Analysis Coronavirus - The Impact IV “Phasing into the New Normal”

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whats everyone thoughts about state boarders being closed? The premier is copping a lot of flak about it.

Personally i am fine with the State ones being closed for the time being as other states are still having outbreaks here and there. Maybe we could stage an opening with a state like SA or NT as long as no other states are able to enter those two states.

BUT i think we should open the intrastate ones sooner than later as it should be pretty safe. If they are worried about the community up North than maybe with the resources they are using to maintain the current regions they could use those to protect the community's.

It is funny how people forget how we were all tracking.....

Government had my whole family on it for two years while living in PNG - its is hardly experimental - just that it may influence CV or it may not.
hydroxychloroquine
When I used to fly C-130 Hercules to PNG we would take it for the time we were there. It was a pretty old drug with known effects. The thing we were always briefed on was 'only for time needed' and 'whatever you do, don't exceed dosage limits'.

That's the problem. Some of the dosages suggested for C-19 are at the upper end of the scale and more likely to bring on the side effects. The worst of these were (and I assume still are) are heart issues and vision problems, even blindness, possibly permanent.

McGowan has done a great job to date & I took the jibes with the VIC's last week as a bit of banter. I do however think he runs the risk of over doing it if he keeps up the "we don't want you here/don't tell us what to do" narrative up & case numbers around Oz stay similar to what they are now.

hydroxychloroquine
When I used to fly C-130 Hercules to PNG we would take it for the time we were there. It was a pretty old drug with known effects. The thing we were always briefed on was 'only for time needed' and 'whatever you do, don't exceed dosage limits'.

That's the problem. Some of the dosages suggested for C-19 are at the upper end of the scale and more likely to bring on the side effects. The worst of these were (and I assume still are) are heart issues and vision problems, even blindness, possibly permanent.
Government had my entire family on it for two years while in PNG waiting for a C-130.

im fine for it to being closed but there needs to be some exemptions for workers and such

happy to open the border once there has been 2 weeks with no massive jumps on the east coast and very minimal cases.

There are already exemptions for essential workers and compassionate reasons, but the requirement to quarantine is more difficult to circumvent.

Don't think there'll be much disagreement if the borders are opened when NSW and Victoria stop recording spikes. For the time being, definitely no.

The AFL has lost the plot, was just listening to SEN and a grandparent had sent a message trying to understand why they could no longer visit their grand kids or see them all because their son plays AFL, whilst everyone else can.

If this is the sort of bullshit rules that need to be in place along with all the others they have hit the players with, they are now basically prisoners at home or at a golf resort, the mental damage being done to players and their families kids included ( imaging telling the kids they can't see their grandparents ) will far outweigh any positive in my opinion why even bother to start the season, and i will be against the norm here and i guess everywhere else, but i have lost interest in seeing this season starting, our team is disadvantaged with hub, it is now looking like only the WA teams will be in the hub, and yes they may be able to take families, but not all will, as some kids will be in school, and will hardly be a normal environment for kids locked down at a golf resort.

I'm sure the heath authorities in the closed states have a scenario that has to be reached before they will open, if there is no sign of community transmission in NSW and Victoria in a few weeks plans will be put in place to relax restrictions, intrastate travel will have to be opened before interstate will be allowed. The closed states don't want to put a timeline on opening borders to give themselves room to move if circumstances change.
Also politics is starting to rear it's ugly head now the crisis has eased, the Qld premier is copping a pounding because an election is only a few months away. The labor premiers premiers don't want to be seen to be bowing to pressure from the Libs.
Bottom line is no one wants borders to be closed for any longer than they have to be and waiting a few weeks in the scheme of things isn't going to cause much more damage than has already been done and much less than will be done if we kickstart the virus again.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Deputy Chief Medical Officer (Federal), Dr Nick Coatsworth:

"At the moment though, with the small number of cases Australia-wide, it is challenging to see the medical benefit of keeping State borders closed for lengthy periods of time going forward," he told Today. "The national strategy is suppression. Which means we are not going for zero cases. Australia-wide. So we expect to see small numbers of cases come up now and again. So I think it is important that that national strategy of suppression is a national strategy. That we don't have countries within countries during this pandemic."

Interesting take. I wonder how the states will respond? WA and Qld reps have been vocal advocates of their 'hard' borders.

The AFL has lost the plot, was just listening to SEN and a grandparent had sent a message trying to understand why they could no longer visit their grand kids or see them all because their son plays AFL, whilst everyone else can.

If this is the sort of bullshit rules that need to be in place along with all the others they have hit the players with, they are now basically prisoners at home or at a golf resort, the mental damage being done to players and their families kids included ( imaging telling the kids they can't see their grandparents ) will far outweigh any positive in my opinion why even bother to start the season, and i will be against the norm here and i guess everywhere else, but i have lost interest in seeing this season starting, our team is disadvantaged with hub, it is now looking like only the WA teams will be in the hub, and yes they may be able to take families, but not all will, as some kids will be in school, and will hardly be a normal environment for kids locked down at a golf resort.

Can't help but agree with you. But as per norm, it's $$$$ that are dictating everything here, and the Victorian fear of clubs folding if they forfeit the season.

A fair bit of discussion about Gladys Berejiklian's views today and some are calling it bullying.

And I do agree - since when is the Premier of NSW in a position to dictate to other states whether they should open up to a state that - as the Queensland Premier points out - has 50 times the amount of active cases as Queensland and community transmission? Similar sentiments from the Premiers of Tasmania and SA too who are rightly looking out for their own state first.

I am sure the Premiers will nut it out at National Cabinet but until then public pressure to open borders is cynical politicking - and not from McGowan and co.

I think it's now getting petty and unhelpful on both sides of the NSW border. I'm not a fan.
Needs to be toned down on all sides so that egos and saving face don't enter the equation of making important decisions.

I think it's now getting petty and unhelpful on both sides of the NSW border. I'm not a fan.
Needs to be toned down on all sides so that egos and saving face don't enter the equation of making important decisions.

Pollies put aside ego for an extended period? :rolleyes::drunk:
I'm just glad they managed to do it when we had a potential full blown crisis. Now that things have settled they're back to being themselves.

Do you have a source for this mate? I’ve only read about various stakeholders wanting a showdown in Adelaide before Port and the Crows head for the GC hub.

Yeh i may have miss heard what is going on in SA, either way the restrictions the AFL are putting on the players is beyond unreasonable, and cannot be good for there or families mental health, it's not only players that will be affected by these rules and regulations, wives won't be able to visit or see parents and families unless they live with them.

You can probably note the ones taking potshots at each other are on opposite sides of politics. That being said their points are actually probably both right from their own point of view.

From a NSW point of view - They want to get the economy going with the current levels they have as they are extremely low on a world scale They have a higher level of infection than the states they are requesting to open borders with so not much to lose on that front.

From a Qld/WA POV - keep you filthy Rona infested people out of my state.

You can probably note the ones taking potshots at each other are on opposite sides of politics. That being said their points are actually probably both right from their own point of view.

From a NSW point of view - They want to get the economy going with the current levels they have as they are extremely low on a world scale They have a higher level of infection than the states they are requesting to open borders with so not much to lose on that front.

From a Qld/WA POV - keep you filthy Rona infested people out of my state.
Yeah I think dewcefault pretty much summed it up with pollies being pollies. Until fairly recently, everyone had done a solid job under the circumstances of getting the job done. Now that flattening the curve has been a success and the heat is off, the scope for bickering opens right up again.
I think McGowan has done an exceptional job to date. I just don't want him painting WA into a corner that we might not need to be stuck in.
So far his arrogance has been 2018 Eaglesesque, but it's a fine line and I think it starts to hurt the state unnecessarily if it goes too far.

A fair bit of discussion about Gladys Berejiklian's views today and some are calling it bullying.

And I do agree - since when is the Premier of NSW in a position to dictate to other states whether they should open up to a state that - as the Queensland Premier points out - has 50 times the amount of active cases as Queensland and community transmission? Similar sentiments from the Premiers of Tasmania and SA too who are rightly looking out for their own state first.

I am sure the Premiers will nut it out at National Cabinet but until then public pressure to open borders is cynical politicking - and not from McGowan and co.
expressing an opinion isn't dictating unlesss you have a complex

expressing an opinion isn't dictating unlesss you have a complex

Mere semantics - she expressed the opinion is that the leaders of WA, SA, NT and Qld are in error and are only concerned with their popularity, and has been clear that she wants interstate restrictions lifted. You'd think the default position would be to butt out - both for WA and NSW.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back