Coach Craig McRae

Remove this Banner Ad

McRae interview.
He keeps saying about how we want to play. What if the opposition takes that away from you? What is option 2?

I don't get him saying that 'if you walk into the club on a Monday, you wouldn't know if we won or lost'! I don't get this, for me it would hurt, disappointment.

it means we are process driven
the logic is that it produces better outcomes, because it focuses on pulling the levers that you can control that influence outcomes, rather than being outcomes driven which can be abstract and result in unfocused actions that dont produce the outcomes you want

I don't get him saying that 'if you walk into the club on a Monday, you wouldn't know if we won or lost'! I don't get this, for me it would hurt, disappointment.

When they go into the club Monday, their focus is (1) to be better than last week (irrespective of the result) and (2) to win on the coming weekend.

Last week has gone. The only consequence of the last game is to provide a framework to review and get better (irrespective of win, lose or draw)

Yes. It will help angry fans feel better knowing that the players are being punished for having the temerity to lose games of football.

But will it help the players play better? Nah, not at all. But that’s not the point.

Maybe Quaynor didn't go down the slide enough at Wet n Wild.

I think Fly was and still is a wonderful player manager and coach. I hope his desire to be a winner overrides loyalty.

This form slump, inability to play four quarters rests with the players. The leadership group needs to lead the way.

Third season under McRae is definitely the worst now.

At round 17 in 22, we had won 11 and lost 5 for 44 points and a percentage of 106.3
We finished with 16 win and 6 losses

At round 17 last year, we had won 14 and only lost 2 for 56 points and a percentage of 137.1
We finished 18 wins and 5 losses (extra game added for gather round)

This year, it’s only 8 wins, already 6 losses and 2 draws (so it’s like 9 wins 7 losses)

Even if we pull off some miracle and win every game for the rest of the year, we’ll be one win less than 2022.

Realistically I see us winning 3 max of the remaining games.

Disappointing to now officially be at a point we can’t even match 2022.

Third season under McRae is definitely the worst now.

At round 17 in 22, we had won 11 and lost 5 for 44 points and a percentage of 106.3
We finished with 16 win and 6 losses

At round 17 last year, we had won 14 and only lost 2 for 56 points and a percentage of 137.1
We finished 18 wins and 5 losses (extra game added for gather round)

This year, it’s only 8 wins, already 6 losses and 2 draws (so it’s like 9 wins 7 losses)

Even if we pull off some miracle and win every game for the rest of the year, we’ll be one win less than 2022.

Realistically I see us winning 3 max of the remaining games.

Disappointing to now officially be at a point we can’t even match 2022.
Tbf, there are almost a dozen teams in almost the same position at round 17. This season has been an anomaly as far as how many 'wins' teams have chalked up at this time of the season & the evenness of those clubs.

Many have had a run of poor form spanning 2-4 weeks, then a run of good form for 2-4 weeks..putting all of them in relatively the same position.

Combine all that with our injury list all year, it's probably not a fair comparison to the previous 2 years.

He knows. We know too. So does everybody who has watched us this year. We haven't played well often enough. It's a combination of things for sure, but the elephant in the room which McRae won't acknowledge and it's fair enough, is injuries. All coaches talk about process and players coming in and playing their roles, but no team, no matter how talented, could withstand the injury list we've had this year.

With most of top group on the field, we have matched with everybody, except Sydney I guess, but sometimes shit happens and you've go to look for the silver lining. Blooding so many new players will stand us in good stead moving forward, but 2024 is sadly, done and dusted.

Last edited:
Tbf, there are almost a dozen teams in almost the same position at round 17. This season has been an anomaly as far as how many 'wins' teams have chalked up at this time of the season & the evenness of those clubs.

Many have had a run of poor form spanning 2-4 weeks, then a run of good form for 2-4 weeks..putting all of them in relatively the same position.

Combine all that with our injury list all year, it's probably not a fair comparison to the previous 2 years.
I get that.

Easy to forget last year was pretty plagued with injuries too.

Lipinski in the practice match
Howe in round 1
Cox in round 2
Cameron in round 3
McStay round 5 or 6?
These were all long term injuries

Murphy was out with concussion after gather round.

Elliott was out for weeks around the mid season bye
Steele out in his 300th

Degoey was suspended for 3 weeks.

We lost Nick for 6 weeks or whatever it was.
Taylor Adams injured
Dan McStay injured in the prelim

I’m probably forgetting some

Edit:
Lost WHE for a couple of weeks with a hand injury.
Degoey was out late in the season
Darcy Moore did his hammy

I’d say last year was actually pretty bad too, but we were a lot better and overcame the injury woes.

There’s no doubt there’s a not so insignificant decline on the previous two seasons now.

Last edited:
I get that.

Howe in round 1
Cox in round 2
Cameron in round 3
McStay round 5 or 6?

Steele out in his 300th

Taylor Adams injured

I’d say last year was actually pretty bad too, but we were a lot better and overcame the injury woes.

There’s no doubt there’s a not so insignificant decline on the previous two seasons now.
We did have a lot of our injuries too last year, but it seemed to be 1 at a time, which we could cover.. this year it's like 2-4 each week. We just get a couple back & lose a different couple. And majority seem to be at least 4-6 weeks.

Anyway, the silver lining is we got to see more of our young kids, who have had a few consecutive games under their belt. They'll be even better for it next year with another preseason.

I get that.

Howe in round 1
Cox in round 2
Cameron in round 3
McStay round 5 or 6?

Steele out in his 300th

Taylor Adams injured

Edit:

True, this is why I’m so glad we were able to get the flag in the end despite all the obstacles we were up against…..The difference is this year despite the horror injury run we just don’t look hungry enough to want to contend again….it’s as if their content with the 1 flag. A lot of players have also regressed this year too.

Sent from my iPad using BigFooty.com

I get that.

Howe in round 1
Cox in round 2
Cameron in round 3
McStay round 5 or 6?

Steele out in his 300th

Taylor Adams injured

Edit:

Nice post.
I'm sick of hearing the injury excuse.

Plenty of other teams have had some big injury lists too this year.

The real reasons we are where we are:
1. We've been well and truly worked out, 2. our defense has leaked like a sieve.
3. our effort and desire is not at the same level,
4. too many key players have had down years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He knows. We know too. So does everybody who has watched us this year. We haven't played well often enough. It's a combination of things for sure, but the elephant in the room which McRae won't acknowledge and it's fair enough, is injuries. All coaches talk about process and players coming in and playing their roles, but no team, no matter how talented, could withstand the injury list we've had this year.

With most of top group on the field, we have matched with everybody, except Sydney I guess, but sometimes shit happens and you've go to look for the silver lining. Blooding so many new players will stand us in god stead moving forward, but 2024 is sadly, done and dusted.

You have beautifully summed it up.

Fly will be feeling it from the media this week. It's time to batten down the hatches, stick tight and ride all the negativity that will come our way this week. I personally wont be listening to or watching anything football related this week, until Friday night....

The club will read out the game review thread to the playing group. They learn so much from us.

Nice post.
I'm sick of hearing the injury excuse.

Plenty of other teams have had some big injury lists too this year.

The real reasons we are where we are:
1. We've been well and truly worked out, 2. our defense has leaked like a sieve.
3. our effort and desire is not at the same level,
4. too many key players have had down years.

Injuries to key personnel and a drop in effort have hurt this year. Both can be true, they are not mutually exclusive.

When "ON", the Pies have still looked second to none, but they haven't played well enough for long enough during games.

If Leppitsch and Bolton are still on board next season I hope we can convince them to go back to being line coaches.

While injury, attitude and an aging midfield is a major part of our up and down season it's hard not to think moving out our two most credentialed assistants from roles that helped propel us all the way to a Prelim and then Flag isn't playing some part.

While I can appreciate the reasoning behind it in reality we didn't target them for the revamped roles they're occupying this season.

Hopefully Wright isn't going to do us dirty when he returns either.

I would not be surprised if Wrighty takes a position with the Tasmanian consortium....

Injuries to key personnel and a drop in effort have hurt this year. Both can be true, they are not mutually exclusive.

When "ON", the Pies have still looked second to none, but they haven't played well enough for long enough during games.
Did not suggest they were "mutually exclusive" did I?. Injuries are a given. All teams have injuries. Injuries are an excuse.
As the post I responded to pointed out...we had a similar injury profile to key players last year....injuries are not the reason for our form decline.

Did not suggest they were "mutually exclusive" did I?. Injuries are a given. All teams have injuries. Injuries are an excuse.
As the post I responded to pointed out...we had a similar injury profile to key players last year....injuries are not the reason for our form decline.
It’s not injuries, it’s the amount and where. We are missing our two KPF, our ruck forward, Elliot who’s the next best aerial threat. Add to that the others including we didn’t have a midfield with Pendles, Degoey and Mitchell out. You can cover a spread of injured but when they are concentrated it becomes harder. Our forward line has been decimated for most of the year.

How would Carlton go without just their two KPF playing?

Will not single injuries out as the only reason for the team's drop but it's not "an excuse". Each team can cover some injuries to personnel, but no team can cover any amount.

Last year's injuries were difficult to cover but we did not have to blood 9 debutants.

Yep
If Pendles was to return as coach one day, I’d first like him to assist at:
  • interstate club
  • vic powerhouse
  • vic minnow
Give him a complete understanding of not only how to coach diff players / diff systems and diff environments, but also about understanding players both from a welfare perspective as well as $$ one
I'm betting he goes to the cattery.

What McRae managed with our list in his first two years was miraculous. An incredible ride.

Injuries have stretched things, exposed the list, which will take some time to turn around.

The intensity with which we played in 2022-2023 papered over a few issues. It doesn't surprise me that we haven't been able to match it.

We'll still have some good moments this year, next year etc.

With most of top group on the field, we have matched with everybody, except Sydney I guess, but sometimes shit happens and you've go to look for the silver lining. Blooding so many new players will stand us in god stead moving forward, but 2024 is sadly, done and dusted.
It's not quite done and dusted. If we win next week and jump back into the eight it is absolutely alive and we are one week closer to getting Cox, Mcstay and Mitchell back into the team.

Remove this Banner Ad

Coach Craig McRae

Remove this Banner Ad

Back