Opinion Cox...

Remove this Banner Ad

two good games this year, wow.

It's more about the long term picture. The club clearly thinks we're a shot at the cup next year, which is swell, but I think we've shown this year that it isn't really viable. Injuries are only one problem we've had.

But why cut a man's career short if he is still capable of performing at the top level.

For the greater good? I think we'll be better set for a flag push in the next, say, 5 years with more footy in Lycett than Coxy. Just my opinion.

Knee cap Cox and we'll see Lycett develop much quicker. Similarly a reversal of roles would see Cox output fall dramatically.

For the greater good? I think we'll be better set for a flag push in the next, say, 5 years with more footy in Lycett than Coxy. Just my opinion.

I know, I know. I guess I really want to see an Eagle hit 300 and I don't want us to do to what Melbourne did to their vets. At the same time I don't want us to be too old and frail. Surely we could guarantee Lycett more games next season either as a forward against some teams and play all three or by resting NicNat and Cox against the lesser likes. Cox shouldn't be travelling to Sydney to or Queensland period. At the same time we should always be about winning premierships now and not in 5 years (otherwise we will end up with a 30 year history like Richmond), so if Cox is our best bet he is the man to play on. We must remember if Cox plays 2 more seasons Lycett will be what 23 and absolutely fresh and rearing to go for 2016.

I know, I know. I guess I really want to see an Eagle hit 300 and I don't want us to do to what Melbourne did to their vets. At the same time I don't want us to be too old and frail. Surely we could guarantee Lycett more games next season either as a forward against some teams and play all three or by resting NicNat and Cox against the lesser likes. Cox shouldn't be travelling to Sydney to or Queensland period. At the same time we should always be about winning premierships now and not in 5 years (otherwise we will end up with a 30 year history like Richmond), so if Cox is our best bet he is the man to play on. We must remember if Cox plays 2 more seasons Lycett will be what 23 and absolutely fresh and rearing to go for 2016.

I don't think he willl. He's on 270 now, by the end of this year he will be 273, that leaves 27 games. He'd have to play every game next year and we'd have to finish 5th-6th and play every game of the finals for him to get there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tbh Cox isn't playing all that well any more anyway I would rather see him in the forward line than in the ruck as Lycett is already showing more promise there. Cox can't even jump any more

He isn't playing at the level we are used to of him but he is still better than 80% of ruckmen. If he doesn't come back fat next season theres no reason he can't reach the heights of last season. He will more than likely spend the majority of games in the goal square, will teams put their tallest (usually best or second best) defender on him at let JK and King run rampant on second stringers or will they put their third defender who gives up a head and a half? He will be getting marks like no tomorrow, bringing it to ground or a tonne of free kicks because defenders will be scragging him to spoil it. We should reassess at the end of next season but if he is still playing good footy theres no reason he shouldn't play next season. Even if he isn't our second best ruckman by the end of next year, theres no reason we can't give him a limited role in 2015 and get him too 300, telling him that Lycett is probably going to be the number 2 but we will get you to 300 and your our 3rd in line.

He isn't playing at the level we are used to of him but he is still better than 80% of ruckmen. If he doesn't come back fat next season theres no reason he can't reach the heights of last season. He will more than likely spend the majority of games in the goal square, will teams put their tallest (usually best or second best) defender on him at let JK and King run rampant on second stringers or will they put their third defender who gives up a head and a half? He will be getting marks like no tomorrow, bringing it to ground or a tonne of free kicks because defenders will be scragging him to spoil it. We should reassess at the end of next season but if he is still playing good footy theres no reason he shouldn't play next season. Even if he isn't our second best ruckman by the end of next year, theres no reason we can't give him a limited role in 2015 and get him too 300, telling him that Lycett is probably going to be the number 2 but we will get you to 300 and your our 3rd in line.

Hasn't been as potent up forward this year.
Though I think that might have something to do with Naitanui spending time on the sidelines and our midfield being pretty rubbish.

He was superb and it almost seemed like he was embarrassed about the performances of other players and was trying to make up for it. A good pre-season and a lot of rest in to him and he can go another two or three seasons. I reckon he'd make a superb ruck coach as well.

I know, I know. I guess I really want to see an Eagle hit 300 and I don't want us to do to what Melbourne did to their vets. At the same time I don't want us to be too old and frail.
Frail? It's like you're talking about geriatrics.

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion Cox...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back