Coach Craig McRae

Remove this Banner Ad

Longmire only gave Cleary 7%tog (about 4 minutes). Clearly both coaches thought their starting 22 were best placed to get the job done. But of course you know better than both.
Swans were coming home like a house on fire, why change that?

Richards was unlikely to do anything in the 40 seconds he was on.

I believe it was an error on the coach. Not sure why defend that.

Swans were coming home like a house on fire, why change that?

Richards was unlikely to do anything in the 40 seconds he was on.

I believe it was an error on the coach. Not sure why defend that.

His record is much better than that of BF posters. I’d much rather believe he knew how best to manage closing out the game and as evidence to support that, we created the opportunities to do exactly that, we just didn’t take them. I’m more than happy for people to offer their opinions, but none of them make McRae wrong or his decision an error, just as mine doesn’t make him right.

In your mind a coach can never make a mistake so not much point having rational or logical conversations with such a mind.

They can make lots of decisions I disagree with, just as selectors can. The difference between us is that I don’t think I’m right just because I disagree with them. I’ll leave it there.

In your mind a coach can never make a mistake so not much point having rational or logical conversations with such a mind.

Coaches don’t make mistakes.

They make judgement calls in the moment based on a tonne more data than you or I have access to, and they draw on a far far higher evolved gut feeling and more experience than any of us have access to. They take a very large series of calculated risks. When those risks pay off we celebrate. When they don’t pay off us punters reckon the coach is a mug and (with the benefit of hindsight) he shoulda done something different.

Disagree. I think he’s performed miracles given our injury issues and the constant disruption to the team. Richmond with similar injury issues have only managed 2 wins.
Agree. We've only been smashed by one side this year despite all our injuries. And that side, the Hawks, currently look like they are capable of smashing most sides.

They make judgement calls in the moment based on a tonne more data than you or I have access to, and they draw on a far far higher evolved gut feeling and more experience than any of us have access to. They take a very large series of calculated risks. When those risks pay off we celebrate. When they don’t pay off us punters reckon the coach is a mug and (with the benefit of hindsight) he shoulda done something different.

This may shock you but coaches are actually just humans, and humans most certainly do make mistakes.

Evidence that Senior Coaching is a brutal caper …

Here’s Fly at his announcement press conference, all baby faced and full of energy and vigour …

IMG_0788.png

And here he is at his presser after the Swans game, not even 3 years later. Despite the unexpected success of a Prelim and a Premiership, he is visibly older, has bags under his eyes, and is irritable and frustrated …

IMG_0789.png

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Here’s Fly at his announcement press conference, all baby faced and full of energy and vigour …

View attachment 2076545

And here he is at his presser after the Swans game, not even 3 years later. Despite the unexpected success of a Prelim and a Premiership, he is visibly older, has bags under his eyes, and is irritable and frustrated …

View attachment 2076547
Yes,he’s aged in the last three years.But he still looks pretty youthful for a man of his age to me at least.

View attachment 2076545

View attachment 2076547
He's had a baby in that time too... Can't be all our fault 🤪

Do you mind if I email that to Carlton football club for Vossy to use?

Do medical staff make mistakes? Maybe I can add that as well prior to sending.

View attachment 2076545

View attachment 2076547

Not trying to put the club down here and would love him at my club but Fly did say during pre-season that he was unsure how long he'll be a senior coach and was really hesitant to not be a senior coach for 15 years.

Now obviously this can change (with any job) when results or performance are more positive and he is also still contracted til 2026 so time can change but one makes me wonder if results don't go as planned, Fly might leave earlier than most expected cause he is a realist and if the caper is impacting him and his life, he would probably sacrifice himself for the betterment of the club.

Again, not trying to cause any rumours against your club and hopefully you have a positive end of your season but just found that quote quite interesting earlier this year and seeing those pics shows how draining it can be to become a professional sporting coach, especially one that truly cares for his players like Fly does.

Not trying to put the club down here and would love him at my club but Fly did say during pre-season that he was unsure how long he'll be a senior coach and was really hesitant to not be a senior coach for 15 years.

Now obviously this can change (with any job) when results or performance are more positive and he is also still contracted til 2026 so time can change but one makes me wonder if results don't go as planned, Fly might leave earlier than most expected cause he is a realist and if the caper is impacting him and his life, he would probably sacrifice himself for the betterment of the club.

Again, not trying to cause any rumours against your club and hopefully you have a positive end of your season but just found that quote quite interesting earlier this year and seeing those pics shows how draining it can be to become a professional sporting coach, especially one that truly cares for his players like Fly does.
All good, it’s been raised by us (myself included).

All good, it’s been raised by us (myself included).
Thanks, would love Fly to be a life coach someday cause he obviously cares for his players and winning / losing behaviours mantra is much different but much more professional than the statically-gifted coaches out there in Clarkson, Longmire & Scott but that might be cause of his different path in life especially being a teacher beforehand.

One thing that does strike a similar chord to myself (and many others) when playing and coaching sport is how much results can way on him at times cause it wasn't quite anger in his post-match conference but more a hint of external sadness and questioning his own ability, which is weird for a guy who's been really successful in such a short time.

He's a really caring soul Fly and I hope the club supports him for what he has achieved so far in his tenure, even if 2024 hasn't been that positive wonderful year again.

this years defence of the premiereship has been nothing short of calamitous… McRaes inability to get the best out of the players has been an inditement to him and the coaching panel… I fear we have a loser mentality seeping into the club… losers accept the outcome and don’t do anything to change… since the bye it has been all down hill..
I hope he reinvents himself next year and gets the best out of the players as he has once proven….
We still have faith in you McRae !!

Do you mind if I email that to Carlton football club for Vossy to use?

Do medical staff make mistakes? Maybe I can add that as well prior to sending.

Medical mistakes = medical malpractice = law suits. Rarely happens. The concussion class action is potentially one example, can you name any others?

Medical judgement calls that have a probability of success or failure + informed consent. Sometimes it works out, sometimes it doesn’t? This happens kazillions of times, daily. Got a cut finger? Put Betadine and a Band-Aid on it. Oh, no, it got infected. Was a mistake made? No.

Things happen on a footy field that lead to a player getting injured, would you call that a “mistake”? I wouldn’t. Risks are being taken, shit sometimes happens.

Things happen on a footy field that lead to a team losing a game of footy, would you call this a “mistake”? I wouldn’t either. Again, shit sometimes happens …

… but what if that loss appears to be a result of particular actions that I can identify? Can I say that was a mistake? No - I’m an untrained monkey watching on the telly clapping and cheering. WTF would I know about actions that lead to a game of footy being lost? Sure, I can analyse the game. I can convince myself I understand every detailed nuance of the modern HTB ball call which would put me in the top 2 percentile of AFL wonks. But what do I really know? Nada.

And here’s the thing …

… the vast majority of the of the time us untrained monkeys go nuts at something that happens on the footy field, it is in response to something pointed out by the commentators blabbered out by the commentators in a stream of consciousness to fill the silence.

If the commentators hadn’t mentioned Richards coming on at the end, we would have found something else to wring our hands over. If we had won the game (eg: Pendlebury not missing a very straight forward set shot from 30m out) nobody would be complaining about Richards being subbed on with 46s to go.

Last edited:
Medical mistakes = medical malpractice = law suits. Rarely happens. The concussion class action is potentially one example, can you name any others?

Medical judgement calls that have a probability of success or failure + informed consent. Sometimes it works out, sometimes it doesn’t? This happens kazillions of times, daily. Got a cut finger? Put Betadine and a Band-Aid on it. Oh, no, it got infected. Was a mistake made? No.

Things happen on a footy field that lead to a player getting injured, would you call that a “mistake”? I wouldn’t. Risks are being taken, shit sometimes happens.

Things happen on a footy field that lead to a team losing a game of footy, would you call this a “mistake”? I wouldn’t either. Again, shit sometimes happens …

… but what if that loss appears to be a result of particular actions that I can identify? Can I say that was a mistake? No - I’m an untrained monkey watching on the telly clapping and cheering. WTF would I know about actions that lead to a game of footy being lost? Sure, I can analyse the game. I can convince myself I understand every detailed nuance of the modern HTB ball call which would put me in the top 2 percentile of AFL wonks. But what do I really know? Nada.

Maybe you’re Chris Scott’s Bigfooty account and would do things differently? Dunno. But chances are you’re just like me - an untrained monkey clapping in the stands with NFI how a game of footy really is won or lost.

And here’s the thing …

… the vast majority of the of the time us untrained monkeys go nuts at something that happens on the footy field, it is in response to something pointed out by the commentators blabbered out by the commentators in a stream of consciousness to fill the silence.

If the commentators hadn’t mentioned Richards coming on at the end, we would have found something else to wring our hands over. If we had won the game (eg: Pendlebury not missing a very straight forward set shot from 30m out) nobody would be complaining about Richards being subbed on with 46s to go.

Didn't the AFL go through a whole drugs scandal with a particular club or did I dream that?

And what about Petracca? Do you think he thinks sure no worries that was just a 'judgement'.

Let's get serious.

Remove this Banner Ad

Coach Craig McRae

Remove this Banner Ad

Back