Coronavirus 2020 / Worldwide (Stats live update in OP) Part 8: This Thread is for Reasonable ON TOPIC Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

I reckon some people are just wishing COVID gets into WA just so they can say ‘ha, now you have it too’. He’s made it clear they want to control its introduction as much as possible, he’s named an opening date, he hasn’t shut down, he’s reintroduced masks and closed the highest risk venues to try and avoid it spreading until the nominated date.

He’s in the fortunate position of seeing what letting it rip looks like and it’s not looking great, so spoiling Christmas for a lot of people would be a bad move.
Not looking great... have I missed something? I can still freely travel around my own country, head overseas and can't wait for my trip to NSW next week to see family. The media have painted a story where zombies are walking the streets and spreading more COVID, barely see a mention from a number of the CHOs and other health experts that are saying this a 5 times less severe variant. SA has eased more restrictions since numbers have started going up, we are actually learning to live with, unlike only one state in this country.

I reckon some people are just wishing COVID gets into WA just so they can say ‘ha, now you have it too’. He’s made it clear they want to control its introduction as much as possible, he’s named an opening date, he hasn’t shut down, he’s reintroduced masks and closed the highest risk venues to try and avoid it spreading until the nominated date.

He’s in the fortunate position of seeing what letting it rip looks like and it’s not looking great, so spoiling Christmas for a lot of people would be a bad move.
I think he's betting on the fact that staying open for Christmas can be to blame if it spreads
That it will be more popular than cancelling Christmas

Laaazzzyyy troll

I never suggested that Albo was right or wrong, only that the Scott government looks weak now because they flip flopped their position in less than 24hr. Attempting to show strength then having to come back tail between legs to make the change anyway.
Nah, you wanted to show how right Albo was (Labor) and how wrong Morrison was (LNP). Your language says it all.
By the way, is that the first time Albo has popped up with some "advice" over the past 2 years?

Why not?

Because we can do whatever we want for Christmas but just wear a mask indoors? Because our ICU and hospital levels have barely increased?

It's looking pretty great to me tbh.

Few people are likely walking around with the sniffles though, oh no!

Nah, you wanted to show how right Albo was (Labor) and how wrong Morrison was (LNP). Your language says it all.
By the way, is that the first time Albo has popped up with some "advice" over the past 2 years?

Boring.

If you want to keep running defence for the LNP you might want to try the right back pocket, they seem to be going down the right wing.

Covid infections are three times more prevalent among children aged five to 11 years old compared to the rest of the population in England, according to a new study.

More than 4.7 per cent of this age group were estimated as having the virus between late November and mid-December, the government-backed research found.

This was compared to just over 1.4 per cent across the general population.

I think we are starting to see that now. Governments are scared of being labled the ones to let covid spread.
Except Qld, dropping truth bombs.

Chief Health Officer John Gerrard earlier in the week saying case numbers would grow exponentially.

He went even further on Thursday, pointing out that COVID-19 was going to go right through Queensland, almost certainly in the form of the Omicron variant, and that authorities were not only not trying to stop it, they were counting on it.

“Not only is the spread of this virus inevitable, it is necessary,” Dr Gerrard said.

“In order for us to go from the pandemic phase to an endemic phase, the virus has to be widespread. We all have to have immunity.”

Albo pushed for Jobkeeper and the increase of Jobseeker.

But then The liberal rorted it to their mates, a theft of billions from this nation to people who did not need it.

Covid infections are three times more prevalent among children aged five to 11 years old compared to the rest of the population in England, according to a new study.

More than 4.7 per cent of this age group were estimated as having the virus between late November and mid-December, the government-backed research found.

This was compared to just over 1.4 per cent across the general population.

Will recover and develop durable immunity.

Interesting results from the NSW surveillance report for week ending 4th December, that between 32 and 49% of COVID infections among Aboriginal people in NSW are in children under 11. Also, unless there are serious other health concerns they will recover with durable immunity.

Also interesting that 30% of infections were in fully vaccinated people.

1640318430436.png

Fully vaccinated: completed the recommended vaccine course at least 14 days prior to known exposure to COVID-19.

Partially vaccinated (one effective dose):
• received their first dose of a two-dose vaccination course at least 21 days prior to known exposure to COVID-19 or
• received their second dose of a two-dose vaccination course less than 14 days prior to known exposure to COVID-19.

No effective dose:
• received their first dose of a two-dose vaccination course less than 21 days prior to known exposure to COVID-19 or arrival in Australia, or
• have not received any vaccine dose

5 more cases at this stage in WA, McGowan under the pump and struggling. Journos were battling but one named Joe put him on the spot asking about 05 Feb border opening date.

WA reclassifying QLD and SA to High Risk from midnight tonight

(Log in to remove this ad.)

5 more cases at this stage in WA, McGowan under the pump and struggling. Journos were battling but one named Joe put him on the spot asking about 05 Feb border opening date.

WA reclassifying QLD and SA to High Risk from midnight tonight
Time for WA to close the border to WA. Just too risky at this stage.

At least 80 domestic flights have been cancelled in Australia on Christmas Eve as COVID-19 isolation requirements put a strain on the country’s airline staff.

A Sydney Airport spokesman told The Sydney Morning Herald and The Age there were 80 domestic cancellations on Friday across all airlines, from more than 500 flights.

80 flights, use a 737 as a guide, 2 in the cockpit, 4 in the cabin x 80 that's at least 480, that seems an awful lot to be in isolation from one group of people. Maybe the airlines just put on too many flights in hope and struggled to fill them so are using COVID as an excuse to cancel them.

The airlines have said that everyone has been contacted and given seats on other flights so they obviously had the capacity to handle the load. I think the second scenario might be closer to the truth.

Ms D’Ath on Friday said people in parts of regional Queensland may be forced to comply with a mask mandate for the first time as chief health officer Dr John Gerrard said it was imperative people protect themselves with the growing number of cases putting pressure on the health system.
Can see that going down well in UAP sympathetic territory

TLDR
3rd jab doesnt last that long and 4th jab may reduce your immunity response ???,lets hope Omicron is nice to us and the next one isnt nasty either

Protection against Omicron appears to wane more rapidly than Delta among people who are boosted, government scientists have said – suggesting a fourth jab may soon be needed for older age groups in the population.

The UK Health Security Agency (UKHSA) said it has identified a 15 to 25 per cent faster decline in protection against symptomatic disease for those who have been triple-jabbed for 10 weeks or longer.

However, health officials believe it’s unlikely that these individuals are at a greater risk of severe illness. As a whole, people who catch Omicron are 50 to 70 per cent less likely to need hospital care compared to previous variants, new UKHSA analysis shows.

More data is ultimately needed to determine how long protection lasts against hospitalisation from Omicron. This will then shape the decision if, and when, to roll out a fourth jab among people with waning immunity, said Dr Mary Ramsay, head of immunisation at UKHSA.

Jerusalem: Israel is considering whether to approve a fourth COVID-19 vaccine dose for vulnerable people to contain the fast-spreading omicron variant, despite debate among scientists and a lack evidence either for or against another booster.

The panel of experts advising the Israeli government on the pandemic recognised that uncertainty, but on Tuesday it recommended giving a fourth dose, concluding that the potential benefits outweighed the risks. It pointed to signs of waning immunity a few months after the third shot and said that any delay in additional doses might prove too late to protect those most at risk.

But some scientists warned that the plan could backfire, because too many shots might cause a sort of immune system fatigue, compromising the body’s ability to fight the coronavirus.

Dr Gerrard also urged Queenslanders to celebrate Christmas outdoors where possible, as well as limit physical contact.

"I'm going to hug my mother I think, I'm not going to say to stop that for Christmas.
I think that would be probably going a little bit too far.

"Obviously if you have any symptoms if you are unwell, please, please don't attend Christmas events.

"If you're not vaccinated, stay away from everybody. Don't go to any Christmas event."

80 flights, use a 737 as a guide, 2 in the cockpit, 4 in the cabin x 80 that's at least 480, that seems an awful lot to be in isolation from one group of people. Maybe the airlines just put on too many flights in hope and struggled to fill them so are using COVID as an excuse to cancel them.

The airlines have said that everyone has been contacted and given seats on other flights so they obviously had the capacity to handle the load. I think the second scenario might be closer to the truth.
They would have been the same crew on a lot of those flights as they go back and forth. 80 flights cancelled isn't because 80 crews are out of action.

They would have been the same crew on a lot of those flights as they go back and forth. 80 flights cancelled isn't because 80 crews are out of action.

True, forgot about that. I still think they're just cutting services and filling other flights up.

Not looking great... have I missed something? I can still freely travel around my own country, head overseas and can't wait for my trip to NSW next week to see family. The media have painted a story where zombies are walking the streets and spreading more COVID, barely see a mention from a number of the CHOs and other health experts that are saying this a 5 times less severe variant. SA has eased more restrictions since numbers have started going up, we are actually learning to live with, unlike only one state in this country.
I mean, unless you were booked on one of the many flights cancelled because COVID means Qantas can’t adequately staff planes. Or you can’t get tested. Or you’re isolating. Or your festive celebrations were booked at a venue that’s had to close because it can’t find enough staff. These are the issues people didn’t anticipate. Whether there’s anything different we can do, I don’t know but it’s nice to have that extra time to consider it if you can.

The horse may have bolted now but there was nothing wrong with the plan.

Depends on how many legs they do. You can easily do a few Melbourne Sydney flights before hitting thier hours. You would have the usual annual leave at this time.

Quite a few people are taking time off in all industries. I've been told Metro have a few open shifts tomorrow.

Remove this Banner Ad

Coronavirus 2020 / Worldwide (Stats live update in OP) Part 8: This Thread is for Reasonable ON TOPIC Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back