Coronavirus 2020 / Worldwide (Stats live update in OP) Part 8: This Thread is for Reasonable ON TOPIC Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

What the fu** is the game plan in Perth from that ******* peanut?

Shuts down festivals and pubs over 1 case
Playing the long game,not buying into the Santa myth
If it all looks like a sore throat and a sniffle in a few weeks he is king of the world if it doesnt he still wins ....not like anyone is going to want to go to Bali for a while might be worse in a few months

3 cases in Gladstone

ALDI (167 Gladstone Road, Allenstown) 4.30pm - 5pm Casual contact.

Gladstone Yacht Club (1 Goondoon Street, Gladstone Central) between 5.25pm and 6.25pm Casual contact.

....................missed it by that much

I'm interested to see how it all goes after Christmas day and New Years. I'm guessing a lot of people who had symptoms who probably would've brushed it off a month ago are getting tested because they will be visiting elderly family members over Christmas. I'd almost guarantee the 300 a day was well below what was actually circulating.

...or a lot of people with very mild symptoms, or who didn't check in but were at exposure sites that deliberately won't get tested lest it stuffs their Christmas / New Year plans up.

I caught Covid in March 2020, and was by definition a “mild” case: not admitted to hospital and no risk factors for severe disease, but how it has affected me and my family is anything but mild.
Having been fit and active, I now find that on bad days I still struggle with everyday chores, and my usually quick-firing brain remains in slo-mo (“brain fog”), a far cry from the way it used to function when I was still working as a consultant in infectious diseases.
Days become a hierarchy of lists: on bad days I have to prioritise only that which is essential, and on good days I have to be careful not to overdo it.
Pacing has become vital, and the joy of spontaneity has been vanquished.
Everything has to be planned, to allow for time and rest between each activity, be it physical or mental.

I caught Covid in March 2020, and was by definition a “mild” case: not admitted to hospital and no risk factors for severe disease, but how it has affected me and my family is anything but mild.
Having been fit and active, I now find that on bad days I still struggle with everyday chores, and my usually quick-firing brain remains in slo-mo (“brain fog”), a far cry from the way it used to function when I was still working as a consultant in infectious diseases.
Days become a hierarchy of lists: on bad days I have to prioritise only that which is essential, and on good days I have to be careful not to overdo it.
Pacing has become vital, and the joy of spontaneity has been vanquished.
Everything has to be planned, to allow for time and rest between each activity, be it physical or mental.

That's really awful
Thanks for having the courage to post that
Hope things get better for you

(Log in to remove this ad.)

its like the days of shortwave radio, listening in from places afar and unattainable

I worked in a gold mine in the far northern goldfields of WA in 1988 and 1989, when I was on nightshift, I could sit in the work ute and pick up 3GL (Geelong, 1342 on AM) as clear as a bell from 10pm until 6am, WST, when the atmospherics were perfect for it. HF would have been more fun but beggars can't be choosers.

I worked in a gold mine in the far northern goldfields of WA in 1988 and 1989, when I was on nightshift, I could sit in the work ute and pick up 3GL (Geelong, 1342 on AM) as clear as a bell from 10pm until 6am, WST, when the atmospherics were perfect for it. HF would have been more fun but beggars can't be choosers.
89 would have been a good year listening to 3GL

Politicians calling vaccines the silver bullet was just politics

If you listened to the experts right from the start they were unsure of long lasting immunity from a vaccine due to how our bodies react to other coronaviruses

WHO and others called for rich countries to not jump the queue on vaccines, that it needed to be a global effort, Australia among the countries who jumped the queue

we also blocked access to patents to manufacture in poorer countries, we basically backed profits of pfizer and co over everything else

we continue to do it, we shut down production of AZ, feds refused to invest in manufacturing etc

Basically we're a country who votes for campaigners that don't have our interests in mind, we're generally selfish like they are and want what we want and fu** the rest of the world and this is the end result

Omicron won't be the last mutation, no chance of that. You want this over push for Australia to help vaccinate countries that can't afford to get in a bidding war for vaccines, get us to help manufacture and distribute

we don't yet know that Omicron is mild enough to offset the increase in trasmissibility enough to be less damaging overall

I thought the big criticism, and there has been plenty of it in this thread, was that Morrison was asleep at the wheel in acquiring more vaccinations for Australia earlier?

CSL is still manufacturing AZ, a simple search would have given you that information. We could have had unlimited supply of a vaccine that doesn't have to be stored and transported at -70 but idiots like the Qld, CHO (sorry for mentioning the war) turned the general public off it, particularly those who were already vaccination hesitant.

A lot of the AZ still being manufactured is being sent to Pacific nations and SE Asian countries.

I reckon the omicron variant will be our ticket out of this mess. If it pushes out deadlier variants, then it's the lesser of several evils.
Agree. Early signs are very promising.

The media hysteria around this new variant has been bizarre.

I thought the big criticism, and there has been plenty of it in this thread, was that Morrison was asleep at the wheel in acquiring more vaccinations for Australia earlier?

CSL is still manufacturing AZ, a simple search would have given you that information. We could have had unlimited supply of a vaccine that doesn't have to be stored and transported at -70 but idiots like the Qld, CHO (sorry for mentioning the war) turned the general public off it, particularly those who were already vaccination hesitant.

A lot of the AZ still being manufactured is being sent to Pacific nations and SE Asian countries.
Did she turn NZ off it and Canada and most of Wester Europe and South Africa too ?

US hasnt recommended AZ yet and their own CDC is recommending not taking JnJ because of very rare blood clots

amazing how Australia got a 90+% jab rate when people had choice

Did I miss the bit where the pandemic was declared over? What I've been reading is you can't just vaccinate your way out of it. Especially not when rich countries are hogging all the doses.

We are no where near high enough global coverage to not have to worry about further mutations and vaccines don't mean that we won't need any restrictions just that we should need less restrictions and a lot less people should die as a result
I haven't seen much discussion on BF about the ethical issues surrounding the hogging of vaccines by Australia and other wealthy nations, especially when we've moved onto boosters while other nations haven't had their first round of vaccines.

For all the whinging about selfish behaviour throughout the pandemic, surely that's right up there.

I had a short wave radio and an antenna my dad and i put up from my bedroom (top story in a corner) to the back fence. Used to get bbc, voice of america and other shortwave services.

One of Queensland’s most prestigious resorts has been dogged by staff walkouts, restaurant closures and anti-vaxxers badgering guests in the weeks before Christmas.
Among the complaints, guests have encountered staff refusing to wear masks and going on Covid conspiracy rants, while room service orders take hours to arrive.
Other guests complained of being confronted by staff entering rooms without masks or claiming that Covid was “a big conspiracy”, while room service dining has been the source of multiple complaints.
In a statement, a spokesperson for Versace declined to comment on reports unvaxxed staff were among the recent resignations, but said some of the departures were “much-welcomed” with the resort “excited to usher in a new era”.

480 here in SA. That’s a massive jump. Need to see some breakdown here but the Test? Very social occasion here, and drags a lot of people who cluster behind the grandstand in bars and marquees, with no intention of watching the game. Generally younger so hopefully no major impact on the healthcare system.

Bit sobering nonetheless…talk about ripping the bandaid off.
Surely SA Health should stop bothering with listing exposure sites? Most of them are from over a week ago anyway, so any close contacts would've spread it far across the metropolitan area and possibly beyond. Just tell people to get tested if they feel sick.

Last edited:
Surely SA Health should stop bothering listing exposure sites? Most of them are from over a week ago anyway, so any close contacts would've spread it far across the metropolitan area and possibly beyond. Just tell people to get tested if they feel sick.
probably not a bad idea to get tested if you were somewhere even if you dont feel sick if you are going to hug nan for Xmas

89 would have been a good year listening to 3GL

I listened to the first final (smacked by Essendon) drove back to Vic and went to the semi and pf and then joined the massive street party in Geelong for the gf. Happy days.
I haven't seen much discussion on BF about the ethical issues surrounding the hogging of vaccines by Australia and other wealthy nations, especially when we've moved onto boosters while other nations haven't had their first round of vaccines.

For all the whinging about selfish behaviour throughout the pandemic, surely that's right up there.

I've never liked it from the start, the other thing I don't like, WA in paticular are doing it, is trying to poach medically trained people from overseas.

Remove this Banner Ad

Coronavirus 2020 / Worldwide (Stats live update in OP) Part 8: This Thread is for Reasonable ON TOPIC Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back