ODI CWC 2023 Qualification Tournament

Remove this Banner Ad

May 30, 2006
Canberra
AFL Club
North Melbourne
All Australian eyes will be on The Ashes, but on Sunday the tournament to decide which two out of ten teams fill the remaining spots in the World Cup begins in Zimbabwe.
West Indies and Sri Lanka have to be hot favourites. Sri Lanka even being in this tournament has to be considered an embarrassment really.
Nepal almost missed out but stormed home in their final games to make it this far (via cricinfo). (AS far as I am aware) The availability of Lamichhane is subject to the courts. He is in the squad but could be forced back at any time on short notice, but that would seem unlikely to coincide with a shortish tournament.
Ireland rested IPL player Josh Little from their one-off Test against England, but he will play in the qualifiers. Which sort of underlines how much Test cricket means to smaller nations, even those requesting more of it. White ball representation and prize money is vital to staying afloat.

Group AGroup B
West Indies (Ranked 10th)Sri Lanka (Ranked 9th)
Zimbabwe (11, hosts)Ireland (12)
Nepal (14)Scotland (13)
Unites States of America (15)Oman (18)
Netherlands (17)United Arab Emirates (19)

16th ranked Namibia did not qualify for the qualifiers.

There is a Super Sixers stage, presumably the top three from each group progress with points against teams in their own group carrying over. The top two then qualify for the world cup, the final doesn't produce much more than a trophy and presumably a small amount of prize money.

Full schedule on Cricinfo or from the ICC
Two venues in each of Harare and Bulawayo, and it seems the teams don't change cities during the group phase - I would guess to limit the ICC's travel costs, but how much can it cost to hire a team bus in Zimbabwe compared to flying the teams there. That could provide an advantage with being used to local conditions come the super six stage.

Last edited:
I think Ireland are big smokies to make it through, Zimbabwe at home could pose a threat. Can't really see anyone else challenging especially Netherlands, considering their players out

According to Cricket Scotland, DRS will be in play from the Super 6s onwards. A bit weird given significant points will carry over from the group stage that won't have DRS but at least it should stop the robbery that Scotland copped from this in the last qualifiers:

It would be s**t to see Sri Lanka and the West Indies not make it through.

Sri Lanka just came off a series against Afghanistan, defeating them 2-1
The West Indies just came off a series against the UAE, defeating them 3-0
I disagree completely I'd love to see them miss in favour of any of others making it in front of them.

I don't want to see them miss for this reason but it's interesting to note, in ODI cricket in the last 5 years Sri Lanka are 5W 28L away from Sri Lanka.

If Scotland or Netherlands had their full squads available I'd give them an outside chance of qualifying however as it stands it's really only Zimbabwe or Ireland who are a chance to upset the 2 favs I'd say.

I thought I read somewhere that icc.tv would have it, but that doesn't appear to be true.
It looks like kayo have some games. Maybe one a day.
I think I might have been the one that said the games would be on icc.tv in another thread which I was obviously wrong about. Apologies if so.

The matches from Harare Sports Club and Queens in Bulawayo will be the ones televised on Fox Cricket and Kayo. The other game on each day will apparently be streamed I just have absolutely no idea where.

Once we get to the Super 6s there is only one match a day so we'll see each match of that stage.

Keen to see how the United States go given they're joint hosting the next T20WC.
What's the status on that?

I did hear some talk that they might be stripped of the official co-hosting rights because USA Cricket is a mess, and they'd be relying on Cricket West Indies to let them have a few games on USA territory.

I think I might have been the one that said the games would be on icc.tv in another thread which I was obviously wrong about. Apologies if so.

The matches from Harare Sports Club and Queens in Bulawayo will be the ones televised on Fox Cricket and Kayo. The other game on each day will apparently be streamed I just have absolutely no idea where.

Once we get to the Super 6s there is only one match a day so we'll see each match of that stage.
I didn't think I read it here, or at least not only here, but maybe.
Ah, each game two of the venues, that makes some sense I guess with limited resources and interest globally.

News to me
Yeah, it was mentioned on the Emerging Cricket podcast some weeks back. I think I even linked to the podcast episode in a different thread, perhaps the Associates thread? Worth noting those guys are super critical of USA Cricket and have been for the whole time I've been listening to them, which is probably three or four years now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How many times have Ervine and Williams done this sort of thing in chases for Zimbabwe?

Remove this Banner Ad

ODI CWC 2023 Qualification Tournament

Remove this Banner Ad

Back