Cricket Thread: There's no cricket on for months

Remove this Banner Ad

Hazlewood still not quite ready, Richardson too, Khawaja in for Head (predictable), Boland retained ahead of Richardson, Swepson not selected.
" "You need a disciplined stump-to-stump bowler (at the SCG) and that's what Scotty brings," Australian captain Pat Cummins said. "
Think we may be missing a great opportunity to try 2 spinners with 2 tours of the sub continent & Green in good bowling form.

Think we may be missing a great opportunity to try 2 spinners with 2 tours of the sub continent & Green in good bowling form.
Dunno.
Is the SCG wicket still producing spin? I thought the spin on the Adelaide wicket was dramatic, and that Test went into the 5th day.
Who's the obvious choice to go with Lyon? Swepson, or Zampa? Someone else?

Kane McGoodwin

I think Green's "good bowling form" is hiding something significant ie he's not making enough runs to bat at #6 in the all-rounder's spot. I think Starc bats well enough to hold his own at #6; maybe even better, Cummins, and that would enable the selectors to play Boland or Richardson. Would this eleven be a weaker side:
Warner
Khawaja/Harris/Pucovski (one of --- I'm still not sold on Harris)
Labuschagne
Smith
Head
Starc/Cummins
Carey
Cummins/Starc
Hazlewood
Boland/Richardson
Lyon
(and drop either Boland/Richardson to play a second spinner in India)?

I pinched this post from the Cricket board (thanks big_e) about young players doing well in Shield cricket

Nine of the top ten runscorers in the Sheffield Shield this year are aged under 30:

Tim Ward - 23
Marnus Labuschagne - 27
Josh Philippe - 24
Jordan Silk - 29
Caleb Jewell - 24
Travis Head - 28
Henry Hunt - 24
Cameron Green - 22
Hilton Cartwright - 29

The other one was Khawaja, for the record.

And last year's top ten has eight currently aged under 30.

Green
Head
Labuschagne
Marcus Harris - 29
Cameron Bancroft - 29
Hunt
Jake Doran - 25
Josh Inglis - 26

The other two were S Marsh and Henriques.

Now, there are a few there that will probably not play test cricket (or in Cartwright and Bancroft's cases, probably won't play again), but at least there is something coming through.

What happens if multiple players from one side return positive tests during the match? Rain predicted over the next few days here in Sydney so there will be a fair bit of sitting around inside waiting for the weather to clear.

What happens if multiple players from one side return positive tests during the match? Rain predicted over the next few days here in Sydney so there will be a fair bit of sitting around inside waiting for the weather to clear.
Gather the injury sub would apply.

Dunno.
Is the SCG wicket still producing spin? I thought the spin on the Adelaide wicket was dramatic, and that Test went into the 5th day.
Who's the obvious choice to go with Lyon? Swepson, or Zampa? Someone else?
Swepson is in the squad.

Yes, Sydney is spinning... but concern with wet weather forecast.

Kane McGoodwin

I think Green's "good bowling form" is hiding something significant ie he's not making enough runs to bat at #6 in the all-rounder's spot. I think Starc bats well enough to hold his own at #6; maybe even better, Cummins, and that would enable the selectors to play Boland or Richardson. Would this eleven be a weaker side:
Warner
Khawaja/Harris/Pucovski (one of --- I'm still not sold on Harris)
Labuschagne
Smith
Head
Starc/Cummins
Carey
Cummins/Starc
Hazlewood
Boland/Richardson
Lyon
(and drop either Boland/Richardson to play a second spinner in India)?
Green should come good. If we felt the need to drop him down the order, it would be only Carey ahead of him, though no need imo.

Cummins & Starc both very handy, but not as capable as Green with the bat.

Imagine so, but you might need a few per side on standby at current rate.
Indeed... which is why we saw 3 additional players pulled into the squad.

There is a strong chance the injury sub will be activated in the Sydney test.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Indeed... which is why we saw 3 additional players pulled into the squad.

There is a strong chance the injury sub will be activated in the Sydney test.
If I had a members ticket I would be taking my bat and hanging around near the players entrance for all 5 days, just shadow batting

Nothing surer than Cam Green getting COVID, Marsh coming in against a battered England and making a ton.

I reckon you'd run the risk of outsmarting yourself with that, both at Sydney which hasn't been particularly spin friendly in the last decade or two, and in India where you risk neutering your greatest strength by adding a spinner.

I reckon you'd run the risk of outsmarting yourself with that, both at Sydney which hasn't been particularly spin friendly in the last decade or two, and in India where you risk neutering your greatest strength by adding a spinner.
Kane McGoodwin
This (above) is a better reply than what I was going to say, viz:
I don't think it's a great idea to pick current Ashes-in-Australia sides with future tours of the sub-continent in mind.

Last edited:
Starc at 6?

jesus. That just confirmed that this is definitely a football forum. See you in March
Calm down, please.
I do not think that Starc or Cummins would bat at 6, nor do I want them to.
It was a hypothetical, since Green is not making runs @ 6 (Starc has made more than twice as many runs as Green, 117 to 52 so far).
The question I proposed was: would such a team (without Green) be any weaker than the present side?
I can see that Green is tall, fit and very talented, with huge potential, and that CA are making a long-term investment in him especially since the team is winning without a Green-average of around 27-33. Currently 17.33 for this series.

However, I see that his average overall is 28.8 after 11 Tests.
It's going to be fascinating to watch that improve.

Remove this Banner Ad

Cricket Thread: There's no cricket on for months

Remove this Banner Ad

Back