Health Coronavirus 2020 / Worldwide (Stats live update in OP) Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The lockdown was an absolutely necessary and measured response at a point in time. We are well past that time and the ongoing restrictions which are destroying millions of Victoria’s financial, mental, socialization and progressions wellness/opportunities is going to have a far longer latter effect than what we likely would have suffered from allowing families to see each other for the last 6-12 weeks.
This is fair enough. I agree that the lingering lockdown will have lasting effects, but I still think that not taking this ultra-cautious approach and letting the numbers get out of control again would have led to an even worse outcome in the long run. We have our cases down to single figures now which will make the virus far easier to manage in the coming months, and will make our economic recovery that much faster. Hopefully the government can do their job this time and in 2 months we'll all be chilling on the beach while other parts of the world are still going through their lockdowns.

Countries such as Austria and the Czech Republic, once members of the self-appointed First Movers' Club of coronavirus-busting countries in March-April (along with Australia, New Zealand and Israel), are struggling under a rising tide.

The Czech Republic is now Europe's worst-affected country, with record hospitalisation rates and a 14-day cumulative case rate of 581 per 100,000 people. The next hardest hit are Belgium and the Netherlands in the 400s, then France, Spain and Britain.

France (22,591), Britain (19,724) and Spain (11,970) added the most new cases on Wednesday, with Belgium, Spain, Italy, Poland, the Netherlands and the Czech Republic all adding more than 5000. There were more than 100 fatalities each in Spain, Britain and France.

I'll say this again a vaccine has never wiped out any disease ever. Not everyone will take it, it will be rushed and only 60% effective at best so that means lots of people that take it will get the virus. Lastly the virus has different strains
Smallpox!

I’m not specifically calling you out here but this is part of the issue with this. You’re either pro lockdown=savior dan or anti lockdown=Dan the dictator.

The lockdown was an absolutely necessary and measured response at a point in time. We are well past that time and the ongoing restrictions which are destroying millions of Victoria’s financial, mental, socialization and progressions wellness/opportunities is going to have a far longer latter effect than what we likely would have suffered from allowing families to see each other for the last 6-12 weeks.

I’ve been a defender of the lockdown and of Dan but at this point he and Brett are working on antiquated ideas of elimination at the expense of the well-being of their states population.

It’s possible to think Dan has/had done a good job and also identify that time has past.
There is a difference between elimination being impossible and the people not willing to accept it as an option any more. Elimination is possible, but it requires more hard work from a population that has given a helluva effort so far. The problem with deciding it’s no longer feasible is that you will be locking yourself away from most of the rest of Australia, which have eliminated it. No way other states should be expected to open up to a state that doesn’t have it under control.

So it’s a choice between two shit situations. Lockdown or national isolation. It sucks but the virus doesn’t care for what we want, it does what it does.

There is a difference between elimination being impossible and the people not willing to accept it as an option any more. Elimination is possible, but it requires more hard work from a population that has given a helluva effort so far. The problem with deciding it’s no longer feasible is that you will be locking yourself away from most of the rest of Australia, which have eliminated it. No way other states should be expected to open up to a state that doesn’t have it under control.

So it’s a choice between two sh*t situations. Lockdown or national isolation. It sucks but the virus doesn’t care for what we want, it does what it does.
Please tell me how it's possible when we've been in lock down since July and are having cases from Frankston lead to cases in a town 240kms away when most of us can't go more than 5kms from home?
And that's now when there is supposedly less than 200 cases out there.

Its in the industries that aren't locked down and they can't keep it out

NSW can't remain case free. Once its in the community good ****ing luck.

So it’s a choice between two sh*t situations. Lockdown or national isolation. It sucks but the virus doesn’t care for what we want, it does what it does.
It’s not an option. The virus is well and truly in the community now.

We’ve just undergone some of the harshest restrictions in the world for months and we haven’t got there. How do you think it’s going to happen as every second person starts hanging out in parks while all these people go back to work?

Please tell me how it's possible when we've been in lock down since July and are having cases from Frankston lead to cases in a town 240kms away when most of us can't go more than 5kms from home?
And that's now when there is supposedly less than 200 cases out there.

Its in the industries that aren't locked down and they can't keep it out

NSW can't remain case free. Once its in the community good ******* luck.
Victoria could close down some of those high risk industries but I accept the appetite isn’t there for that. So what do you want to do? You can open up, back your track and trace to keep it at manageable levels, but it’s likely you’ll only be allowed to open up to NSW and maybe SA. Australia will remain divided from each other just as long as the nation will be from the rest of the world. You simply can’t expect other states to introduce the virus because it’s out of the box elsewhere. That’s not fair either.

There’s a lot of talk that elimination is impossible and it’s time to open up. But there’s also no solutions to the bigger problems at hand. Maybe there aren’t any.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Victoria could close down some of those high risk industries but I accept the appetite isn’t there for that. So what do you want to do? You can open up, back your track and trace to keep it at manageable levels, but it’s likely you’ll only be allowed to open up to NSW and maybe SA. Australia will remain divided from each other just as long as the nation will be from the rest of the world. You simply can’t expect other states to introduce the virus because it’s out of the box elsewhere. That’s not fair either.

There’s a lot of talk that elimination is impossible and it’s time to open up. But there’s also no solutions to the bigger problems at hand. Maybe there aren’t any.
Just closed aged care and meat processing and freight trucks and supermarkets yeah?
**** me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back