D1 2009

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rupppo toughed it out and broke the shackles late in the 3rd quarter against a disciplined and determined Aquinas. They are clearly reeling with injury problems as we were far from impressive, their defence stood up against our power forward line very well up till half way through the third qrt.

Werribee are clearly now flag favorites, they are smashing sides at will with a 9 goal haul today from a guy in his first senior game this year. Rupppo were always up and about early as we have been in past seasons, so we might be competitive at Soldiers in 3 weeks, however they clearly now have the mantle as the team to beat. Ruppo are happy to be the underdogs against the tigers.

Most importantly we only look as far as next week against an improved Prahan. As impressed as most of our supporters were with NOBS, they are now officially in trouble, i am first to say i am surprised.

A real slog out at BSO yesterday with ESL's brilliant 2nd term with the breeze, slamming on 7.2.44 to take a 7 point lead, sitting us back on our heels with plenty to think about at the main break.

The Animals were true to their moniker in their attack on the footy, and only trailed by 3 1/2 goals at the final change. Fortunately, the strong 4-5 goal gale had abated to a mildly gusty 2-3 advantage, and it meant we were able to control the movement of the footy a bit better.

As the minutes ticked on, it was clear the ESL lads were getting a bit more desperate to bridge the gap (which they closed to 15 points pretty early on), and this allowed us to sneak a couple of majors through on the 'counter punch'. Scoring the last 4 goals of the game probably means the end result isn't a true reflection of how close ESL were to their 2nd win.

In the end, 44 sore and knackered guys left the ground having put on a willing, albeit unspectacular display. No doubt on their more intimate home deck ESL will thrive, as the open spaces of BSO probably didn't suit their game plan.

Still, we were pretty happy that we won the 2nd half of the game by 9.7.61 - 2.0.12. On to next week and a trip out to Friar Park. A win out there would be some small revenge for the 20 goal belting we received in rd 18 of 2007. Hopefully the result will be a tad closer this time.

Oh, and Rocky, ease off on the NOBs lads until rd 9 OK? They've played all of sideshowbob's "Big 4" already, so the 1-4 record will no doubt be 5-4 by the turn. Remember, there's daylight between them and the bottom 5 sides for sure. Lock it in.

Ok, was that lock it in????

Scribe, is there still daylight betweeen them and the bottom five sides??

Or are you ready to concede that you were worng and rocky might have a point about this bloke,

Terry, self appointed after no procees, has now won 3 from the last 16 which included a straight sets exit from last years finals.

Time to step down Terry and and admit that " unfinsihed business" is a farce and your coaching from the 80's has no relevence today.

NObs to d2!!

Relax Rocky,

Perhaps you've overdone the human growth hormone, or are still suffering the after effects of the Ivan Drago fight (I always thought you were at your best in the Clubber Lang Title Fight). If you couldn't detect the sarcasm in my post re: NOBs, then I'm sorry but I can't help you.

I sure hope you weren't dwelling on that for a whole week, the sarcasm was directed at other posters who have presumed NOBs would be a clear power in D1 for 2009.

Regards

Frase

Yarr chaps, sorry for stating the obvious but everyone should expect The Bee's Ross Fastuca to rocket up the goal-kicking table after his impressive opening effort at ESL yesterday.

Only jagged a couple in the twos the week before, but benefitted from a dominant midfield and plenty of quick ball movement at the higher level.

Whilst we've still got to deal with the improving Friars and the Reds in the next couple of games, everyone is waiting for the round 9 showdown at Soldiers between the young gun sides of D1.

Chyars

Grum

without any disrespect to the boys from burwood, but the animals looked to be a shadow of the team that made it to the D2 granny last year.

Drifter, has the list changed that much??? what is going on down there??

ur boys usually play that ground so well

without any disrespect to the boys from burwood, but the animals looked to be a shadow of the team that made it to the D2 granny last year.

Werribee have always struggled at ESL. Very surprised at the result, I was thinking it could be a danger game. Im sure the tigers did too, and turned up to play.

Boys - I wish I knew!!! Will think long and hard about what is happening this week. Maybe and hopefully the Queens birthday break will re-focus us.

I suspect you guys have gone forward and we have gone backwards.

I recall a message from the Scribe declaring a nude run should Rupi not reach C Grade next year - I'll stop short of promising any stunts but there are 2 giants out west of the yarra - mirror images of each other - perhaps the Bees with more size and more impressive from the games Ive seen.

Cracking game in Round 9 and hopefully the Bees schedule a social event the night before our return clash.;)

Rupppo toughed it out and broke the shackles late in the 3rd quarter against a disciplined and determined Aquinas. They are clearly reeling with injury problems as we were far from impressive, their defence stood up against our power forward line very well up till half way through the third qrt.

Werribee are clearly now flag favorites, they are smashing sides at will with a 9 goal haul today from a guy in his first senior game this year. Rupppo were always up and about early as we have been in past seasons, so we might be competitive at Soldiers in 3 weeks, however they clearly now have the mantle as the team to beat. Ruppo are happy to be the underdogs against the tigers.

You're already conceding defeat? That's sad ! Does the whole team share your thoughts ??? Starting with the mind games already Kingbrown!! Ruppo has not lost a game which makes YOU flag favourites does it not?
What I can say is that we are playing good footy at the moment, but it is a long season. Having Stukes back straightens us up structually and was pleasing to see him kick a bag. What was more pleasing was to see such an attacking game from the backline. Great to watch if you were barracking for Werribee. Good to see the respect shown by both siedes Drifter.

NOBs are definitely in trouble, and unfortunately were hit with more injuries against Prahran, leaving them with an extremely limited interchange. By the time they have a full list top chose from, it may be too late.

# 7 at Rupo ! :p

Based on a direct comparison in rd 2, Whitey's got me covered. He pulled out the ultra baggy size 38s which comfortably covered my extra long size 34s. They only look big because I've got chicken legs I swear!

Still, we're all looking forward to seeing what sized engine Scotty Sleep's working with as he strolls around The Gillon this Saturday. Sleepy's always been one for working with extra room in the trouser department. Last year in rd 14 he copped an almighty whack in the cods and needed all the room he could just to keep his tackle in place as the swelling increased!!

If the NOBs injuries are as significant as the previous poster suggests, maybe Terry Scanlon will strap the boots on and give us all a big scare!! Reckon his shorts would be bigger and better than anyone else's (maybe plus-fours? ;)).

Best thing about footy - there's always next week. :p

You're already conceding defeat? That's sad ! Does the whole team share your thoughts ??? Starting with the mind games already Kingbrown!! Ruppo has not lost a game which makes YOU flag favourites does it not?
What I can say is that we are playing good footy at the moment, but it is a long season. Having Stukes back straightens us up structually and was pleasing to see him kick a bag. What was more pleasing was to see such an attacking game from the backline. Great to watch if you were barracking for Werribee. Good to see the respect shown by both siedes Drifter.[/quote]

Can't quite see how you come to that conclusion Westy, just a bit of banter. Your form is irresistable, 3 100+ point wins is travelling well. At the moment we would go into all games believing we can win, as Whitefriars would believe next Saturday.

Can't quite see how you come to that conclusion Westy, just a bit of banter. Your form is irresistable, 3 100+ point wins is travelling well. At the moment we would go into all games believing we can win, as Whitefriars would believe next Saturday.

i see how he came to that conclusion KB, tough one regarding favouritism though. both good sides.

will be very interesting in rd 9. will pick whoever has home ground advantage.

would loooovve to know rocky's story. not a happy chappy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

i see how he came to that conclusion KB, tough one regarding favouritism though. both good sides.

will be very interesting in rd 9. will pick whoever has home ground advantage.

would loooovve to know rocky's story. not a happy chappy.

I though it was a bit of bluff. Placing pressure on the opposition by installing them as flag favourites. Bit of pressure on Rupo. It's looking like another successful season - good chance of promotion to C grade. It seems to me promotion is nice but a flag is the reason we play football. Rupo has been successful for a number of years without bagging the big one. It must irk. However Rupo thinks it has the winning formula and has stuck to it despite appointing a new coach. For me it's got to be the flag or bust.

Had a look at the VAFA site and Werribee would be the favourite for the round 9 clash. About a 65% chance of winning.

I like Rocky's passion for his footy club. He probably does have a story but his opinion seems based on an unusual set of circumstances and a pretty poor record recently. If there are other reasons let's hear them.

NOBs are definitely in trouble, and unfortunately were hit with more injuries against Prahran, leaving them with an extremely limited interchange. By the time they have a full list top chose from, it may be too late.

really feel for you, must be tough to be the only team in D1 with injuries.....

makes it even tougher when these injuries have seemingly been so horriffic that they've lasted over two seasons! despite playing them at toorak park (where they're always harder to beat) at the end of the day you played a team who were relegated last year....stop making excuses.

I though it was a bit of bluff. Placing pressure on the opposition by installing them as flag favourites. Bit of pressure on Rupo. It's looking like another successful season - good chance of promotion to C grade. It seems to me promotion is nice but a flag is the reason we play football. Rupo has been successful for a number of years without bagging the big one. It must irk. However Rupo thinks it has the winning formula and has stuck to it despite appointing a new coach. For me it's got to be the flag or bust.

Had a look at the VAFA site and Werribee would be the favourite for the round 9 clash. About a 65% chance of winning.

I like Rocky's passion for his footy club. He probably does have a story but his opinion seems based on an unusual set of circumstances and a pretty poor record recently. If there are other reasons let's hear them.

No presure whatsoever robbo, we are just going about our business, trying our best week in week out,

You ever been offered or applied to get involved within the club ? You seem very happy over the last couple of years to continue to take pot shots at our club,

haha, for me it's got to be flag or bust, Like your opinion cares to us.

No presure whatsoever robbo, we are just going about our business, trying our best week in week out,

You ever been offered or applied to get involved within the club ? You seem very happy over the last couple of years to continue to take pot shots at our club,

for those of us sipping our lattes and pondering all that is good and worthwhile , I would have thought there is a few thread members here that maybe getting ahead of themselves a little, as we have only just played rd 6 - youd think there are 5 sides that think" flag or bust "
there are teams sitting 3 rd 4th & 5th that might have something to say about proceedings come the business end. there is so much footy to go I think some of you guys are getting a little too excited a little too early .
lets see how both rupo and werribee are travelling now sides are putting homework into them and ways to stop the run on game plan - there is a side sitting in third spot thatwould think they are serious challengers to the top two ,

well done to the rupo boys on the weekend.....top bunch of blokes in both games and too good for us out at Great Ryrie on the day. look forward to the rematch on your deck

Most forget Rupppo have won 2 flags and 3 runners up (all in a row ) unfortunately. OK return for 10 years of existence. Now "flag or bust" would be very much attributed to the last 3 runners up efforts. Clubs like Fitzroy, Therry, SMD recently and Werribee have all tasted the beauty of premiership success. Generally our side is nearly made up of our juniors, who have had that same premiership success at junior level, and would burn for the same feeling at senior level. Personally i think premierships are only won when the team has total belief, works hard for each other and equal to anything have good luck with injury to their best 22.

As far as where everybody is at the moment, "yes" things can change dramatically, but we all live in the "now" and you can only discuss current form. I have no doubt we will all look at things differently week in week out. Prahran for example have shown that they may be a bigger test for us than what was on the table a couple of weeks ago.

Your club [I didn't know you were a supporter, welcome on board], it's mine too. What you call pot shots is just a different way of looking at the club. It's my opinion and you should respect it as much as I respect your view. My view on being involved in the club in an official capacity is pretty clear. Not while a real or potential conflict of interest exists.

Your club [I didn't know you were a supporter, welcome on board], it's mine too. What you call pot shots is just a different way of looking at the club. It's my opinion and you should respect it as much as I respect your view. My view on being involved in the club in an official capacity is pretty clear. Not while a real or potential conflict of interest exists.

thanks robbo, glad we can get along, although i do wonder which part of OUR club you didn't understand - that's right our club, finlands, robbo,KB, plus the no doubt plenty of others that just haven't bothered to post and get caught up in this like i have,

Conflict of intrest is interesting ?

IMO, the new coaching group accross the board ( u19s / seniors ) has put steps in place to ensure the playing group are fit, healthy and enjoying their footy, results for the 19s are not the best at the moment, but they are working just as hard and the results will come for them and the senior group has lost the one game accross both levels with as you know some very , very good footballers not playing through injuy as we speak, westy, monzie, brennan, i will not name the rest, all i will say is no matterwhat happens over the next 3 weeks, we will be harder to beat over the last 9 and into finals,

Westy,

Are there any players missing out down at Werribee at the moment? Looks like a strong side...but can it get stronger?
Still have a couple a blokes out, with 6 in Ressies pushing for selection. Had someone turn up at training last night that would slot right in if he can committ. More about him later

Still have a couple a blokes out, with 6 in Ressies pushing for selection. Had someone turn up at training last night that would slot right in if he can committ. More about him later

and what 6 would they be west???? and yes...........that bloke would be very handy

thanks robbo, glad we can get along,

I like your optimistic view of the rest of the season. I think Rupo will be successful this season and I'll be happy for the guys who achieve that success.

I'm personally tired of all the negative comments my posts have caused. It's time to impose a ban on myself posting. I'll jump into a time capsule and reappear when the world is a different place. It may take some time but people can't be officially involved in a footy club forever. In the end I just wish my footy club displayed a little more humanity. The rules that determine how good we are as people need to be embraced at Rupertswood. I think the senior club should look at the mission statement [why we are a club?, what are we trying to achieve?] and decide whether it's important or just a crock of shit.

Song for the rest of the year: All Things Must Pass.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back