NRL Cronulla Sharks

Remove this Banner Ad

Another good performance, Hines has been so good (but so has Townsend for the Cowboys!). :D

No,really, it's all good.
Watched most of the game, a pretty polished performance in defence too. Hynes really does make a big difference, especially with other key players out.

New coach has worked wonders to. Who'd have thought it :rolleyes:.

New coach has worked wonders to. Who'd have thought it
Im always harping on about how coaches make a big difference in sport. Some teams have talent abd a bad coach, some teams have less talent but a great coach, and it's the coach who usually makes the difference.

But no doubting Hynes has been a huge key for your club too.

Im always harping on about how coaches make a big difference in sport. Some teams have talent abd a bad coach, some teams have less talent but a great coach, and it's the coach who usually makes the difference.

Would you like to harp on at my AFL side's chairman?

Take my team. With an awful coach (Adrian Lam; great player, poor coach) we struggled to score tries last season (even the relegated team scored more tries than us). defence wasn't too clever either. And we were awful to watch. New coach this season, we sit second in the table. have scored the most points and tries last time I looked, and are playing great attacking football. Going to games becomes something to look forward to, not a chore.

The Sharks are good to watch. I've never been Moylan's biggest fan, but it would be churlish to deny he's been on good form lately (I could say the same about Ben Hunt, say), and Hines is a cracking player.

Take my team. With an awful coach (Adrian Lam; great player, poor coach) we struggled to score tries last season (even the relegated team scored more tries than us). defence wasn't too clever either. And we were awful to watch. New coach this season, we sit second in the table. have scored the most points and tries last time I looked, and are playing great attacking football. Going to games becomes something to look forward to, not a chore.

The Sharks are good to watch. I've never been Moylan's biggest fan, but it would be churlish to deny he's been on good form lately (I could say the same about Ben Hunt, say), and Hines is a cracking player.
A perfect of example. Cowboys turnaround. Obviously talent matters. You have to be able to compete on the field. But all leagues, all sports, only the very best pool of players make the league, fill all the teams, so the parity is usually always there really. What the difference is between top and bottom is coaching, the cukture they bring, the know-how of strategy and development. Leadership, able to bring the best out of everyone, a unified team first culture, people skills to be able to get into the minds and hearts of a wide variety of individuals with different personalities and trigger points by utilizing different methods for each.

And there have been many instances in sport of a less talented team going all the way purely due to great coaching

Great win and the next two games against the Bulldogs and Knights are winnable. If we win both and the Cowboys drop a game to either the Bunnies or Penrith, which is probable, we could finish second. We probably will not get the game at Shark Park due to capacity issues but we could face the Cowboys in Sydney rather than in Queensland. The important thing is we keep winning and avoid injuries and suspensions.

Let's hope that Craig Fitzgibbon has the boys primed for the finals. We have a habit of dropping games we should win.

Wow! What is the capacity of Shark Park? Where else could it be played, the SCG?

Shark Park was one of the grounds the NRL thought they had a deal to upgrade with NSW Government. Perrotet reneged on the deal and at one stage the NRL was threatening to move the Grand Final out of NSW in retaliation. According to the link below the capacity at Shark Park has been reduced to 12,000 due to the development of the surrounds.

Thanks, Raptalia. It always surprises me that so many NRL grounds have such small capacities, and then you get massive venues like the SCG and Brisbane.

But I get that there's been a lot of politicking going on as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thanks, Raptalia. It always surprises me that so many NRL grounds have such small capacities, and then you get massive venues like the SCG and Brisbane.

But I get that there's been a lot of politicking going on as well.

When I first visited Sydney in the 1970's I could not get over the fact that Rugby clubs had massive social facilities in the form of Leagues Clubs but some fairly basic playing grounds. It was the opposite to Melbourne and Adelaide where we had many suburban grounds with 20,000+ capacities and basic social clubs. I guess it was the pokies effect.

When I first visited Sydney in the 1970's I could not get over the fact that Rugby clubs had massive social facilities in the form of Leagues Clubs but some fairly basic playing grounds. It was the opposite to Melbourne and Adelaide where we had many suburban grounds with 20,000+ capacities and basic social clubs. I guess it was the pokies effect.
In the early days the Sharks Leagues Club was in a converted house in Caringbah 😉. They bought the Captain Cook Drive site which was basically a swamp and built a rudimentary ground there - I remember well the original scaffold "grandstand" which had far more atmosphere than the concrete one that replaced it. The new leagues club was then built on the eastern side and was very swish for it's time

They went through various periods of financial trauma, but the thing that eventually saved them was that they owned the land, which they recently sold to developers in return for an annual dividend, so the future is allegedly more secure.

Oh, and with the Cowboys losing, a win against Newcastle next week will see us finish second. They've been under the radar somewhat this season, but have finished strongly.

Well done guys! We finish 2 on the ladder. That earns us a home final against the Cowboys. Not sure were it will be played but it will be in Sydney and we will avoid the Townsville cattle pen.

Hopefully Talakai comes up OK. He looked to walk off OK and it looked like a kick to the ankle but we will know more during the week.

Tokyo Sevens Olympian Lachie Miller looks the goods and I am with those who suggest he should be retained on the fence when Kennedy comes back. Hopefully we get a couple of players back next week.

Really relevant comment from Blocker Roach who said Cronulla's tackling has improved under Craig Fitzgibbon as we bring opposition players to the ground when we tackle. I can remember Blocker saying exactly the opposite last year about our tackling. It is a clear indication of the improvement under Fitzgibbon.

Good that we are at Shark Park.

We might get a couple of players back. Kennedy, Finucane, Rudolf and Tracey all have finals alongside of their availability and we will have to wait on Talakai who has apparently stirred up an old injury to his ankle. Kade Dykes also has finals alongside his return date.

Yesterday we did what we had to but there were some errors in our game. Wade Graham dropped a couple which is uncharacteristic for Wade and Nicho Hynes threw a couple of loose passes. Doubtless Craig Fitzgibbon will be working to tighten things up.

We welcome back Finucane, Kennedy, Rudolf and Tracey and Talakai has been passed fit. Hopefully these guys are fully recovered.

Blimey what a game, real heart in mouth stuff start to finish. Just a few critical errors at the wrong time and a disallowed try. Coughing the game up 15 seconds from FT hurt though. Classic Sharks defeat from the jaws of victory stuff. The Cowboys never stopped coming, they did look the more enthusiastic team.

Oh well, Raiders at home next week? It's going to depend I think on how well Fitzgibbon gets them to regroup. But even if they do win that, it's going to be a monumental task against Penrith in the prelim. A win tonight was kinda critical sadly.

Blimey what a game, real heart in mouth stuff start to finish. Just a few critical errors at the wrong time and a disallowed try. Coughing the game up 15 seconds from FT hurt though. Classic Sharks defeat from the jaws of victory stuff. The Cowboys never stopped coming, they did look the more enthusiastic team.

Oh well, Raiders at home next week? It's going to depend I think on how well Fitzgibbon gets them to regroup. But even if they do win that, it's going to be a monumental task against Penrith in the prelim. A win tonight was kinda critical sadly.
You play winner of Rabbitohs/Roosters. Think the game would be moved to a bigger stadium.

NRL Cronulla Sharks

Remove this Banner Ad

Back