level and SANFL reserves before. Also played long periods as a resting forward during the SANFL GF and got used a bit when the Eagles moved the ball forward.

We clearly need to give Lobbe a better rest during matches, without completely falling to pieces in the rucks and stoppages when he is on the bench or up forward. Daniel Stewart has also been ear-marked as a possible tall forward-second ruckman, but despite significant improvement at SANFL level this year, his AFL form was dismal and has got more than a few Port supporters guarded about his future at the top level.

I don't think that it was complete coincidence that we defeated Melbourne in rd 24 with two competitive rucks playing. It meant that we never faded away even when they had momentum and were able to fight back during the final quarter to hit the lead again, when in previous matches (v Brisbane and Essendon) Lobbe was spent and we just capitulated.

He's an unremarkable footballer if you only value players on how they 'look'.

Renouf is a very solid ruckman, who has an awkward kicking technique(one of the reason people shit-can him). That being said, his kicking is much better than many would have you believe, and in plenty of games he's beaten much more fancied opponents, yet never gets the credit as he looks ungainly.

He'll also bust his arse every single week.
I don't not rate him, he is just utterly beige. Neither good nor bad.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Are you honestly trying to say that Renouf is close to NicNat?

Absolutely not. Just showing that they've played almost the same amount of games with similar outputs in many categories with Renouf not having had the benefit of playing in tandem with Cox. I thought it'd suprise many given Renouf isn't rated highly at all.

In no way am i suggesting anyone in their right mind would prefer Renouf to Ni Nat, but i do think Renouf will turn out to be a very good Rukman. Fwiw I also rate McEvoy as a ruckman and think next year could be a big one for him.

He's never going to be Nic Nat or Cox, but he'd always been underrated. Great pick up by the Power, considering what else what else will be availiable at 30, and their terrible ruck stocks.

Absolutely not. Just showing that they've played almost the same amount of games
I agreed up to here.

'Similar in many categories' to me would imply some sort of comparison.
And if that's the case and you found Renouf comparable I would suggest Renouf's best work is done on paper and perhaps paper is a little bit over-rated.

Nicnat is in a different category altogether. To anyone i've ever seen - let alone Renouf.

He's never going to be Nic Nat or Cox, but he'd always been underrated. Great pick up by the Power, considering what else what else will be availiable at 30, and their terrible ruck stocks.

This is along the lines of what Port were trying to achieve.

We were not after a Dean Cox, Aaron Sandilands or Matthew Leuenberger.

We were after a ruckman that could be purchased for around pick 30 - 50 that would provide support to Matty Lobbe, who we believe will grow to become a good solid AFL ruckman and Jarrad Redden, who we reckon will be even better.

Renouf is a solid ruckman with a big tank who will not back out of a contest. He is not a "Dean Cox" that would have cost substantially more and was frankly more than what we were prepared to invest in.

This is along the lines of what Port were trying to achieve.

We were not after a Dean Cox, Aaron Sandilands or Matthew Leuenberger.

We were after a ruckman that could be purchased for around pick 30 - 50 that would provide support to Matty Lobbe, who we believe will grow to become a good solid AFL ruckman and Jarrad Redden, who we reckon will be even better.

Renouf is a solid ruckman with a big tank who will not back out of a contest. He is not a "Dean Cox" that would have cost substantially more and was frankly more than what we were prepared to invest in.

Quite right - you usually get what you pay for & you have gotten a solid ruckman in Renouf, exactly what you are after. He will give you a 100% - in 2010 he virtually rucked solo for the first half of the year due to injuries to the other ruckmen on Hawthorn's list - a really great effort.

Remove this Banner Ad

Confirmed: Renouf to Port

Remove this Banner Ad

Back