Traded Cooper Stephens - Traded to Hawthorn as part of Henry/Mitchell deal

Remove this Banner Ad

Cant blame the kid for wishing a fresh opportunity .. so many now traded in seemingly infront of him. Will be a hell of a get for the hawks.
I agree, he would be a great get. I think you need to take into account that he had basically had one season of footy since what under 16s? Give him a season and I think he'll be great

Geelong's "best midfield prospect" :D

Just 7 games in 3 years...

Two of those as sub - no playing time
The other five, he spent much of the game sitting on the bench

Get on him for the Brownlow in 2025 :thumbsu:

This is the Geelong Footy Club Chewy, we don't gift youngsters games.

Walks into the Hawks midfield that's for sure.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is the Geelong Footy Club Chewy, we don't gift youngsters games.

Walks into the Hawks midfield that's for sure.
First two years of reserves was cut short via covid lockdowns.

But Chewy gonna chewy

He's worth more to us than I think he is to anyone else and while we have a solid and pretty deep (not to mention relatively ancient) midfield, it's hardly the 2007-09 Geelong on ball division with 5-6 legit All Australian candidates... if he's good enough, he can find a way in.

If he's desperate to leave, well okay, maybe we have a look. But if I had to bet on who's going to have a better AFL career: Cooper Stephens or pick 40 or 50-something in this year's draft, my money's on the former. If he's a washout next year and walks to another club for nothing, so what? They weren't exactly bowling us over with their offer.

He's worth more to us than I think he is to anyone else and while we have a solid and pretty deep (not to mention relatively ancient) midfield, it's hardly the 2007-09 Geelong on ball division with 5-6 legit All Australian candidates... if he's good enough, he can find a way in.

If he's desperate to leave, well okay, maybe we have a look. But if I had to bet on who's going to have a better AFL career: Cooper Stephens or pick 40 or 50-something in this year's draft, my money's on the former. If he's a washout next year and walks to another club for nothing, so what? They weren't exactly bowling us over with their offer.
If it gets Henry through the door would you rather Stephens leaves and pies get mitchell free?

Even if it doesn't, if he asks to leave we should let him
Nah. Dollop on the money for mine.
Worth more to us that what we'd get back and we risk little keeping him.

If it gets Henry through the door would you rather Stephens leaves and pies get mitchell free?

It's a fair point about the trade period and even up to the draft, that you should wait and see what went out and what came back when the dust settles before jumping to a judgement on each individual trade, but it looks like this is being instigated by the player rather than the club to try to build a sufficient war chest to satisfy Collingwood.

It's still been a home run trade period for Geelong whatever happens with Henry and Stephens, but in a perfect world I'd just like to give him a chance to justify the early pick we spent on him before we ship him off.

Remove this Banner Ad

Traded Cooper Stephens - Traded to Hawthorn as part of Henry/Mitchell deal

Remove this Banner Ad

Back