Mega Thread Coronavirus & the AFL - season postponed. Part 2 * CONTINUED ABUSE WILL NOT BE TOLERATED *

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I reckon he’s doing a bloody good job under exceptionally difficult circumstances. I don’t like Daniel Andrews or his government, but I reckon he’s doing a bloody good in this situation as well. I’m prepared to put aside this class warfare s..t and get behind our leaders, rather than sniping around the periphery.

So, my hand is certainly not going up.
As far as I'm concerned, all Morrison should be doing is acting exactly on the medical advice. He doesn't know anything about this thing, so he should literally only be the mouthpiece for the experts who do, and not doing any thinking of his own. If he is doing this, it's a pass. If he's doing more or less, it's a fail.

In general he is a nutter though.

Key points:
  • Victoria and NSW will push for businesses, including restaurants and bars, to be closed at a Cabinet meeting tonight
  • Victoria will also ask for schools to be shut. If a wider national agreement is not reached, it will go it alone
  • The Government will also consider locking down COVID-19 "red zones", as has been done in Wuhan and parts of Europe

China hasn't maxed out. What are you talking about. They have got on top of one epicentre. But Australia had its first case only a few weeks ago. China could have another breakout somewhere else once they start to ease of, and they are back to square one. One of the fears of this disease is, the measures to stop it spreading are so stringent, its hard to keep them up for months, and if the measures ease of, then your back to where you were at the start of the disease. South Korea is already seeing the virus kick off again.

Okay dude, keep spreading that fear. By maxed out I mean the bell curve has flattened. Its freaking common sense there will be new cases, but their rate of infection has dramatically slowed.

tige19 and Light_Soda

The government had just unannounced an unprecedented stimulus package allowing people to even take superannuation early.

Most of the states and territories have closed their borders and its soon to be everyone.

All restaurants, and public establishments will be shut soon.

Is this all a facade or a hysterical reaction?

It's not that serious. It only kills a few old people.

tige19 and Light_Soda

The government had just unannounced an unprecedented stimulus package allowing people to even take superannuation early.

Most of the states and territories have closed their borders and its soon to be everyone.

If you refer to my past posts, I was never against full lock-downs. To be in favor of a lock-down which spans a short specific amount of time is not an admission of an outcome being high - but an admission that it would save time (and societal stress) in reaching what would have inevitably have been a low-end outcome at the expense of a negative economical impact. The issue was whether to choose one over the other.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The scene's from Bondi yesterday basically sumed up the attitude of younger Australians and some older ones. I'll be right and stuff making small sacrifices for the good of everyone.

My parents are 70+ and are still going out almost every night for dinner. Not only that, they are Northern Italians...

People just DGAF. I reckon if the virus gave you scales or made you lose your hair people would take it seriously.

tige19 and Light_Soda

1 young woman dieing doesnt define the disease. Its shit like this that pisses people off. I bet 1 woman died of choking on a pretzel somewhere in the world today too. Doesnt mean we ban pretzels. There will always be outliers, but in 99% cases it isnt true.

tige19 and Light_Soda

Sensationalist article, I will await an autopsy thanks.

From what I have seen we are.
‘I use this site for reference;
And watching from Wednesday we had 50 (last Sunday 250), Saturday 1000...By next Tuesday if it rings true we are at 2000 cases.
It’s doubling as far as I can determine.
We had 298 Sunday and 566 Wednesday.

Here is the solution for the AFL Season 2020.

Split the 18 teams into 3 Groups of 6.

First Rotation
6 Teams in Victoria (MCG & Etihad)
6 Teams in Northern Territory (Darwin & Alice Springs)
6 Teams in Tasmania (Launceston & Hobart)

Yes - get special dispensation from Tasmania & NT but I'm sure with proper screening this could be arranged. If not, go somewhere else first.

Play the other 5 teams over the next 4 weeks.

Then go to the Second Rotations
6 teams in Victoria (MCG & Etihad)
6 teams in WA-Perth (Perth Stadium)
6 teams in Queensland (Gabba & Gold Coast)

Play other 5 teams over next 4 weeks.

Then go to the Third Rotation
6 teams in Victoria (MCG & Etihad)
6 teams in SA-Adelaide (Adelaide Oval)
6 teams in NSW (SCG & Giants Stadium)

Play other 5 teams over next 4 weeks.

Between the rotations you might have a 2 week break.

Splitting the competition in 3 gives flexibility.

If there is a positive test - only that team and the other 5 teams in that region need to stand down. The two other regions can KEEP PLAYING.

This gives the league flexibility to deal with a positive test - and it also means the league cuts down significantly on travel.

Essentially you can play the season in 3 4 week blocks with games every night coming from a different region. 2 week breaks in between.

It also respects travel restrictions and is more in line with community sentiment than teams flying back and forth across the country every week.

Of course I have picked out 7 regions. That doesn't have to be set in stone. Maybe NT wouldn't agree with this. Fair enough. I'm sure Tasmania would agree to host 6 AFL Teams for a month - even if it means a 2 week quarantine period up front. Maybe you put them in the second rotation.

This is a solution to get this season played and create immense flexibility in the draw.

Thoughts?

Just no

Sorry so you have a link to support that "community acquired infection is starting to take over"?
Health department has daily reports.

Cases in NSW that are from overseas travel is now equalled by community acquired-known contact, community acquired-known contact and under investigation.

Overseas acquired is still the biggest category, but it's not the fastest growing category.

Given that it's not that long ago that all cases were overseas acquired, it's fair to say community acquired infection is starting to take over.

On moto g(6) plus using BigFooty.com mobile app

My parents are 70+ and are still going out almost every night for dinner. Not only that, they are Northern Italians...

People just DGAF. I reckon if the virus gave you scales or made you lose your hair people would take it seriously.

If people lost their hair then no one would go outside and this disease would've been defeated long ago.

1 young woman dieing doesnt define the disease. Its shit like this that pisses people off. I bet 1 woman died of choking on a pretzel somewhere in the world today too. Doesnt mean we ban pretzels. There will always be outliers, but in 99% cases it isnt true.
You haven't quite grasped statistical thinking. If 1 in every 100 pretzels killed, we would ban pretzels. Particularly if more than 40% of the population insisted on eating pretzels.

Well now. What about basing them in all in WA. If they want to play footy better move to the West. Forget about your families....
I couldn't care less given we cant go to games anyway. However 50% of the league is already based in 1 state so it would make the most sense to displace the least number of players and base it in Vic

You haven't quite grasped statistical thinking. If 1 in every 100 pretzels killed, we would ban pretzels. Particularly if more than 40% of the population insisted on eating pretzels.

And you have failed to grasp sarcasm. Lucky it's much lower than 1%. If you need it to be literal, the morality rate for under 40 is something like 0.1% with underlying conditions. With no underlying conditions, you could probably count it on 1 hand globally. But let's keep fear mongering together.

Better to disperse the teams and do so in 3 locations as I've suggested.

If you have them in 1 location, 1 positive test shuts down the whole competition.

If you have them dispersed in 3 locations 1 positive test only shuts down the 6 teams in that location.

AFL is really that important to keep going no matter what?

Ffs govts will give major financial assistance to everyone, no club will hit the wall

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back