Brownlow Medallist
Veteran 10k Posts NFL Board HoF
Oct 5, 2004
Athens, GA
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Phils, Eagles, Flyers, Sunderland
OK- I know heaps of people have gone to the World Cup, and it has been one of the tremendous selling points for hosting the tournament.

BUT

FIFA have seriously pissed off nations that put forward very good bids for 2018 and 2022.

The next three tournaments could be very problematic for tourists....let's look individually...

2014- No question about Brasil's love for the game, but the stadium constructuoin is apparently behind schedule, transport within the country aint the easiest by all accounts and the crime rate is pretty high in major cities. Will the visitors be kept safe for the games?

2018- Russia certainly has a football heritage, going back a long way, bt what about costs in Russia? As people have commented, spending time in Moscow and St Petersburg can be incredibly expensive- and there isn't the hotels for the tourists coming on a budget to see the world Cup. The Russians are also talking about major work on transportation- will it get finished by 2018? Will the stadia be finished in time? will cheaper hotels be built?

2022- Well, do we need anything else other than 50 degree temps and no alcohol? Sounds like a real party atmosphere there.

As somebody on BBC was seeing, a lot of Brits are more interested in club than country at this point- could these three World Cups turn them into shunning national teams and going strictly for club titles? And if they do, could other countries follow suit?

Just a thought....

was watching ESPN press pass and they were discussing this very issue. Do you think there is a chance that a large number of football nations could hold their own rival tournament in 2022 to protest against FIFA and their blatantly corrupt decision to award them a World Cup?

Nope- can't see that- but the crowds may be down a lot if things stay as they are in Qatar- FIFA could be talking themselves out of world Cups by putting them in too many "developing" areas.....

There was an interesting article in one of the papers stating that the confederations cup (i think, the tournament that pits the winners of each league against each other ) is fastly becomming more preeminant then the WC

There was an interesting article in one of the papers stating that the confederations cup (i think, the tournament that pits the winners of each league against each other ) is fastly becomming more preeminant then the WC

Don't know where you heard that one. Confederations Cup is a warm up tournament to test out World Cup facilities one year prior to the World Cup - it will never overshadow the World Cup.

Perhaps you heard about the FIFA Champions Cup - that's a tournament that FIFA is proposing in place of the confederations cup for Brazil in 2013 - all 8 winners of the World Cup playing each other in 2 groups of 4.

Brazil has shad crime and poverty for decades, but tourist areas are basically safe. only nutters like o'brien iginore warnings about the favelas.

Its a fantastic country and well worth a visit. it is very developed while still having development issues

I dont think countries will deliberately go against fifa, but for example, australia and england could create an 'ashes' type contest as a friendly if they wanted to take another tack

Don't know where you heard that one. Confederations Cup is a warm up tournament to test out World Cup facilities one year prior to the World Cup - it will never overshadow the World Cup.

Perhaps you heard about the FIFA Champions Cup - that's a tournament that FIFA is proposing in place of the confederations cup for Brazil in 2013 - all 8 winners of the World Cup playing each other in 2 groups of 4.

cant recall the exact name of it, but it was the tournament where the winners of each league or association play each other. ie like if the vfl premier plays the sanfl premier and wafl premier and qafl premier and so on

Brazil has shad crime and poverty for decades, but tourist areas are basically safe.

Beg to differ!

I've been to 52 countries and the only place I have been bashed is Rio. On Ipanema beach in broad daylight with thousands on the beach.

Brazil's a cool place, but it is ****ing dangerous no matter where you go.

cant recall the exact name of it, but it was the tournament where the winners of each league or association play each other. ie like if the vfl premier plays the sanfl premier and wafl premier and qafl premier and so on

Champions League. The name is the Champions League

Champions League- and that could be a major threat to the World Cup- yes, it is European (South America has the Copa Liberatores), but the matches are the money spinners for the big clubs, Like Barcelona, AC milan, bayern Munich et al. The supporters are right behind their clubs when it comes to the CL- and the TV rights are getting really big, and ARE world wide.

Plus, it takes place every year, and every year a different city is picked to host the final.

Wouldn't say it is a threat right now, but give it another decade and a couple of world cups where fan interest is down a bit- you could see club over country.

Frank lowry should have just worn his budgie smugglers, if he had of done that we have been shoo ins to host the WC

****! and I thought the image of Abbott in his Speedos was bad.

Thank's mick...might just have to go watch some pr0n to remove that image now. :p

eugh.

OK- I know heaps of people have gone to the World Cup, and it has been one of the tremendous selling points for hosting the tournament.

BUT

FIFA have seriously pissed off nations that put forward very good bids for 2018 and 2022.

The next three tournaments could be very problematic for tourists....let's look individually...

2014- No question about Brasil's love for the game, but the stadium constructuoin is apparently behind schedule, transport within the country aint the easiest by all accounts and the crime rate is pretty high in major cities. Will the visitors be kept safe for the games?

2018- Russia certainly has a football heritage, going back a long way, bt what about costs in Russia? As people have commented, spending time in Moscow and St Petersburg can be incredibly expensive- and there isn't the hotels for the tourists coming on a budget to see the world Cup. The Russians are also talking about major work on transportation- will it get finished by 2018? Will the stadia be finished in time? will cheaper hotels be built?

2022- Well, do we need anything else other than 50 degree temps and no alcohol? Sounds like a real party atmosphere there.

As somebody on BBC was seeing, a lot of Brits are more interested in club than country at this point- could these three World Cups turn them into shunning national teams and going strictly for club titles? And if they do, could other countries follow suit?

Just a thought....

Really, USA are pretty much a shoo-in for 2026 now. Therefore, the USA will get over it.

As per FIFA's hosting policies, no Confederation which has hosted the World Cup in the past 2 cycles will be able to host a World Cup.

That eliminates Europe & Asia.

Leaving Oceania, North America, South America, Africa.

Realistically - perhaps Australia should exit Asia and rejoin Oceania - could be our best shot at hosting a World Cup. Seriously. 2026 would be a real chance then.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Really, USA are pretty much a shoo-in for 2026 now. Therefore, the USA will get over it.

As per FIFA's hosting policies, no Confederation which has hosted the World Cup in the past 2 cycles will be able to host a World Cup.

That eliminates Europe & Asia.

Leaving Oceania, North America, South America, Africa.

Realistically - perhaps Australia should exit Asia and rejoin Oceania - could be our best shot at hosting a World Cup. Seriously. 2026 would be a real chance then.

Well nauru might want the 2026 world cup so the USA might be in strife

Aus should try having a good domestic league and developing a good NT.
before worrying about hosting the WC
oh and change from that terrible yellow and green strip.

Was going to go to Germany four years ago but school exams got in the way.

Was never going to South Africa. The stories my South African neighbour told me about there only reaffirmed that.

Brazil is probably not. Seems just as dangerous as South Africa. Apparently they have the homicide rate per capita in the world.

Russia is a maybe. I need to be properly consulted on this one.

Qatar. No. If not for obvious reasons, for bitterness at robbing me of a WC in Australia or the US.

Here's the thing though. I REALLY want to go to a WC. It's just that FIFA keep picking such sh*tty destinations for them. I'm considering the Euros instead. What's Poland and Ukraine like? Surely better than Qatar.

Here's the thing though. I REALLY want to go to a WC. It's just that FIFA keep picking such sh*tty destinations for them. I'm considering the Euros instead. What's Poland and Ukraine like? Surely better than Qatar.
Russia>Ukraine(dont tell any Ukrainians I know that, I'd be killed)>Poland>Qatar

I'm already preparing for Russia 2018. Even if Australia don't make it

I'll be in Uni when Brazil comes around, and there is no chance in hell I'm going to Qatar (well, unless it's a part of a chernobyl type tour) so Russia is the only world cup I'd go to before 2026, and in 2026, i'd be 36, so wouldnt be enjoying it as well as I could like in 2018 when im 28

Remove this Banner Ad

Could FIFA become irrelevant by 2022?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back