CW on Laidley's position

Remove this Banner Ad

Caroline Wilson was asked about the situation with Laidley.

She said the Kangas sub committee are going to wait until the end of the season and the spectre of Longmire hangs over the club. CW claims a finals birth doesn't guarantee Laidley is renewed.

Hard to get any word from insiders on this - all sticking to the company line. We will review it at the end of the year.

I am starting to think he is on thin ice or they would renew now. Can't see any other reason for not moving early if they really think he is the man to go forward.

I am starting to think he is on thin ice or they would renew now. Can't see any other reason for not moving early if they really think he is the man to go forward.

I don't think there is anything sinister going on. They're just waiting to see how the season pans out before assessing to see what deal they can offer Laidley.

It is a risk. If the team finishes the team strongly, maybe even wins a final, then the bargaining power shifts to Laidley. However, if we finish off weakly, then the power swings back to the club.

IMHO, if we make the finals with our list, and combined with the new facilities next season, I think we'll retain Laidley. IT's Laidley's team out there now, and I think he'd back himself to take them on for another two years.

I don't think there is anything sinister going on. They're just waiting to see how the season pans out before assessing to see what deal they can offer Laidley.

It is a risk. If the team finishes the team strongly, maybe even wins a final, then the bargaining power shifts to Laidley. However, if we finish off weakly, then the power swings back to the club.

IMHO, if we make the finals with our list, and combined with the new facilities next season, I think we'll retain Laidley. IT's Laidley's team out there now, and I think he'd back himself to take them on for another two years.

Agree with all of that although the longmire name is being mentioned more and more. Just not sure if he is our answer.

I reckon the Longmire name is being mentioned less and less - according to my sources.

I'm just not convinced that he is the golden haired boy in the wings waiting to save the NMFC. I'm not even sure why - I'm just not convinced.

So we said at the start of the year that we'd look into the coaching situation at about round 15 or so. Now, having won 9 of the last 11, we are saying that we'll look into it at the end of the season instead.

Does that mean that the board expected us to not do too well and that now that we've been successful, we are unsure whether Laidley can keep the boys going for the whole season?

Personally, I don't like this delay, they should sign him up now. Even if the boys fade for the rest of the season, he's shown that he knows the way forward, has produced 4 NAB RS nominees in the last 20 games, and got massive improvements in guys like Hamish, Pratt, McMahon, Drew etc.

I reckon the Longmire name is being mentioned less and less - according to my sources.

I'm just not convinced that he is the golden haired boy in the wings waiting to save the NMFC. I'm not even sure why - I'm just not convinced.

You would think that Ross Lyon's performance at St.Kilda and the decline of the Swans will reflect poorly on Longmire. It might be unfair, but there will be a perception that the "tempo footy" game plan has gone by its use by date (and not too bloody soon either).

Anyway, I'd be wary of taking on another rookie coach. They'll have their own learning curve as they take on the top job, but our is starting to build up a bunch of kids who are in their late teens to early twenties, and who are moving into the 20 to 60 games of experience bracket. We need a coach who can hit the ground running and concentrate on developing the kids. I've said it before, but if Laidley goes, we should go for Neale Daniher.

I love the Horse, but I am scared he would bring a Sydney style game plan which would send this year's development down the drain.

Everything I hear is that everyone who knows, says that Laidley is an outstanding coach.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You would think that Ross Lyon's performance at St.Kilda and the decline of the Swans will reflect poorly on Longmire. It might be unfair, but there will be a perception that the "tempo footy" game plan has gone by its use by date (and not too bloody soon either).

Anyway, I'd be wary of taking on another rookie coach. They'll have their own learning curve as they take on the top job, but our is starting to build up a bunch of kids who are in their late teens to early twenties, and who are moving into the 20 to 60 games of experience bracket. We need a coach who can hit the ground running and concentrate on developing the kids. I've said it before, but if Laidley goes, we should go for Neale Daniher.
My sources and I are scared shitless of the idea that Longmire - being a Roos understudy - will have us playing Lyon/Roos Floodney footy.

As much as I like John Longmire and think he will probably be a good coach, for some time I am also S***scared that anyone from Sydney would get their hands on our club. I think the time of the Paul Roos game plan is passing at lightening speed. It has been worked out and surpassed with a quicker ball movement. They set a standard for contested ball that the other teams are beginning to match and even surpass and Sydney are going up and down on the spot.

I think he's not being signed yet because we're waiting to see how the next 8 weeks go.

We didn't sack him after 2006 and the three losses to start this year, there's no (real need) in my opinion, to sign him up right now.

Slow news week for USC hack.

What the panic merchants seem to worry about is that Dean will get us into finals and then take off for greener pastures. What they fail to realise is that the pastures of a team at the bottom of the table, or a team of perennial under performers... that aint greener than Arden St. He has one of the plum jobs. He'll want to stay with this group and it's just a question of how much $$$.

Hard to get any word from insiders on this - all sticking to the company line. We will review it at the end of the year.

Why not wait til the end of the season, when BOTH parties will have a clear idea of what he's worth ?

I have no doubt that, if the club offers him a renewed contract, he will want a pay rise.....which is fair enough given he's generally believed to be the lowest-paid coach in the comp. He wouldn't turn down a fair offer from the Roos. End of story.......no drama, nothing to see here folks. :cool:

So we said at the start of the year that we'd look into the coaching situation at about round 15 or so. Now, having won 9 of the last 11, we are saying that we'll look into it at the end of the season instead.

Actually USC said that the company line before the season started was that it will be reviewed at the end of season. She claims NMFC position on this issue has not changed at all this year. Are we sure Laidley's contract was due for a mid season review or is this just rumour?

If the position hasnt changed since start of year no use wasting energy thinking about it.

Why not wait til the end of the season, when BOTH parties will have a clear idea of what he's worth ?

I have no doubt that, if the club offers him a renewed contract, he will want a pay rise.....which is fair enough given he's generally believed to be the lowest-paid coach in the comp. He wouldn't turn down a fair offer from the Roos. End of story.......no drama, nothing to see here folks. :cool:
Yeah, "my sources" reckon that sounds like a pretty good idea.

Invariably when a coach is reappointed mid-season the wheels fall off and the club loses more than it wins.

Lets not muck with the concentration of all involved just now.

Actually USC said that the company line before the season started was that it will be reviewed at the end of season. She claims NMFC position on this issue has not changed at all this year. Are we sure Laidley's contract was due for a mid season review or is this just rumour?

If the position hasnt changed since start of year no use wasting energy thinking about it.

OK, I hope that is correct then. "My source" was an article in today's Australian by Patrick Smith: "Previously Duff was to consider Laidley's position about this time of the year."

Ive posted before on this very issue and there is a major disadvantage in waiting til seasons end. Imagine if we make the finals and bow out in week one? The board meets a week or two later to discuss the coach and decide their course of action. If their decision is to retain the coach and both parties are fairly close as far as remuneration then its not a problem.

Problem is if negotiations start on pay, conditions, football department budgets and this drags on til the next board meeting, if either party cracks and decides its not worth the hassle or common ground cant be reached on the conditions then you are talking early to mid October before we can start interviewing new coaches. By the time we appoint a new coach then by the time the new coach brings in his new assistants (because with any new head coach you would expect a fair turnover of assistants) and assembles a coaching team, the trade period is over, list changes deadline has been reached and most likely the draft is over. Not to mention that with all other clubs looking for a coach beating us by a good 6-8 weeks we end up with a coach who may be 2nd or 3rd choice.

Even if they bite the bullet in mid september and say goodbye to Laidley you are talking early-mid october before new coaching panel takes over. We can kiss goodbye any list changes the new coach wants to make and he has 1 less year to implement his game style with the players he wants to retain at the club.

Im still not sure we are going to see much in the last month of a season that would change your mind about the coach/game plan/development of players etc that you havent already seen for the first 6 months of the year. Any board worth its salt must needs to ensure that the football club is running close to its maximum throughout the year, you dont just see this and decide whether the club is being coached in the right direction the day after the season finishes.

Surely we cant wait til mid september to decide this. And surely there isnt much more benefit in making this decision in September as opposed to August.

Im just about out of coach talk for today, I might go spend some time with the dog now.....and maybe even the mrs.

As much as the $$ Dean will be paid will be a deciding factor, I think it's as much to do with the resources he has at his disposal. he won't leave us for Melbourne, of that I'd be almost certain, but Freo might be a different story. If that's his bag, it's his loss. You can't buy the shit that's obviously endemic at our club. I really believe that.

As much as the $$ Dean will be paid will be a deciding factor, I think it's as much to do with the resources he has at his disposal. he won't leave us for Melbourne, of that I'd be almost certain, but Freo might be a different story. If that's his bag, it's his loss. You can't buy the shit that's obviously endemic at our club. I really believe that.

So do I. Looking at it from a pov removed from the club, I think it would be a massive mistake for his career to leave. It really would.

Remove this Banner Ad

CW on Laidley's position

Remove this Banner Ad

Back