Coach Craig McRae

Remove this Banner Ad

Agree the players love him.
The rest, that’s your opinion.

Sociopaths also don’t show emotion. Just saying. (And before anyone comes at me, no I am not saying Fly is a sociopath).

Coaches losing their shit did nothing 30 years ago. Most of the time it was just laughed about afterwards, Shane Strempel excepted.

Now, it is more likely to “lose the players” as the precious petals won’t cop it.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Coaches losing their shit did nothing 30 years ago. Most of the time it was just laughed about afterwards, Shane Strempel excepted.

Now, it is more likely to “lose the players” as the precious petals won’t cop it.

Leigh Matthews
Ron Barrassi

Two immediately come to mind. Successful coaches. Would give big sprays to the players.

Players would be dragged to the bench if they stepped out of line. It did used to work.

But you’re right to say precious petals won’t cop it. No one can take criticism now. Every kid gets a ribbon stuff.

Leigh Matthews
Ron Barrassi

Two immediately come to mind. Successful coaches. Would give big sprays to the players.

Players would be dragged to the bench if they stepped out of line. It did used to work.

But you’re right to say precious petals won’t cop it. No one can take criticism now. Every kid gets a ribbon stuff.

Mick Malthouse says hi

Sent from my iPad using BigFooty.com

An opponent? Killed last week with uncontested marks/possessions and it was the same last night.

Man-on-man football isn’t our natural game style. Never has been under Fly.

If the opposition want to play kick-to-kick in their defensive line - If we’re ahead we let them pad out their stats out as much as they like. If we’re behind then we’re forced to man up. But it has to start from a stable state - you can’t just have 18 individuals on the field deciding in their own free time when to man up and when not to - our defensive structures would collapse if we did that. So what we do is start with our standard defensive structure, and when that’s stable the players on the first lines start manning up, and then those behind fall in place.

What didn’t work so well last night was our ability to hold our defensive structures together. Plus getting smashed at centre clearances. And we could have done a bit better at taking our opportunities.

Leigh Matthews
Ron Barrassi

Coach addresses are overrated in terms of effect. The greatest address of all time, Kennedy’s “Do Something” turned about a 6 goal deficit into a 10 goal loss.

Agree the players love him.
The rest, that’s your opinion.

Sociopaths also don’t show emotion. Just saying. (And before anyone comes at me, no I am not saying Fly is a sociopath).

That adults respect emotional self control is more than opinion

It is grounded in psychology and adult learning

Core training for both modern psychology and teaching professions

Emotional self control is also a foundation of adaptive intelligence - which is where the field of intelligence research has arrived for work life

And sociopaths often display uncontrolled emotion - it is part of the condition of an antisocial personality disorder (source DSM 5)

This is my thing

His positivity is great, but at what point is it just empty words?

“We’re not standing still” and “You wouldn’t know if we won or lost” and “Get better every day” become empty words when we’re consistently losing and not actually improving on glaring issues week to week

That’s the joy of Fly

He can deal with complexity without regressing to panic and learned helplessness

That’s what leaders do

Can you imagine the breach of trust with the players if Fly became a frother?
Yeah, but the mouth breather fans would love it.

We could also introduce the stocks for players requiring extra punishment.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is my thing

His positivity is great, but at what point is it just empty words?

“We’re not standing still” and “You wouldn’t know if we won or lost” and “Get better every day” become empty words when we’re consistently losing and not actually improving on glaring issues week to week
Every Coach does the same thing - so get used to it.

I believe Fly has a teaching background.

Kids sum up a teacher very quickly, and it’s often based on whether the teacher yells or not.

Yelling at people, both big and small, does not get results.

Fly is serious about the environment he creates for players at Collingwood. And that won’t change no matter how many games we lose.

Every Coach does the same thing - so get used to it.

Not sure "we just need to grow the f**k up" would classify as empty words to be fair.

I think yourself and a couple of the other usual suspects in here are actually misunderstanding or misconstruing the discussion that's actually going on.

I'm not really seeing criticism of Fly at all. I have however seen a questioning of methodology and a questioning of how much "traditional" hands on coaching he does.

I'm starting to get the sense he's almost more NFL coach than AFL coach in terms of delegation and responsibility. Which is obviously something most AFL fans wouldn't be used to, hence much of the confusion around our current plight. For two seasons we saw a team that was quite clearly playing with a drive and passion that represented a love for their coach. A willingness to run and pressure that last would for the majority of a four quarter match.

The fact that we're no longer seeing that is what would be confusing a lot of people and making them wonder what is happening behind the scenes and wonder maybe where a lot of the more hands on stuff was happening. Was it with Fly? Or was it actually with Leppa and Bolts and now with Leppa and Bolts no longer in the assistant roles, it might explain the drop off

Not sure "we just need to grow the f**k up" would classify as empty words to be fair.

I think yourself and a couple of the other usual suspects in here are actually misunderstanding or misconstruing the discussion that's actually going on.

I'm not really seeing criticism of Fly at all. I have however seen a questioning of methodology and a questioning of how much "traditional" hands on coaching he does.

I'm starting to get the sense he's almost more NFL coach than AFL coach in terms of delegation and responsibility. Which is obviously something most AFL fans wouldn't be used to, hence much of the confusion around our current plight. For two seasons we saw a team that was quite clearly playing with a drive and passion that represented a love for their coach. A willingness to run and pressure that last would for the majority of a four quarter match.

The fact that we're no longer seeing that is what would be confusing a lot of people and making them wonder what is happening behind the scenes and wonder maybe where a lot of the more hands on stuff was happening. Was it with Fly? Or was it actually with Leppa and Bolts and now with Leppa and Bolts no longer in the assistant roles, it might explain the drop off
Buckley mark 2 you say?
It’s all about the assistant coaches. They are the real heroes.

I'm not really seeing criticism of Fly at all.
I am critical of him this year. Doesn't make good in game decisions or too late if any at all.

;)Bring it on... .

Buckley mark 2 you say?
It’s all about the assistant coaches. They are the real heroes.

No, you're doing that thing you do where you get yourself in a tizzy and talk stupid shit because it's me you're replying to.

I attributed 2018 to Longmuir because there was logical evidence to suggest that he was clearly the main driver behind that push.

Anyone choosing not to see that either just has blind love for Buckley as a coach or probably doesn't have the critical thinking capability to have a real discussion about the topic. Again, I've said numerous times that I do like to credit assistants more than most do.

That goes for Leppa and Bolts too. Who are both people I have credited during our last two seasons as well.

Again, if you look at what has changed from a coaching perspective between last year and this year, it's the removal of Leppa and Bolts from their assistant roles. Which again, is why I've merely questioned whether that is playing a role.

I don't have a decade of decline and exodus of Premiership players like we did under Buckley to give us a clear indication that he had next to nothing to do with why we made that Grand Final and Prelim. We only have two and a bit seasons and this season is one marred not only by injury but also by our Football Manager not being around. That could also be playing a role. The sample size isn't enough to be definitive about it.

No, you're doing that thing you do where you get yourself in a tizzy and talk stupid shit because it's me you're replying to.

I attributed 2018 to Longmuir because there was logical evidence to suggest that he was clearly the main driver behind that push.

Anyone choosing not to see that either just has blind love for Buckley as a coach or probably doesn't have the critical thinking capability to have a real discussion about the topic. Again, I've said numerous times that I do like to credit assistants more than most do.

That goes for Leppa and Bolts too. Who are both people I have credited during our last two seasons as well.

Again, if you look at what has changed from a coaching perspective between last year and this year, it's the removal of Leppa and Bolts from their assistant roles. Which again, is why I've merely questioned whether that is playing a role.

I don't have a decade of decline and exodus of Premiership players like we did under Buckley to give us a clear indication that he had next to nothing to do with why we made that Grand Final and Prelim. We only have two and a bit seasons and this season is one marred not only by injury but also by our Football Manager not being around. That could also be playing a role. The sample size isn't enough.
Too many words.

You’re chasing shadows, just like last year before the finals. When all was lost, we were finished and no chance to win the flag in 2023.
We all know how those predictions ended.

Remove this Banner Ad

Coach Craig McRae

Remove this Banner Ad

Back