Opinion Non-Crows AFL 11

Remove this Banner Ad

Piss easy to solve just include any payment from a club sponsor to a player under the cap.
And if they move to a club the payment can’t increase.
Or the player's family members.

... still doesn't address the issues of giving them real estate deals at "mate's rates", which turn out to be incredibly profitable.

Surely that’s easy to trace
Easy to trace. Maybe not so easy to enforce.

For example, the real estate profits aren't realised until the player sells the property (or properties), which may not happen until years after they retire. I guess the AFL could call for independent property valuations, and try to include any difference between that value and the "mates rates" price paid, but I don't see the AFL going down that path.

I've got the perfect plan to make GWS the biggest club in Australia

Every ticket to their home games is actually a 1 game membership

They got 135k people across all of their home games. Collingwood only have 110k members. With every ticket being a full membership, they'd be in the lead!

The mighty Port Powah have offered 1 game memberships for the past 3 or 4 years.

I think they stated with their Chasing Greatness thingo 3 premierships in the next 5 years, 80k members blah blah blah.

As you say one game memberships are a great way to boost your member number.

It's impossible to compare membership numbers between clubs, when the AFL to their 'audit' they should publish the raw member number and then how many FTE members there are.

Some vic-clubs offer 14 or 15 game memberships would = 1.4 FTE

Our 11 game memberships would = 1.0 FTE

Ports 1 game membership would = 0.09 FTE

So simple and transparent, the AFL would never do it - the AFL audit is a waste of time.

Last edited:
I've got the perfect plan to make GWS the biggest club in Australia

Every ticket to their home games is actually a 1 game membership

They got 135k people across all of their home games. Collingwood only have 110k members. With every ticket being a full membership, they'd be in the lead!
I paid something like $30 to get discount off tickets and I counted as a member, so we are even worse than that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

WaynesWorld19

Are you heading down to Bourke street to soak a little of that Melbourne culture today Ol’ mate ?
Couple of innocent buskers bashed by a mob in Keffirs and 25000 back protesting today for the extreme cultural experience.
Your house prices are collapsing, are to be taxed like nothing seen before, young people and old are abandoning the anarchistic state.

Time to build the wall @ Bordertown.
exactly what i am talking about in terms of how far melbourne has fallen

anyway FFS no to the wall at bordertown or I cant get to our games!

I think AFL audit numbers only count game access memberships?
I'm not sure about now

Pretty sure when I looked at it a few years ago (pre-Covid), membership was based on a minimum spend (human)

At the time I think WC, like us, had a large % of 11 game members. Their membership numbers were boosted by having memberships that were financial only, but included a membership pack (scarf, beanie, stickers etc)

I can't remember what the spend was, more than $50 from memory though

A bit of research seems to indicate it was true in 2016 ($50 minimum and game access required) but they have likely loosened it with the rise of Kayo.
I suspect the AFL has loosened the criteria so they can claim rising and record memberships every year

Or the player's family members.

... still doesn't address the issues of giving them real estate deals at "mate's rates", which turn out to be incredibly profitable.

Can always include the difference between mates rates and stamp duty value in the cap which would stop it.

Example: I could say to you Vader i will sell you my house for 10 bucks and you scape together some coin and hand it over, the sale is legal but when you go to pay stamp duty on the property the government wants their share so they put their own value ( sort of in Vicinity of council rates value) and base it on that.

Of course that depends on whether they have stamp duty in the state I guess

I suspect the AFL has loosened the criteria so they can claim rising and record memberships every year
There was a time where it needed a minimum spend at at least a 3 game membership I think.
Of course the AFL don't make any of this clear so that they can manipulate the numbers depending on whatever story they want at the time.
The AFL is as transparent as a black hole.

Funny that they aren't bragging about attendance this year. Fickle Victorian supporters have stopped attending some of the 'big' clubs.
Melbourne were getting sub 20k crowds by the end of the season. Pathetic for a club that only recently won a flag.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion Non-Crows AFL 11

Remove this Banner Ad

Back