Resource Covid Watch - which players/coaches have it, who is isolating etc

Remove this Banner Ad

Listening to Charlie on his new regular AA segment and he said he had caught covid. Think he said 10 days ago and has isolated for 7. Said it knocked him around for 1 day. days.

The other day I was trying to find who was out of action because they were a close contact and couldn't find anything. Then Rozee might have it stories surfaced.

Think we should have a thread that specifically lists who at Port ie coaches, players, officials in the footy department has it, and who is out of action as they are a close contact rather than it being buried in the injury thread or general port or afl threads.

There will be regular occurrences of this happening this season.

Last edited:
Thankfully it is not Port but Carlton has already been hit. Michael Voss and 3 others have tested positive for Covid and are isolating.

Jack Martin is one of those who tested positive so team mates and Richmond players are possibly at risk. I assume that all AFL players take a RAT before they play so the chances are these guys tested negative in the pre game RAT but tested positive the following day. If that is the case they may not have been infectious when they played. Then again SA Heath say that the infectious period starts two days before the positive test.

In the aftermath I guess everyone tests, monitors for symptoms and hopes the virus has not been transmitted. If it is the BA2 strain then the possibility of infection is increased by around 30%.

Let us hope this is a one off and it will be interesting to see how it pans out. We may get some idea of what to expect should a Port player test positive. Not sure if the isolation rules are different in every State.

Last edited:
Really becomes a IQ test for players.
People are going to be shocked to learn player A can test positive this week and test positive again in 12 weeks time. This will happen.
At the risk of turning this into a different thread.

Robbie Gray has been ruled out of Friday night’s Variety Showdown LI under the AFL’s Health and Safety protocols.

Gray will be back in training next week before the Round 4 Thursday night game against reigning premier Melbourne.

Frederick confirmed as covid and Jones out as part of close contact.

PORT ADELAIDE

In:
A.Aliir, J.Finlayson, R.Gray, S.Hayes, S.Skinner
Out: L.Jones (HS Protocol), O.Wines (illness)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Last edited:
Ollie Wines has revealed he was targeted by anti-vaxxers who accused him of being “paid off” after he suffered heart abnormalities during an AFL game.

lol, everyone knows he has been paid off by Big Pharma.

Something in it obviously went adverse, how can it not be connected if he had the shot and then had symptoms

Thanks Ross, saw that but it slipped my mind. Geez, we do not want too many more. Thus far it looks to have been confined to the SANFL side but the players are in close contact and the worrying thing is Covid is really a minute to minute proposition as a player can feel unwell and test positive at any time just ask West Coast. That is four plus Bergmann's mystery virus hmmm.

Kane Farrell is interesting given the rumour that he had tested positive last week. Not too sure what to think about Kane's situation, I had a good laugh at the false report but I am not laughing now. :huh:

PS I think we have to get down to 30 fit AFL players before we can evoke the Covid back up pool register. I am not sure if that includes non Covid injury. By my count this week we have 4 with Covid, Bergmann with a virus plus Fantasia, Lycett, McKenzie and Sinn injured. The unvailable list is starting to creep up.

Thought I would put the above post in here as well.

West Coast are down to 22 fit AFL listed players this week. West Coast and their opponents Brisbane have been granted a selection deadline extension by the AFL but have had to postpone their WAFL game as they do not have enough AFL listed players to meet the WAFL rules. In addition their Coach has tested positive and Peter Knights will Coach the Eagles against Brisbane.

We are OK atm but we would not want too many more in protocol. We have 42 players on our AFL list and have 9 out with Covid or injured which leaves us with 33 fit players on our AFL list. One thing about it, the theory is once you test positive you are supposed to have several months natural immunity so maybe the best bet is to have it progress slowly through the squad.

Matthew Nicks has Covid, Adam Simpson has Covid, all the Coaches are getting Covid except Ken. Maybe Diet Coke is the secret? :think:

Only found out on Wednesday that the AFLPA had imposed on clubs/AFL that players cant be named publicly by them that they have covid. The player can say he has it to the media.

This is why all we hear is player x or coach y is out with Health and Safety Protocols. I think only Voss came out and said he had covid and that's why he wont coach, but he was the first one of the coaches to have to miss a game. Reckon I heard Simpson say late last night on the news he had covid.

Probably got to do with idiots and the media harassing covid positive people in the early days of the pandemic and AFLPA wanting to protect players from that.

Remember the shit thrown at Essendon's Conor McKenna when the comp restarted in June 2020 and he tested positive. Was part of the reason why he returned to Ireland.

And whilst the governments around Oz have removed most close contact protocols, the AFL hasn't.

Only found out on Wednesday that the AFLPA had imposed on clubs/AFL that players cant be named publicly by them that they have covid. The player can say he has it to the media.

This is why all we hear is player x or coach y is out with Health and Safety Protocols. I think only Voss came out and said he had covid and that's why he wont coach, but he was the first one of the coaches to have to miss a game. Reckon I heard Simpson say late last night on the news he had covid.

Probably got to do with idiots and the media harassing covid positive people in the early days of the pandemic and AFLPA wanting to protect players from that.

Remember the shit thrown at Essendon's Conor McKenna when the comp restarted in June 2020 and he tested positive. Was part of the reason why he returned to Ireland.

And whilst the governments around Oz have removed most close contact protocols, the AFL hasn't.

You are right, in most States close contacts no longer have to isolate for 7 days as they merely take 5 RATs over 7 days and wear a mask when they leave the house. The AFL protocol seems to be that players are required to isolate from the playing group for 7 days.

The AFL have probably adopted a play it safe stance and we cannot blame them for that. If Covid gets a hold in a couple of clubs the competition will be severely compromised. So far West Coast are the only club badly affected by Covid and we should be grateful for that while keeping our fingers crossed.

As for naming a player with Covid everyone seems to know the implications of a player missing with the AFL 'Health & Safety Protocol' and everytime a player is out under these circumstances the media automatically call it as Covid regardless. Everyone from Anthony Albanese to Guy Sebastian seems to have picked up Covid so there should no longer be any social stigma attached to it. Given the changes in social attitude toward Covid over the past 2 years the AFLPA may as well let the AFL call it as it is.

As for naming a player with Covid everyone seems to know the implications of a player missing with the AFL 'Health & Safety Protocol' and everytime a player is out under these circumstances the media automatically call it as Covid regardless. Everyone from Anthony Albanese to Guy Sebastian seems to have picked up Covid so there should no longer be any social stigma attached to it. Given the changes in social attitude toward Covid over the past 2 years the AFLPA may as well let the AFL call it as it is.
Nope there are still quiet a few who say Health and Safety Protocols or Covid Health and Safety protocols.

Thought I would put the above post in here as well.

West Coast are down to 22 fit AFL listed players this week. West Coast and their opponents Brisbane have been granted a selection deadline extension by the AFL but have had to postpone their WAFL game as they do not have enough AFL listed players to meet the WAFL rules. In addition their Coach has tested positive and Peter Knights will Coach the Eagles against Brisbane.

We are OK atm but we would not want too many more in protocol. We have 42 players on our AFL list and have 9 out with Covid or injured which leaves us with 33 fit players on our AFL list. One thing about it, the theory is once you test positive you are supposed to have several months natural immunity so maybe the best bet is to have it progress slowly through the squad.

I would not count on months.

I know 2 people who tested positive 6-8 weeks ago who have tested positive a second time. (both working aged care and tested regularly)

It's an IQ test and hopefully staying lucky but you do what you can to avoid it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back