Mega Thread Coronavirus & the AFL - season postponed. (Thread part 1 - cont in part 2, link in thread)

Has the coronavirus outbreak made you reconsider attending the footy

• Yes

Votes: 285 44.9%
  • No

Votes: 350 55.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Five games in 3 weeks, is a game every 4 days, so just 3 days off between games. That's asking a lot of players, even with shorter quarters. Would hate to see an increase in injuries due to shorter recovery..
01-game 1
06-game 2
11-game 3
16-game 4
21-game 5

5 days between games. They may even have a shorter break between a couple of games and then a longer break.

Sure he may have made bad decisions in the past, but what is he meant to do here? This is unprecedented for everyone! Nobody really knows what the right thing to do is.

The reason because he's still clearly working for Foxtel, it's the only reason why he'd want the season to start, through his own selfish greed!.

Starting the season for 4 weeks, then re doing a fixture is the most idiotic thing I've ever come across, and the fixture will into a pure money grab as well.

Insurance for what? If a players gets Corona virus and has to stay home and play Fortnite?
If a player catches a known communicable disease while working during a pandemic the league insurance won't cover the loss of earning for life lawsuit from their family.

Nor the negligence claim.

The virus is with us forever now. What if in 5 years a player tests positive will they shut the league down then and again in 8 years, 10 years. The virus is not going anywhere
It's the spike in cases this year, caused by a new disease with no vaccine, that will put massive pressure on our health system and potentially cause it to collapse. Once we get past the initial phase, it will become no different to the flu, there may be a vaccine,, others immune systems will be more prepared to fight it off etc. But this is a once-in-a-100-year event that will cause havoc this year and we just need to accept it and prepare for it.

I understand that but I don't see how that gels with the already shortenned season. Surely you go one or the other. The only reason for it would be if the AFL is contemplating a potential 3 month plus shut down. Which they may be, I guess I just don't see that happening os it doesnt make sense to me.

What if this all blows overby May and we have15 weeks to complete 12 rounds fo footy and theyre all being played on short quarters.
Dunno. I think I would thank my lucky stars that the threat didn’t kill or harm as many people as first anticipated. I don’t know that I would devote those months to bitching about short quarters or fewer games.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If a player catches a known communicable disease while working during a pandemic the league insurance won't cover the loss of earning for life lawsuit from their family.

Nor the negligence claim.

People could catch this virus working in all manner of jobs, doctors, nurses, supermarket workers etc, how is the AFL any different to other employers?

People could catch this virus working in all manner of jobs, doctors, nurses, supermarket workers etc, how is the AFL any different to other employers?
You'll notice how businesses are closing entire offices if one person tests positive, they have to be taking all reasonable measures to ensure they don't put their staff at risk.

All these other codes have called off their seasons but the AFL believes itself above it. Who is taking reasonable action?

It's not something you want to argue in court knowing that the loss of one player could cost the league $10m.

In civil cases surely the onus on the accuser
The balance of probabilities is worked out.

If the player is quarantined and none of the non playing team mates test positive and the opponent does. Well, what are the chances that infection started from a player source.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back