Coach Craig McRae

Remove this Banner Ad

All coaching jobs are a pressure cooker, but the coach of Collingwood would have to be the worst by far. In my lifetime there has only been one coach who didn’t leave the club as a broken person.
Quality piece of hyperbole. Coach the Eagles or Crows and you get on the front page as well as the back. Trying to work out who didn't break.

Trying to work out who didn't break.

Leigh Matthews left the joint on his own terms and never looked back.

Coach the Eagles or Crows and you get on the front page as well as the back.

Fair point.

But I think Simpson got a lot more love from the Eagles supporter base than a Collingwood coach in the same circumstances would have.

Leigh Matthews left the joint on his own terms and never looked back.

Fair point.

But I think Simpson got a lot more love from the Eagles supporter base than a Collingwood coach in the same circumstances would have.
So every other Pies coach of the last 50 years left the club a broken man? What a load of shit.

(1) He has never at any stage said that he wouldn’t honour his contract. The club have no obligations to him beyond his contract, why would he have any obligations to the club beyond his contract?

(2) Yeah, he did say that he didn’t t see himself as a long term coach. It’s an all consuming job (we couldn’t begin to imagine!) and he’s got a young family and he wants to be a present Dad. He’s been consistent all along that family is the most important thing - surely we have to respect that?

(3) Senior Coaching would have to be the most miserable job. Win and your players get the accolades. Lose and the fans in the stand reckon you’re a dud because you dropped a player who behind the scenes got busted taking Cocaine last week, and another who hasn’t been the same since his long term girlfriend broke up with him, and another who had to go to his grandmother’s funeral.

All coaching jobs are a pressure cooker, but the coach of Collingwood would have to be the worst by far. In my lifetime there has only been one coach who didn’t leave the club as a broken person.
Quick summary of emotional state of departing coaches in last 50 years:
Weideman - pretty casual didn't really care
Hafey - coached 2 ? other teams
Erwin - in and out
Cahill - glad to go back to SA
Rose - happy to hand over to Matthews
Matthews - not terribly emotional
Shaw - northern suburbs hard arse - still loves Pies
MM - probably had the shits
NCB - seems to have moved on

Cheers

Quick summary of emotional state of departing coaches in last 50 years:
Weideman - pretty casual didn't really care

The bloke was pilloried for getting us to our first wooden spoon. But yeah, still remained a proud Collingwood man.

Hafey - coached 2 ? other teams

Was never again the coach who got his teams to 8 grand finals (winning 4). Wasn’t too pleased with how he was let go at Collingwood.

Erwin - in and out

Caretaker

Cahill - glad to go back to SA

Agree

Rose - happy to hand over to Matthews

Caretaker

Matthews - not terribly emotional

Agree. Flourished after he left Collingwood.

Shaw - northern suburbs hard arse - still loves Pies

Never went back into clubland despite having a lot to offer the game?

MM - probably had the shits

Only “Probably”? 🤣

NCB - seems to have moved on

Three years on still politely batting away any suggestion of going back into clubland. He’d be an asset to most clubs (not necessarily as Senior Coach) but content with his cushy media gig.

The bloke was pilloried for getting us to our first wooden spoon. But yeah, still remained a proud Collingwood man.

Was never again the coach who got his teams to 8 grand finals (winning 4). Wasn’t too pleased with how he was let go at Collingwood.

Caretaker

Agree

Caretaker

Only “Probably”? 🤣

Three years on still politely batting away any suggestion of going back into clubland. He’d be an asset to most clubs (not necessarily as Senior Coach) but content with his cushy media gig.
So none "broken"?

Caretaker

Agree

Caretaker

Only “Probably”? 🤣

Pissed off isn't broken.

Pissed off isn't broken.
Reckon T Shirt Tom was broken after his stint with us. Looking back it was a strange period for the club
Other old timers will recall that long prior to Tom having his heart broken by the Tigers and coming over, the mighty Des Tuddenham, a fitness fanatic, told the club we weren’t fit and asked to take over training the players. The club refused. When Tom took over, he being a fitness fanatic as well, got the players fit which had an immediate impact on performance The reason we didn’t recruit the great Bernie Quinlan, who was really keen to come over, was due to the club having previously recruited a multitude of high priced duds in seeking that elusive premiership. It made the terrible decision not to recruit Bernie without giving it any other thought. Bernie was a bona fide star of the competition and went on to have an amazing career at the lions. Forget carman rubbed out in the 77 gf. With Bernie we likely would have won easily. Notwithstanding, the week after the drawn gf, Tom trained them hard while the devil barrassi gave north an easy week on the track The rest is history. Mind you, always thought it unfair that carman got rubbed out for punching tuck, while in the drawn gf, baker, breidis and Keenan, all should have been reported and suspended for striking in the drawn gf

....The reason we didn’t recruit the great Bernie Quinlan, who was really keen to come over, was due to the club having previously recruited a multitude of high priced duds...
Who was the "multitude of high priced duds"? (This was before the salary cap).

I think we failed to get Quinlan because of a simple stuff up re who was to meet him to clinch the deal and where that meeting was to take place

PS - WhItE SpAcE 😃

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Your original post mentioned "high priced duds" - who were they?

Bisset, Kekovich, and Sandilands the only potential candidates that come to mind prior to the potential Quinlan trade. Pretty sure others like Allan Davis, Edwards, and Irwin came later.

No salary cap back then so wasn’t an issue. One of the very worst was a bloke I think named young from Sydney. Paid a bomb for him and never played a game because of his arthritic ankles. My word we were taken advantage of

Kinnear? I believe you are quite correct. They scammed us big time.

Kinnear? I believe you are quite correct. They scammed us big time.
They did scam us on Kinnear, he was never going to play and Sydney knew that, but the deal still worked in our favour as we drafted Leon Davis with the pick they threw in.
Schauble was a loss, but I’d swap him for Leon every day of the week.

Remove this Banner Ad

Coach Craig McRae

Remove this Banner Ad

Back