Culina: AFL supporters who dont embrace football are "insecure in their code"

Remove this Banner Ad

Ironically, the one tactical change in AFL that is driving people crazy - kicking the ball backwards and switching from one wing to another - came from soccer.

correct

and what I also find ironic is that people complain about how AFL is going down (flooding, low scoring) and then say they will watch soccer which as you said is where most of these tactics are coming from

If I were you I'd forgtet trying to find weak points in soccer and come up with solutions as to how the sport you love AFL is going to fix its owns emerging problems:

1) Kicking backwards and holding the game up - yes, its more like soccer b/c clubs know it can be (not always) a winning tactic.

2) Greediness of TV stations - knowing the paid $780 which is great for AFL but it means it can hold the comp hostage to changing things to increase ratings revenue - a la twighlight grand final

3) Impotentence of Vic clubs, like my own tigers. This is going to directly benefit Melb Victory, b/c at least Victorians can support a winning team whether you like it or not, its an attrractive alternative.

4) Perception of drug scandals and lack of adequate testing

5) Ongoing off field misdemenours - violence, brawling at pubs - it ain't a good look.

6) Lack of real expansion opportuinities in the next 5 years, beyond the gold coast - relative to other sports like NRL and soccer.

This list could go on.....

That piece of daydreaming dosent alter the fact the the sensational "WORLD" game couldnt pull any decent crowds to the games. Maybe not as popular as you might think!

That piece of daydreaming dosent alter the fact the the sensational "WORLD" game couldnt pull any decent crowds to the games. Maybe not as popular as you might think!

Been to any victory games this year sunshine? They averaged better crowds than some afl sides at the dome and sold it out three times in the season, not bad for a game that can't pull crowds. You people have to get your head out of your arses if you don't think that the A-League is a good alternative during the summer months. Would never work in winter cos of footy but good for summer when the most boring spectator sport in the world in cricket is the only alternative.

Been to any victory games this year sunshine? They averaged better crowds than some afl sides at the domeand sold it out three times in the season, not bad for a game that can't pull crowds. You people have to get your head out of your arses if you don't think that the A-League is a good alternative during the summer months. Would never work in winter cos of footy but good for summer when the most boring spectator sport in the world in cricket is the only alternative.

Oi! Leave the Cricket alone...It's a great game.

If you want boring, go watch some baseball...:thumbsdown: Absolute joke of a sport.

I'm not insecure in my code, I just couldn't care less about soccer

I think your stance echoes that of many AFL fans. Soccer doesn't even register a blip on the radar to them. They're called uncultured as a result, by people who don't like being second best in a two-horse race.

Is it more un-Australian to not watch the Australian womens netball team play a huge international series against England and New Zealand in the UK or to not watch a Sydney based club play some Japanese based club in some Asian based competition?

Anyone here who didn't watch the Australian netball team led by sporting legend Liz Ellis (who is arguably our greatest netball player of all-time) play in that series IMO is as un-Australian as it gets.

What about people who didn't watch the SoO? Arguably the 3 biggest League games of the year other than the GF. Un-Australian.

And then we have the A1 Grand Prix competition. If you didn't watch Team Australia represent our country with great endevor then you're again un-Australian. This is the biggest motorsport that Australia has it's own team in, even bigger than the Indie car series in America.

And that takes me to the Indie cars, anyone who doesn't watch Team Australia led by rising star Will Power (Wheel Power as marketed in America :D) must be un-Australian.

Hands up if you didn't watch a single game from that last Rugby Union World Cup? Un-Australian.

Didn't watch the cricket this summer or the cricket World Cup? Un-Australian.

Did you watch the biggest fight of the year for Australia between Green and "The Man" because if you didn't then you're un-Australian.

The latest hockey championships that Australia did well in? No? Un-Australian.

The Commonwealth Games? If you didn't, un-Australian.

The Opals winning the World Championships of basketball, one of the biggest achievments in Australian sport full stop, even bigger than making the soccer World Cup. No? Un-Australian!

I could go on and on. In the end all it shows is that this un-Australian crap is just that, crap.

Is it more un-Australian to not watch the Australian womens netball team play a huge international series against England and New Zealand in the UK or to not watch a Sydney based club play some Japanese based club in some Asian based competition?

Anyone here who didn't watch the Australian netball team led by sporting legend Liz Ellis (who is arguably our greatest netball player of all-time) play in that series IMO is as un-Australian as it gets.

What about people who didn't watch the SoO? Arguably the 3 biggest League games of the year other than the GF. Un-Australian.

And then we have the A1 Grand Prix competition. If you didn't watch Team Australia represent our country with great endevor then you're again un-Australian. This is the biggest motorsport that Australia has it's own team in, even bigger than the Indie car series in America.

And that takes me to the Indie cars, anyone who doesn't watch Team Australia led by rising star Will Power (Wheel Power as marketed in America :D) must be un-Australian.

Hands up if you didn't watch a single game from that last Rugby Union World Cup? Un-Australian.

Didn't watch the cricket this summer or the cricket World Cup? Un-Australian.

Did you watch the biggest fight of the year for Australia between Green and "The Man" because if you didn't then you're un-Australian.

The latest hockey championships that Australia did well in? No? Un-Australian.

The Commonwealth Games? If you didn't, un-Australian.

The Opals winning the World Championships of basketball, one of the biggest achievments in Australian sport full stop, even bigger than making the soccer World Cup. No? Un-Australian!

I could go on and on. In the end all it shows is that this un-Australian crap is just that, crap.

I think it's un Australian that you didn't mention Casey Stoner & Chris Vermulen ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Been to any victory games this year sunshine? They averaged better crowds than some afl sides at the dome and sold it out three times in the season, not bad for a game that can't pull crowds. You people have to get your head out of your arses if you don't think that the A-League is a good alternative during the summer months. Would never work in winter cos of footy but good for summer when the most boring spectator sport in the world in cricket is the only alternative.

why knock cricket for

i'd rather A-L in winter, so then all the smart ar.se football codes can fight to the death and then shut up

maybe ricky ponting should come out and qeustion the patriotism of those who watch the A-League over watching their country play another country in an international competition

It probably went unnoticed with all the fuss over Sydney FC & Urawa, but
Adelaide United also played an Asian Champions League soccer game on the same day, against a Vietnamese team.

It may be a sign of things to come, but the player who scored Adelaide's three goals is a young aboriginal guy called Travis Dodd.

A great opener for the Indigenous Round.

Culina's an idiot, and Sydney FC suck.

I feel soccer is fantastic to watch, but I won't force anyone to like it. It's about more than the scoreline.

Remove this Banner Ad

Culina: AFL supporters who dont embrace football are "insecure in their code"

Remove this Banner Ad

Back