COVID-19 / Coronavirus

Remove this Banner Ad

Still far more concerned about mental health than physical health in relation to this virus.

Footy gives hope to the mental health problem so I couldn't be happier that it's going ahead.

When people lose their houses, their passions, their jobs and their hope we will see far more victims to suicide than Covid 19.

I'd be in full support of a 'normalcy retention' focus group that could work on discovering the best methods of helping society THROUGH all of this as opposed to just cancelling everything. What do I mean? No blanket ban on non-essential businesses. No forced isolation on healthy people. There are ways around it, I firmly believe that.

Regardless, we have some footy on this weekend and that's a positive. Country footy being stopped has hit me and others hard. Hopefully it's a very tempoary measure.
We don’t have the testing capacity to mange the situation like either south Korea or Singapore. In absence of testing we need to exclude people. You are contagious for up to 14 days prior to symptoms so without testing we would just be running on luck. Appreciate it is a frustrating situation.

We don’t have the testing capacity to mange the situation like either south Korea or Singapore. In absence of testing we need to exclude people. You are contagious for up to 14 days prior to symptoms so without testing we would just be running on luck. Appreciate it is a frustrating situation.

With all due respect to your response (which is completely reasonable and I do not bemoan you for holding that opinion), peoples LIVES are worth more than then a description of 'a frustrating situation'.

Mortality rate + number of cases + preventive measures NOT limited to curfews and societal shutdowns = less than the importance of maintaining the very basis of our lives at all costs.

Hell, in January I had footy training about 20 minutes from the nearest bushfire in air quality at a hazardous level. Now I can't even go to training because 600 people out of 24 million have tested positive to a virus that has killed 6. Accepting that middle ground is still difficult. Normal life needs to exist until it absolutely cannot.

With all due respect to your response (which is completely reasonable and I do not bemoan you for holding that opinion), peoples LIVES are worth more than then a description of 'a frustrating situation'.

Mortality rate + number of cases + preventive measures NOT limited to curfews and societal shutdowns = less than the importance of maintaining the very basis of our lives at all costs.

Hell, in January I had footy training about 20 minutes from the nearest bushfire in air quality at a hazardous level. Now I can't even go to training because 600 people out of 24 million have tested positive to a virus that has killed 6. Accepting that middle ground is still difficult. Normal life needs to exist until it absolutely cannot.
That is a value judgement that you are entitled to make. But a virus is different to a fire. In January you could take a risk with your life and it had no impact on others (immediate family aside). Now everyone’s actions have consequences for others. People are giving up things that they value. People will lose their jobs. People will lose their businesses. And maybe their homes. Some people will be so badly affected by the economic shocks that they never fully recover. Believe me when I say this, I fully appreciate the consequences of social distancing and the stronger forms of shut down will have on people’s lives.

My dads currently having Chemo. I told them (Mum and Dad) I would not be popping in for 6 weeks or so around a week ago. Its tough as I had been a regular support.

These fit young blokes can train and play together avoiding unnecessary contact with fans and the general populace, including, not visiting aged family without the added stress I have.

The risk is very low to pretty much everyone involved playing, as long as adequate safeguards are in effect. Play the games.

As a family we are self isolating pretty much. The kids guitar, basketball and soccer is postponed. We have have bought paint for the house and seeds to have a crack at winter a decent winter vegie crop. Still working but with strict personal contact parameters and other safety measures in effect etc.

Is common sense enough to prevail?
Props for your stance and best wishes to ya dad.

As for common sense, it ain't that common and unfortunately I have little faith in fellow man to develop any in times of stress.

As for the veggie plot, at this time of year go with seedlings as seed will take too long to establish as winter starts and things get cooler.

That is a value judgement that you are entitled to make. But a virus is different to a fire. In January you could take a risk with your life and it had no impact on others (immediate family aside). Now everyone’s actions have consequences for others. People are giving up things that they value. People will lose their jobs. People will lose their businesses. And maybe their homes. Some people will be so badly affected by the economic shocks that they never fully recover. Believe me when I say this, I fully appreciate the consequences of social distancing and the stronger forms of shut down will have on people’s lives.

I'm still firmly of the view that the severity of the illness doesn't warrant the extreme loss. This makes up the majority of my belief that a middle ground assault on protecting our ideals is absolutely imperative before simply accepting that 'people will lose everything'.

Tasmania has banned any non essential travel into their state. This puts all Hawks Tassie games in jeapordy

Reading some of these sensible posts on here is great. Well done to those that are sitting back and not sniping those that are prepared to share there concerns.

I personally still don’t get it that we are actually playing footy when every other sport is shut down and that’s coming from a footy junkie.

I do understand how it may give people a lift in these times but to be honest I still can’t believe how they have managed to get to this decision with everything else going on in the world.

I'm still firmly of the view that the severity of the illness doesn't warrant the extreme loss. This makes up the majority of my belief that a middle ground assault on protecting our ideals is absolutely imperative before simply accepting that 'people will lose everything'.
Well we haven’t shut down work places or schools yet but despite social distancing policies the number of confirmed cases is growing at 15% a day for the past 2-3 weeks and we are restricting testing to the most likely cases. It is more infectious than the flu and we know so little about it that we don’t yet have well understood treatment methods. Should vaccines and antivirals prove to be effective, the primary danger is overcome and then it matters less about the spread of the disease. Until then, being precautionary saves lives. We don’t want to go down the same path as Italy.

Props for your stance and best wishes to ya dad.

As for common sense, it ain't that common and unfortunately I have little faith in fellow man to develop any in times of stress.

As for the veggie plot, at this time of year go with seedlings as seed will take too long to establish as winter starts and things get cooler.
All the bloody seedlings were gone!

Last edited:
Mate that ruling is for everybody..... but I reckon the AFL will be able to find a way around it.
What value is there in flying 100 odd people to Tassie to play in an empty stadium and go back home?

All you are doing is bringing in 100 odd people that could have covid19 and giving them contact with some locals before going home

The other thing on Tassie is we are going to have either 8 or 9 home games with a 17 round season.

So we've lost 2-3 home games, will any of them be from Tassie? If we aren't playing in Tassie while this is happening but we get to the point where games are played and the crowds are back is Tassie where the club will want to be playing its home games or is Melbourne where it will want to play?

I'd not be surprised if we don't play in Tassie at all this year

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I still have to go to work in and around heaps of people in the transport industry, so I have no issue with 22 blokes playing 22 blokes in a empty stadium. I think we're all aware of what is more likely to spread COVID-19.

As for the game on Sunday, sadly I think we'll get beat, think home crowd advantage was pivotal in our quest to upset the Lions.
Same mate, I work in public transport and honestly the risk of contracting covid-19 from my daily interaction with the public (albeit it in reduced numbers compared to a week ago) is so much higher than 22 players vs 22 players in an empty stadium in open air it is not funny. I am not going to stop going to work though cause we can't shut down public transport, that would be catastrophic (how would the doctors and nurses get to the hospitals, etc).

Everyone needs to maintain a sense of proportion in these times. As the cover page of "The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy" says in large friendly letters "DONT PANIC".

Sage advice fellow travellers.

In your version of events, “losing everything” is a financial loss.

In the real world, “losing everything” is dying prematurely because our health system is not adequately prepared for the likely number of critical patients.

A failure to take pre-emptive action is therefore tantamount to what I would classify as a form of death by negligence – manslaughter, essentially.

I’m sure you disagree. But the firmness of your beliefs is symptomatic of a wider intellectual deterioration in society – a cultural dismissal of expertise and evidence, replaced by ill-informed, ill-considered feelings.

Of course, if a vaccine or a cure (which up until this point has not been considered likely within a 12-18 month timeframe) suddenly appears, you might feel justified in your views.

This should not be considered a personal attack. Your views are widely held. And the actions of those who dismiss the threat, and are ignoring advice are contributing to the unnecessarily fast, unseen and unrecorded spread of a novel and deadly virus.

In two weeks, when 50 people are dead, is that still acceptable? What about 500? What’s the threshold?

Should we find out? I don’t think so.

Last edited:
What value is there in flying 100 odd people to Tassie to play in an empty stadium and go back home?

All you are doing is bringing in 100 odd people that could have covid19 and giving them contact with some locals before going home

yes no point at all. I assume the Tas Govt will not be handing over there 4 Mill annual cheque.

They are playing to empty stadiums aren't they?

I seriously doubt 44 players playing a game of football for (under) 2 hours in an empty stadium is going to make one iota of difference to covid-19 transmission rates in Australia.

And even if they do get infected surely a bunch of extremely fit 20 year olds would be a functionally zero risk of dying (or even getting seriously ill).

I cant tell if you are being sarcastic or not.. The argument for cancelling it isnt to protect the players, it is to protect the vulnerable people these players then interact with.

By your reasoning why would they be closing schools because kids are low risk... its because they are great at infecting others.

How are people STILL not understanding this?!?

Personally i am looking fwd to watching footy but i think its a touch irresponsible from the AFL.

Its a ****ing game.

yes no point at all. I assume the Tas Govt will not be handing over there 4 Mill annual cheque.

Most probably, but Hawks wont be handing over any fake 'AFL tax' money to other clubs either

Ah well the governments got their priorities right and allowing our pokies to keep going, losses hedged

In the real world, “losing everything” is dying prematurely because our health system is not adequately prepared for the likely number of critical patients.

A failure to take pre-emptive action is therefore tantamount to what I would classify as a form of death by negligence – manslaughter, essentially.

I’m sure you disagree. But the firmness of your beliefs is symptomatic of a wider intellectual deterioration in society – a cultural dismissal of expertise and evidence, replaced by ill-informed, ill-considered feelings.

Of course, if a vaccine or a cure (which up until this point has not been considered likely within a 12-18 month timeframe) suddenly appears, you might feel justified in your views.

This should not be considered a personal attack. Your views are widely held. And the actions of those who dismiss the threat, and are ignoring advice are contributing to the unnecessarily fast, unseen and unrecorded spread of a novel and deadly virus.

In two weeks, when 50 people are dead, is that still acceptable? What about 500? What’s the threshold?

Insert TAC road safety add.

How many dead is a good number.
What if said number are all from your extended family.
Not so cool now.

I cant tell if you are being sarcastic or not.. The argument for cancelling it isnt to protect the players, it is to protect the vulnerable people these players then interact with.

By your reasoning why would they be closing schools because kids are low risk... its because they are great at infecting others.

How are people STILL not understanding this?!?

Personally i am looking fwd to watching footy but i think its a touch irresponsible from the AFL.

Its a ******* game.
I am not being sarcastic at all.

So we close the schools, who will look after the kids of the farmers, doctors, nurses, delivery drivers, food manufacturers, garbage pick up drivers, etc, etc.

Do you get the elderly grandparents to look after them, that sure sounds like a great idea...... Plus a lot of the research I am reading is suggesting that not only do children not get covid-19 (usually) they also seem to be of minimal importance in spreading it.

It is so much easier to say "close the school" cause its a snappy catch phrase. I feel like many people coming out with phrases such as this have non essential white collar jobs (no disrespect have had jobs like that in the past) and don't actually comprehend the amount of effort and manpower it takes to keep a society ticking over.

You close the schools and you basically turn the economy off and watch the bloodshed that will entail. Suicides will skyrocket, lively hoods will be lost, families will be broken up. You want that on your conscience, I definetly do not.

Unfortunately, I think that Canberra is being influenced by the same moronic ideas that you are. Oh, well, fingers crossed that more rational heads prevail.
I‘m sorry that you’re already annoyed by the measures the federal government has taken. I hope I’m wrong but I think it’s the very beginning.

Last I heard the number of cases increased by 25% between yesterday and today...

That’s an out of control rate of infection and about the same as France a fortnight ago. If it follows the same path in Aus as it did here (I live in europe), it will go 1) work from home 2) shops close except grocers/pharmacies/take away food 3) Everybody has to stay inside, only come out for essentials.

My brother lives in Norway and his wife is a medical professional. He's working from home with the kids and in the case where both parents work in essential services, the school is still open with a few teaches to look after those kids. Very few of the families have 2 parents working in essential services and outside of medical/care related services, other industries are slowing down even shutting down due to the economic slowdown. It is the same as happening in Australia

It's totally possible to do this in Australia, too it just seems like the government is staggering the slowdown as slowly as possible to give every chance to get below the curve. It will happen and has been alluded to in the media via government personnel but not officially stated.

Our government modelling indicating Mid June to Mid July being the most problematic months is not a joke, getting as many people as possible isolated and not able to infect others as quickly as possible is a reality and closing schools is inevitable.
IMO, it should be happening now but from an economic standpoint, I can see why they are holding out as long as possible.

6 deaths in 2 months.

8 per day from suicide.

Not using this fact to tell you I think you are wrong. Please don't misinterpret. I'm posting it because it's my major concern in all of this. Currently I'm more horrified by the latter statistic.

Remove this Banner Ad

COVID-19 / Coronavirus

Remove this Banner Ad

Back