Crows plan Walker talks!

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but he's either already going (i.e has signed the heads of agreement with GWS before November last year), or now has to wait until the end of the year before he can sign with them if he decides he wants to?

I'm sure they will and if I was a supporter of one of those clubs I'd be more scared that I wasn't hearing anything, because I really doubt that Sheedy is going to be vocal about all his targets just so he can give their clubs a chance to re-sign them.

I was including the gold coast aswell, nothing was mentioned of these teams last year either.
The gold coast didn't really get anyone of surprise though other than maybe bock, every other player that went was suspected
of going.

So someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but he's either already going (i.e has signed the heads of agreement with GWS before November last year), or now has to wait until the end of the year before he can sign with them if he decides he wants to?

Someone else can correct me, but I'm pretty sure (assuming he hasn't already signed) that he could sign "in principle" midway through the season, but then would need to either be traded there (via the compensation pick system or otherwise), or take his chances in the draft. There is not any current mechanism for a player to change clubs midway through the season, but I don't believe there is anything stopping him from basically agreeing to go at any time.

Nor i, have yet to be convinced that Taylor has the necessary head room to fit everything in it & for all the natural ability that he does have his suffers from to many brain fades at the wrong moment in a footy game.

Would love to be proven wrong & he becomes a 200 plus game player for us.

Must also add that i was one of those on this board that thought Bock was a waste of space some years back.

yes of course, all australian chb = waste of space:rolleyes:

Someone else can correct me, but I'm pretty sure (assuming he hasn't already signed) that he could sign "in principle" midway through the season, but then would need to either be traded there (via the compensation pick system or otherwise), or take his chances in the draft. There is not any current mechanism for a player to change clubs midway through the season, but I don't believe there is anything stopping him from basically agreeing to go at any time.

I think so. I'm sure that as with the GC, he could only put pen to paper in the designated signing windows, the first of which closed in November and the next of which opens in trade week this year (perhaps?). Until then he can only agree in principle so nothing's set in stone for the rest of the season and he's certainly on our list until the end of the year.

Plenty of great options in Sydney to live within driving distance of Blacktown (where training is based).

As a country boy, if he wants to live in the Blue Mountains that is less than an hour's drive. Blue Mountains are stunning are quite rightly regarded as one of the most beautiful parts of Australia. Blue Mountains > Mount Lofty!

OTOH if he wants to stay closer to the action he could live on the harbour at Lane Cove. That is about 35 mins on the M2 from Blacktown. He would be travelling in opposite direction to most traffic too. Sydney Harbour > West Lakes!

Plenty of other options - generally north and/or west though for commuting to Blacktown. Beaches may be a bit far but still doable, especially via the tunnel through to M2. Even a place like Vaucluse or Bondi Beach is less than 1 hour this way. Bondi beach > Glenelg.

If you want to get into a pissing contest - Sydney wins hands down. I have lived in each place for 20 years or so and like both. They just offer different lifestyles. I also lived on Gold Coast for three years and that place would come last on my own list FWIW. As a young-star I reckon Sydney, even western Sydney would have a lot of appeal.

Plenty of great options in Sydney to live within driving distance of Blacktown (where training is based).

As a country boy, if he wants to live in the Blue Mountains that is less than an hour's drive. Blue Mountains are stunning are quite rightly regarded as one of the most beautiful parts of Australia. Blue Mountains > Mount Lofty!

OTOH if he wants to stay closer to the action he could live on the harbour at Lane Cove. That is about 35 mins on the M2 from Blacktown. He would be travelling in opposite direction to most traffic too. Sydney Harbour > West Lakes!

Plenty of other options - generally north and/or west though for commuting to Blacktown. Beaches may be a bit far but still doable, especially via the tunnel through to M2. Even a place like Vaucluse or Bondi Beach is less than 1 hour this way. Bondi beach > Glenelg.

If you want to get into a pissing contest - Sydney wins hands down. I have lived in each place for 20 years or so and like both. They just offer different lifestyles. I also lived on Gold Coast for three years and that place would come last on my own list FWIW. As a young-star I reckon Sydney, even western Sydney would have a lot of appeal.

Delete user.

Sydney is one of the biggest holes in Australia.

The sad reality is that the gold coast suns will become regardless of their ladder position the destination of choice for uncontracted players and it would not suprise me if gws become just as attractive. Why live and train in 10 degree winter days in melbourne when you can live on the gold coast near theme parks and good surf beaches in sunny weather. while the gold coast is hugely over rated as a tourist destination, everyone must admit that if your a footy player looking to have some fun for a couple of years no one has a better sell then the gold coast.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There's more on Craig's stance regarding players refusing to re-sign early in the season: http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/108155/default.aspx

His change in attitude regarding the selection of players who are likely to leave at the end of the year appears to be driven by pragmatism (noting that the introduction of free agency in 2012 means that this could become an annual reality), whereas his stance with Bock was driven by emotion & principles.

I particularly liked this quote:
"I would hate to be a player in the situation where there's going to be innuendo every week. For people to say, 'I'm going to put contract talks off until the end of the year, so I can concentrate on football', well good luck.

"It makes it worse. It doesn’t make it better."

I think Neil Craig is trying to be an optimast but it is an unrealistic goal. I think if a player came forward and said they are going I think the media scrutiny on a players performance would be far worse. I think a young player would rather have inuendo over their contract than have their performance scrutinised to the enth degree and be booed by their own teams supporters and heckled. I do not see a win/win situation at all. Sorry Neil but your mistaken on this one.

players are harrassed like no tomorrow in the NRL when they announce they are leaving at the end of the year, it is not as rosey as it is made out to be. Soccer is the only one where it is mostly accepted and thats because the clubs can sell their players. If wayne rooney walks however to chelsea i do not think sir alex nor anyone would be too thrilled about it.

When you think about it, why should the club have all the power?
Why should some players especially 30yo players be forced to sit through an entire season not knowing what will happen next year before being offered a new 1 year deal or worse axed and yet the club gets upset because a young player puts of contract talks till the end of the year. As much as it pains me, Taylor Walker and anyone else has every right to protect themselves and try and get as much money as possible in the environment they choose.

Anyone else here Rehny's comments on last Friday I think it was?

He basically asid it's not the clubs business and tried to highlight how if clubs came out in support of the players, focussing on their current contracts/engagement, then everyone would be better off. Obviously the complicating factor there is the media :p

I really like the way he talked about it and wondered how long is it going to be to see if he can apply for, and go through the required process, and possibly end up with a job at the club. Love the way he looks at footy and in particular some of his comments on player management. Not a yes man by any stretch and knows his footy.

I think Neil Craig is trying to be an optimast but it is an unrealistic goal. I think if a player came forward and said they are going I think the media scrutiny on a players performance would be far worse. I think a young player would rather have inuendo over their contract than have their performance scrutinised to the enth degree and be booed by their own teams supporters and heckled. I do not see a win/win situation at all. Sorry Neil but your mistaken on this one.

players are harrassed like no tomorrow in the NRL when they announce they are leaving at the end of the year, it is not as rosey as it is made out to be. Soccer is the only one where it is mostly accepted and thats because the clubs can sell their players. If wayne rooney walks however to chelsea i do not think sir alex nor anyone would be too thrilled about it.

When you think about it, why should the club have all the power?
Why should some players especially 30yo players be forced to sit through an entire season not knowing what will happen next year before being offered a new 1 year deal or worse axed and yet the club gets upset because a young player puts of contract talks till the end of the year. As much as it pains me, Taylor Walker and anyone else has every right to protect themselves and try and get as much money as possible in the environment they choose.

Neil talks about, 'need an environment of trust' to facilitate players coming forward.

The reality is the environment includes the media and us as fans.

So.... reality is, as you've highlighted, such an environment does't, and never would, exist until the culture around 'club loyalty' under goes a massive change. Do any of us ever want this?

I always loved Rehny as he called a spade a F&*king spade.

It is the media who hurts the most. But in Abletts case everything was highlighted due to the obvious fight with Bomberwhich made the speculation worse. The speculation on Bock was nowhere near as bad. What Neil is doing is keeping Walkers name in front of the media and to me that is making it much worse.

What I think Neil is actually doing is sticking true to his own principles of wanting to be open and honest, call everyone by their first names and be direct..

It's the media that keeps asking him questions that are creating the tension.

Neil obviously feels, and its reflected in his comments in the article, be open and honest and work hard and everything sorts out for the best in the end.

I have massive admiration for this philosophy in many ways but the reality is I think there are better ways to handle this one if he wants to keep the pressure off Tex.

Reality is... maybe he doesn't ;)

We used to joke about the AFL finding a way to take Walker away from us a la the Gibbs debacle; ironically, they could yet do it. ****ing....****.

The even more annoying this is that we won't hear the end of it from Rucci if he goes, seeing as he was one of the first to mention his name (only because he stupidly thought Broken Hill was so close to Sydney and all:eek:).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back