Coach Craig McRae

Remove this Banner Ad

(1) Fly isn’t being silenced. All clubs are totally free to unload on any aspect of the AFL - it just needs to be done behind closed doors and not in the public domain.

(2) Fly unloading in the public domain doesn’t help anyone. You now have a large portion of a large supporter base who have heard it implied by the senior coach that their team missed out on finals because of a poor umpiring decision. We were 5 goals up with 15 mins to play. We missed a bunch of dolly set shots throughout the game. We missed a bunch of straightforward handball chains. We had some players who were playing well below their best. WTF are we finding a reason to blame the umpires? We should be taking responsibility for the loss - isn’t that the first step to us getting better? I could understand why the AFL would be miffed by this.
McRae was frustrated and let his emotions get the best of him. I can’t recall him ever criticising the umpires in the past.

Other coaches like Chris Scott seem to do it quite regularly.

He'll be right and he was right. It was a clear 50 that was more likely to get paid in a home state than an away state - it's pretty much undebateable that umpiring favours the home state - in all sports. And the deliberate rule did hit farce levels on Friday night.

What's the harm?
I agree with what he said. Just making the point that it comes across as being whiny & a poor loser when said during the presser after a loss.

Which is exactly how it's been interpreted.

He left himself open for oppo supporters/media to say he was only admitting to the bias we supposedly receive from umpires & our home ground advantage. Not to mention them now bringing up every 50/50 decision that has gone in our favour.

I'm shocked he spoke like this tbh. I think if he had his time again, he would have worded it differently.
Yes a very silly comment where it’s been interpreted as us getting a good deal at the G. He should have called out the bad decisions including the north non fifty and put the umpires on notice.

Chris Fagan said this earlier in the year after Simmo was hounded out:

"As a general comment I'd like to see coaches treated better than they are. They're basically really good people and they do it because they love the game.

"They have more of an interest in those players than just winning, it's about developing great people. I'd probably like to see it viewed a little more that way than the way it is currently, which is headline-grabbing one way or the other.

"You're either a hero or a villain it seems"

How apt after all this nonsense around Fly for a slight misremark (He was 100% right though). Imagine being a coach and watching your 22 blokes go out to battle, only to lose because of an umpire mishap and then have to do a press conference 10 minutes later. You'd want nothing more than to go in and bat for them. Industry says to be professional and fair enough, 95% of the time coaches just say "I didn't see it yet" and move on but they saw it, they know.

Now everyone is taking Fly's comment as if Collingwood are some maligned club with no advantages lmao. He never meant it that way but people just love to hate.

We were 5 goals up with 15 mins to play. We missed a bunch of dolly set shots throughout the game. We missed a bunch of straightforward handball chains. We had some players who were playing well below their best. WTF are we finding a reason to blame the umpires? We should be taking responsibility for the loss - isn’t that the first step to us getting better? I could understand why the AFL would be miffed by this.
I’m not having a go at you here specifically 76 - but I find this type of comment really frustrating.

Sydney did all of this stuff, and then some more - hence the reason they were so far behind in the first place. A perfect game doesn’t exist. And when there are so many decisions that help the comeback - including chaining the ball half the field for the winning goal - it is always going to leave a sour taste in people’s mouths. People absolutely have a right to be upset about it, and it’s not the first time it’s happened to us this year.

Pretending there is no issue is exactly why the state of umpiring is as diabolical as it is.

And if anyone thinks McRae is absolving his players of any blame behind closed doors, then I have a bridge to sell them. He got asked a question about the game, and he answered it. Rather accurately I would have thought.

I agree with what he said. Just making the point that it comes across as being whiny & a poor loser when said during the presser after a loss.

Which is exactly how it's been interpreted.

Does that matter?

I thought it was good. Honest response that pointed out we got unlucky, but also that we do get lucky at the G quite often. Let the carry on merchants carry on.

I find the fashion of pretending that umpiring luck doesn't impact games to be ridiculous. Five 50/50 calls in your favour has the same impact as 5 contested marks from Darcy Cameron - and Darcy's 5 big clunks had a really big impact on that game.

Chris Fagan said this earlier in the year after Simmo was hounded out:

"As a general comment I'd like to see coaches treated better than they are. They're basically really good people and they do it because they love the game.

"They have more of an interest in those players than just winning, it's about developing great people. I'd probably like to see it viewed a little more that way than the way it is currently, which is headline-grabbing one way or the other.

"You're either a hero or a villain it seems"

How apt after all this nonsense around Fly for a slight misremark (He was 100% right though). Imagine being a coach and watching your 22 blokes go out to battle, only to lose because of an umpire mishap and then have to do a press conference 10 minutes later. You'd want nothing more than to go in and bat for them. Industry says to be professional and fair enough, 95% of the time coaches just say "I didn't see it yet" and move on but they saw it, they know.

Now everyone is taking Fly's comment as if Collingwood are some maligned club with no advantages lmao. He never meant it that way but people just love to hate.
Great comment and saw your post on the main board as well, very balanced and fair view and not tainted by the hate from other supporters that just want to sink the boots in anytime they get the chance

The Freo game was just blatant
Even without the ridiculous one against Sullivan it was a case of what is happening. At least this time there was also absolute brilliance from Heeney and Warner. Against Freo, we didn't even get done around clearance - the umpire just blew the whistle and found them a clearance.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes, public ridicule might trigger a response from the players.

It won’t be the kind of response that helps the club but the important thing is that you'd feel better.

EDIT: Fly should try yelling at injuries too. See if a good spray speeds up recovery times.

Blamed the umpires.

Should have blamed the players and coaches.

McRae was frustrated and let his emotions get the best of him. I can’t recall him ever criticising the umpires in the past.

Other coaches like Chris Scott seem to do it quite regularly.
Might have been subtler, but he let it known that he was pissed off about the way that Ginnivan was umpired when they stopped paying them to him.

It was a poor comment and he could of just said he thought it was 50, but he's 10 minutes post their season being over, give him a break.
On a separate note does anyone else get frustrated about this constant narrative of how many games we get at the g. Yes, we don't travel much compared to interstate clubs but they all get 10 pure home games, whereas vic clubs get about 5 as they regularly play each other. Surely that balances the argument a bit.

Blamed the umpires.

Should have blamed the players and coaches.

Fly might regret his choice of words. I didn't feel that he blamed the umpires for the loss.

That 50m decision might have led to another great escape.

That last 15 minutes by Sydney was good, Pies had no answer. That's the big challenge for the players and coaches next year. Not the umpires, but how to finish strong.

Last edited:
Piss weak from McRae! You are the most emotionally intelligent coach in the land ! Stand by what you said because you had a point. Don’t pander to the masses!!
It would appear that McRae's response, where he had a subtle dig at the Swans player overstepping the mark and hence a 50 should have been paid, was a bit too subtle for some of our fans (and some in the media too). I thought it was a very cleverly worded mea culpa that reinforced his original message.
Piss weak from McRae! You are the most emotionally intelligent coach in the land ! Stand by what you said because you had a point. Don’t pander to the masses!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Coach Craig McRae

Remove this Banner Ad

Back