Cooney... to sit out a year?

Remove this Banner Ad

Originally posted by jordyblue05
i heard both farren and cooney didnt sign longer than the 2 year contracts they reciever.
The doggies are stuffed no future at all want seem them past 2010 imagane going to trainign at the whitten oval the club i play for has better facillities its cold derolic and dull the whitten oval agree

No, no, no, jordyblue, you have START, threads if you want to make a cheap name for yourself. Oh, I see. It's your second post.

Adam Cooney to sit out a year of football ?

Yeah, right. :confused:

I think he would be a lot happier though if Rohde gave him more game time, but then again, name one player who prefers to sit on the bench rather than be on the field.

Originally posted by theorangeapple
every single player wants to go home mid way through their first year...........
Just what I was going to say about these 17 - 19 y.o kids. It would be a sad reflection on their relationship with their parents and friends if they didn't yearn to be back with them at times.

Originally posted by theorangeapple
.......... its no big deal, he'll work through it and stay.
I hope so. Obviously it is hard to deal with the problems at the Doggies. The kid has been a match winning gun in amateur league and the SANFL. Losing regularly must be hard to take. It's OK for Darcy, West and so on to absorb this while looking to build a team for the future. Cooney must just be hanging out to win a few.

The idea of the draft is to give the weakest sides access to the best new players. But if they hang around for the briefest time then scoot off home the system has wasted everyone's time. Even teams doing well have problems. Brisbane lost Headland. We lost Nick Stevens after 1 contract extension.
Perhaps modify the system so that kids 20 y.o or under aren't draftable outside their home state unless they agree?

IIRC, the last bloke to stand out of footy for a season was Matthew Robran.

Now I may be drawing a very long bow here, but when Matty came back for the Crows, didn't he get some terrible injuries, worst being the broken leg on the SCG.

Hard to say the events are related, but I do wonder?

Originally posted by Asgardian
IIRC, the last bloke to stand out of footy for a season was Matthew Robran.

Now I may be drawing a very long bow here, but when Matty came back for the Crows, didn't he get some terrible injuries, worst being the broken leg on the SCG.

Hard to say the events are related, but I do wonder?

Do we count Fabian Francis too? Extraordinary circumstances I know...

The Kid plays for 60 minutes a week, ususally on the HFF and is on and off like a yo-yo, 5 minutes here, ten minutes there. He is being nursed through his first year and next year will be when we will start to see how good he really is.

Do any of you actually watch the game?

Originally posted by stevebiscuit
The Kid plays for 60 minutes a week, ususally on the HFF and is on and off like a yo-yo, 5 minutes here, ten minutes there. He is being nursed through his first year and next year will be when we will start to see how good he really is.

Do any of you actually watch the game?

I know it *****es me off... he's in my fantasy footy side. The bloke would actually score more than 30 points a game for me if was given more game time.

Adds to the point l originally made... he hates being there.

Originally posted by Wally Matera
I know it *****es me off... he's in my fantasy footy side. The bloke would actually score more than 30 points a game for me if was given more game time.

Adds to the point l originally made... he hates being there.

Actually Wally, no It detracts from the bull**** point you made. He plays 60 minutes a game because that is all his fitness allows him. IIRC against Sydney he started in the midfield did very well and after 10 minutes ASKED to come off the ground cos he was stuffed and not fit enough.

Get a clue before typing please.

sure

I think vic clubs are still waiting for wirrapunda to come home, and Chris Judd to walk out of WCE...

if cooney goes, he goes, if he stays he stays.

lets hope if he goes, that the dogs, treat port/adelaide exactly the same way port treated collingwood...

that way he'll end up at Hawthorn!
:D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When Port or Adelaide want a player that wants to come, they close the deal. Big difference.

Wow, as a bi-partisan, this an important rumour, topic what ever. Important as it has ramifications for some bottom sides and not others. I think all would agree that players these days expect far more than just a pair of boots and 2 pair of socks. All clubs remunerate, so its not just money. Its about your surrounds and how you feel.
There are some players who expect a feeling of having reached big time football and wanting to go to a club that is associated with big time, with success, with history like Buckley to the Pies. There are some clubs who have such great history that one feels privilege to be at the club, say Essendon, the are some who are deemed the mega clubs like Collingwood even though they have not had a great deal of success recently or conversely clubs like Brisbane draw players thru there recent history. Some of the newer clubs have a strong tie to their local state and are super clubs because of it, like WC and the Crows.
What this means is that some of the less successful, less high profile clubs are not as immediately attractive as some others. Clubs like the Bullieā€™s when they have picks like #1 and #4 take a gamble when picking the totally perceived best player if they arenā€™t a natural fit for them, just like Brisbane years ago risked picking Buckley and Headland, like the Swans picking Rocca.
Not being a team that was expected to turn around on field quickly, I think they might have been better to go for the best local players like McLean, Tenace, Sylvia etc rather than the best from another state. Now, having already put them in their club and having them want to leave would damage their perception to others. So, if they do want to leave they will now struggle to get value and might have to play super hardball to get something like a #1 pick player.
On Cooney, if he was at club with a stronger list he might have only played a few games this year. Too much, too soon

Port: Trade for Salopek.

Adelaide: Trade for Watts.

If no go, trade him elswhere.

Who wants an ugly, albino South Aussie playing for them anyway..!?!?!

Originally posted by NorthBhoy

15 other clubs including North.

North would love to get their hands on Cooney, there was a reason he went number 1

You've got no idea

Originally posted by NorthBhoy
Pretty happy with Mr Burns thanks. I actually think our lack of sun has added years to his career and even his life.

Having a look thru the Crows and Dog boards , this topics is raising some interest. What would the trade cost etc. Well here's one concoction The pick values are a guesstimate at this stage.

The Gives
Geelong >Enright and 2RP(30)
Adelaide>Watt and 1RP (8)
Port >Salpeck+3RP(52)
Bullies> Cooney +2RP(22)

The Gets
Geelong=Watts +3RP(52)
Bullies= Salopek+1RP(8)
Port=Enright+2RP(22)
Adelaide=Cooney+2RP(30)

So you're saying that Cooney is only worth 8 draft places more than Enright?

I reckon Port would take the Cooney option instead, thanks. Of course, then the Crows would no doubt be peeved.

Porthos What the..?

Buldogs , give up Cooney and a early 2nd round Pick (22ish)
and get a first round player with games played plus a first round pick WIN

Port , give up Salopek and a late 3rd round pick (52ish) and get
Enright plus early 2round pick(22ish) BREAK EVEN short term , but alows them an earlier pick to get another SA U18, could be long term win

Adelaide , give up Watt and 1st round (8ish) and get get Cooney
and late 2nd round (30ish) WIN

Geelong , gives up Enright and late 2nd round pick(30ish) fro Watt and and late 3rd round(52) LOSS short term, LONG TERM win IF WATT develops into a key forward

IF PORT were to go after Cooney themselves without a mix, what would you give up? your first round will be deep, P16, throw in Salopek and P16 and you have lost two first round picks for one.For the Crows in need of mids they could live with this, you im not sure?
I really doubt you could do it without a mix from another club.

Remove this Banner Ad

Cooney... to sit out a year?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back