Coach Craig McRae

Remove this Banner Ad

To issue Craig McRae with a please explain is laughable
Obviously Longmire wants to maintain home umpiring, but besides Collingwood why is McRae being singled out in the media for his comments?

The Scott’s and Hardwick often run their mouth, but don’t cop a media criticism agenda.

We create better headlines.

For the mic drop maybe Fly needed to crack open a Cola in front of everyone.

Longmire would have been best to keep his mouth zipped. He has now made his bed with those comments today.

McRae only answered a question thrown at him by a journo and he answered them honestly.

Don’t have a problem with how it was answered, it wouldn’t of even been a question if it wasn’t the truth of how the match unfolded.

Longmire would have been best to keep his mouth zipped. He has now made his bed with those comments today.

McRae only answered a question thrown at him by a journo and he answered them honestly.

Don’t have a problem with how it was answered, it wouldn’t of even been a question if it wasn’t the truth of how the match unfolded.
Agree. My reading of Fly’s comments post match was that he was simply being honest about all the mixed feelings he was experiencing after the defeat. He was talking about the temptation to take a loser approach in blaming “X” for the defeat. Of course this has been twisted for the purpose of generating a headline and clicks.

It seemed blatantly obvious that the AFL had a Friday crackdown on deliberate out of bounds or insufficient intent whatever the hell it is. Some of them were justified others were ridiculous.
As far as the home ground comment goes Fly was actually reflecting one of the verifiable facts regarding sporting codes and contests around the world, which is that: referees/umpires (probably unconsciously) show a bias toward the home team when awarding penalties.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Obviously Longmire wants to maintain home umpiring, but besides Collingwood why is McRae being singled out in the media for his comments?

The Scott’s and Hardwick often run their mouth, but don’t cop a media criticism agenda.
Most supporters (including the media) are raging hypocrites.

Everyone throughout the season:
“Umpiring is terrible and affecting games”
“AFL treats us like idiots”
“Wish my coach would call it out, I’ll pay the fine”

McRae says the crowd influenced a call or two (which was obvious to anyone with half a brain cell)…
“Great result for football”
“Lol what a sook”
“Hur dur 3000 games at MCG”

Everyone’s biases come out for all to see.

I feel like we win the free kick count more weeks than we dont, am I wrong?

It DEFINITELY can get worse.

I am pretty confident something is going on with the umpires and their ear pieces. They are being coached imo.

Way too many incidents where the umpire miles away is over ruling.

I actually don't care if it gets worse as it will hopefully expose the AFL for what they are. A very petty organisation with an ego problem

I feel like we win the free kick count more weeks than we dont, am I wrong?

It DEFINITELY can get worse.

The 2024 Free Kick Ladder - Round 22​

We have a new leader with Essendon sitting on top thanks to a +60 differential.

The Bombers are clear of Brisbane who hold down second position on +50, while Gold Coast has dropped to third on +49.

Making up the top five is Fremantle on +29 and Carlton on +27.

At the other end, it is Richmond on a massive -85. The Tigers have received the fewest free kicks in 2024 while giving away the equal third most.

Second bottom is GWS on -54, with Geelong on -35, North Melbourne on -15 and both Melbourne and Port Adelaide on -14.

Screen Shot 2024-08-12 at 2.35.27 pm

The Bombers are clear of Brisbane who hold down second position on +50, while Gold Coast has dropped to third on +49.

At the other end, it is Richmond on a massive -85. The Tigers have received the fewest free kicks in 2024 while giving away the equal third most.

Second bottom is GWS on -54, with Geelong on -35, North Melbourne on -15 and both Melbourne and Port Adelaide on -14.

The free kick count can be totally irrelevant

There’s no statistics there on how many they miss
There’s no statistics on where the free kicks are given there
There’s no statistics on frees awarded to a team in junk time or when game has been decided

I’ve seen us get clobbered by umpires and win the count for the day

Being silenced. What rubbish. People need to be able to speak out against the umpiring that is killing this game. Look at him now having to backtrack on it

(1) Fly isn’t being silenced. All clubs are totally free to unload on any aspect of the AFL - it just needs to be done behind closed doors and not in the public domain.

(2) Fly unloading in the public domain doesn’t help anyone. You now have a large portion of a large supporter base who have heard it implied by the senior coach that their team missed out on finals because of a poor umpiring decision. We were 5 goals up with 15 mins to play. We missed a bunch of dolly set shots throughout the game. We missed a bunch of straightforward handball chains. We had some players who were playing well below their best. WTF are we finding a reason to blame the umpires? We should be taking responsibility for the loss - isn’t that the first step to us getting better? I could understand why the AFL would be miffed by this.

thanks for that

now re-cut that ladder showing:
_'frees for' that have directly (next possession or two) resulted in a goal
_dubious frees NOT paid (eg. McStay 50m penalty) that would have directly resulted in a goal

Obviously Longmire wants to maintain home umpiring, …

Nah, Longmire is just playing the game and stoking the rivalry.

Us Collingwood supporters aren’t used to it because for us rivalries are rusted on.

In Sydney (both Swans and GWS) rivalries aren’t really a big part of AFL culture so the clubs need to work on them.

He left himself open for oppo supporters/media to say he was only admitting to the bias we supposedly receive from umpires & our home ground advantage. Not to mention them now bringing up every 50/50 decision that has gone in our favour.

I'm shocked he spoke like this tbh. I think if he had his time again, he would have worded it differently.

He'll be right and he was right. It was a clear 50 that was more likely to get paid in a home state than an away state - it's pretty much undebateable that umpiring favours the home state - in all sports. And the deliberate rule did hit farce levels on Friday night.

What's the harm?

Remove this Banner Ad

Coach Craig McRae

Remove this Banner Ad

Back