Coach Craig McRae

Remove this Banner Ad

For what it’s worth can someone confirm fly saying he didn’t want to be a long term coach??? It’s quite telling…. Does that mean when sh1t starts hitting the fan like it has this year and if we don’t bounce back next year, he’ll call it quits and move on?

Sent from my iPad using BigFooty.com

For what it’s worth can someone confirm fly saying he didn’t want to be a long term coach??? It’s quite telling…. Does that mean when sh1t starts hitting the fan like it has this year and if we don’t bounce back next year, he’ll call it quits and move on?

He could do

Fly saying he doesn't want to be a long term coach is self explanatory.

He's just as likely to move on after another premiership.

I think he just said this wasn’t forever. Think you might be worrying too much. Will he be here as long as Bucks and MM possibly not. Doesn’t seem like a person who cuts and runs when things get hard.

I think there is a limit on what assistants can be paid. There’s been some recent negative coverage of it, with clubs having very limited scope to pay them more. It’s why we gave Bolton and Leppa different roles and titles this year.

The only limitation is the soft cap. It's the 75% (I think from memory) tax that exceeding the cap brings that makes it unpalatable for clubs. I doubt Fly is at the top of the senior coaching pecking order in terms of salary so that'd free a little extra to spread across the rest of the FD.

Wasn't the recent message from the club that they'll be less cautious with the soft cap going forward?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fin Macrae is better than Long and doesn’t get a game….let’s be real

VFL performances when they've lined up side by side in the midfield tell a different story. Long the better extractor, Macrae the better transitional link player.

The only limitation is the soft cap. It's the 75% (I think from memory) tax that exceeding the cap brings that makes it unpalatable for clubs. I doubt Fly is at the top of the senior coaching pecking order in terms of salary so that'd free a little extra to spread across the rest of the FD.

Wasn't the recent message from the club that they'll be less cautious with the soft cap going forward?

Not sure about the club and its view of the soft cap, but I thought the AFL introduced a cap on assistants’ salaries during the Covid restrictions. I may have that wrong, but there was an article earlier this year on the financial struggles of one (more?) Swans’ assistant who was living in a mobile home while his family stayed back in his home city. The issue being his relatively low salary and inability to afford Sydney rents on top of his family’s housing. Sounds crazy I know.

Anyway, this discussion started because of Bolton and Leppitsch being moved from line coaching into more senior positions at the club, in order to pay them more (I.e. more than assistant coaches) and keep competitors at arms length.

Not sure about the club and its view of the soft cap, but I thought the AFL introduced a cap on assistants’ salaries during the Covid restrictions. I may have that wrong, but there was an article earlier this year on the financial struggles of one (more?) Swans’ assistant who was living in a mobile home while his family stayed back in his home city. The issue being his relatively low salary and inability to afford Sydney rents on top of his family’s housing. Sounds crazy I know.

Anyway, this discussion started because of Bolton and Leppitsch being moved from line coaching into more senior positions at the club, in order to pay them more (I.e. more than assistant coaches) and keep competitors at arms length.
Do you think that tactic has been successful?

The soft cap was cut which subsequently impacted the entire FD. Been largely restored since afaik. Clubs retained the capacity to spend above the cap even during Covid. There was a statement by either Browne or Kelly effectively stating they’d be prepared to exceed the cap not that long ago. I’m sure we’ll hear when they do.

Not sure on the salary situations for either Leppa or Bolts but I’d have thought their new roles would still be encapsulated under the FD cap.

The football department went to the board and requested extra budget. The board approved an additional $500k above the cap and said that we’d pay the tax.

After the jostling for position at the start of the year, I reckon the chances of retaining Leppitch, Bolton and Wright together is nil.
It’s a question of who gets the offer they can’t refuse.

Selwood and Skipworth have been there a while now. I know they are well regarded, but it may be time for a fresh voice.
Roughead’s had a hard time as defensive coach given personnel missing, but his results on field have been disappointing.

(1) He has never at any stage said that he wouldn’t honour his contract. The club have no obligations to him beyond his contract, why would he have any obligations to the club beyond his contract?

(2) Yeah, he did say that he didn’t t see himself as a long term coach. It’s an all consuming job (we couldn’t begin to imagine!) and he’s got a young family and he wants to be a present Dad. He’s been consistent all along that family is the most important thing - surely we have to respect that?

(3) Senior Coaching would have to be the most miserable job. Win and your players get the accolades. Lose and the fans in the stand reckon you’re a dud because you dropped a player who behind the scenes got busted taking Cocaine last week, and another who hasn’t been the same since his long term girlfriend broke up with him, and another who had to go to his grandmother’s funeral.

All coaching jobs are a pressure cooker, but the coach of Collingwood would have to be the worst by far. In my lifetime there has only been one coach who didn’t leave the club as a broken person.

The football department went to the board and requested extra budget. The board approved an additional $500k above the cap and said that we’d pay the tax.

After the jostling for position at the start of the year, I reckon the chances of retaining Leppitch, Bolton and Wright together is nil.
It’s a question of who gets the offer they can’t refuse.

Selwood and Skipworth have been there a while now. I know they are well regarded, but it may be time for a fresh voice.
Roughead’s had a hard time as defensive coach given personnel missing, but his results on field have been disappointing.

I’d imagine that there’s a decent chance that the AFL will lift the soft cap after this season so if the assistants / Wright want to stay (and we want them to stay) then we might be able to afford it.

I’d imagine that there’s a decent chance that the AFL will lift the soft cap after this season so if the assistants / Wright want to stay (and we want them to stay) then we might be able to afford it.

Why are we bothered by a soft cap? Just go get and aim to employ the best and pay the tax. If we are lacking in one area then bolster that area.

I think it’s about the egos as well as the money.

Remove this Banner Ad

Coach Craig McRae

Remove this Banner Ad

Back