Cricket Thread: There's no cricket on for months

Remove this Banner Ad

Huh? 39 off 16 against England, 53 against Bangladesh in crap conditions.

Our poor fielding cost us a spot in the semi final, it’s that simple. I also thought Inglis should have played over Wade, but otherwise we went in with our best team.
And when we needed him?

3 & 6

Everyone got runs against England and only Marsh faltered against Bangladesh in those conditions.

From this point I hope England win in some sort of unsatisfying way overnight, and then lose in the final.

Our poor fielding cost us a spot in the semi final, it’s that simple. I also thought Inglis should have played over Wade, but otherwise we went in with our best team.
would you say that it's the best team when form and more noticeably conditioning were taken into account. Half the squad limped into the tournament with no warmup. I felt the squad balance was off (I've mentioned Marsh the bat vs Marsh the allrounder as an example) and this set the stage for low standards elsewhere.

I agree that there's were no obvious individual major blunders (other than maybe Wade.) But really only Stoinis had a great tournament, and to a lesser extent Zampa and maybe Head.

Everyone else had "plausible deniability" tournaments, where they did just enough to kind of justify a spot. Which is normal if it's one or two players, but not 75% of the team.

From this point I hope England win in some sort of unsatisfying way overnight, and then lose in the final.

would you say that it's the best team when form and more noticeably conditioning were taken into account. Half the squad limped into the tournament with no warmup. I felt the squad balance was off (I've mentioned Marsh the bat vs Marsh the allrounder as an example) and this set the stage for low standards elsewhere.

I agree that there's were no obvious individual major blunders (other than maybe Wade.) But really only Stoinis had a great tournament, and to a lesser extent Zampa and maybe Head.

Everyone else had "plausible deniability" tournaments, where they did just enough to kind of justify a spot. Which is normal if it's one or two players, but not 75% of the team.
Hazlewood and Cummins were both good all tournament too

Team so far of the World Cup?

1 Head 255 runs @ 43, 158 strike rate
2 Sharma 191 @ 38, 160
3 Gous (wk) 219 @ 44, 151
4 Buttler 191 @ 48, 159
5 Stoinis 169 @ 42, 164; 10 wickets @ 15, 10.2 economy rate
6 Pandya 115 runs @ 58, 145; 8 wickets @ 20, 7.5
7 Chase 96 runs @ 47, 131; 7 wickets @ 11, 5.3
8 Russell 78 runs @ 26, 166; 11 wickets @ 13, 7.0
9 Nortje 13 @ 13, 5.6
10 Bumrah 11 @ 9, 4.1
11 Farooqi 17 @ 9, 6.3

Hazlewood and Cummins were both good all tournament too
Hazlewood I'd agree, if a bit inert against some of the weaker opposition. Cummins was good, but underdone, felt like he was buillding to the end of the tournament that never arrived.

Team so far of the World Cup?

1 Head 255 runs @ 43, 158 strike rate
2 Sharma 191 @ 38, 160
3 Gous (wk) 219 @ 44, 151
4 Buttler 191 @ 48, 159
5 Stoinis 169 @ 42, 164; 10 wickets @ 15, 10.2 economy rate
6 Pandya 115 runs @ 58, 145; 8 wickets @ 20, 7.5
7 Chase 96 runs @ 47, 131; 7 wickets @ 11, 5.3
8 Russell 78 runs @ 26, 166; 11 wickets @ 13, 7.0
9 Nortje 13 @ 13, 5.6
10 Bumrah 11 @ 9, 4.1
11 Farooqi 17 @ 9, 6.3
good XI. My only issue is that Gous' actual keeping wasn't amazing

Rashid Khan in for one of the pace bowlers maybe.

Hazlewood I'd agree, if a bit inert against some of the weaker opposition. Cummins was good, but underdone, felt like he was buillding to the end of the tournament that never arrived.

good XI. My only issue is that Gous' actual keeping wasn't amazing

Rashid Khan in for one of the pace bowlers maybe.
Considered Pooran as keeper & #3. Was tight.

Also, had Rashid as next bowler in.

England eliminated after playing four seamers on the world's most spin friendly wicket, against a team who deliberately picked extra spinners in the squad specifically for this match.

It's bad for cricket that India were able to cruise to this point pre-scheduled with no real opposition. But it's always funny when England lose

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Strange to think about it now really, imagine a Tassie green deck and seeing Whispering death with a new cherry about 90 metres away.

South Australia had Joel Garner around that time too for the season. Our opening bowlers were him and Rodney Hogg, I think Garner took nearly 60 wickets in 8 matches, had to leave for the last couple of matches to play a series for the Windies, with SA clearly on top as we definitely had Hookesy* and probably Wayne Phillips as bats and promised to come back if we made the finals.

We got smashed in the last two games and just missed depriving us of Big Bird for the Shield Final...SA cricket, always dependable, always.

Reckon that was the season Hookesy smashed that 100 off 30ish deliveries as well, I am sure Garner came out to bat in that innings

For those interested Fox are playing the World Championship of Legends tournament.

All team have a smattering of legends interspersed with say a Callum Feguson but yeah some champs now in their late 30s onwards.

Here is a link with the squads, the Saffers trying hard to win a comp...

For those interested Fox are playing the World Championship of Legends tournament.

All team have a smattering of legends interspersed with say a Callum Feguson but yeah some champs now in their late 30s onwards.

Here is a link with the squads, the Saffers trying hard to win a comp...

Just started watching, the constant "middle aged man takes minor tumble, has injury" vibes make this really funny and relatable to watch! But they still have some solid skills!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back