D1 2009

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Big Rumours circulating that OM's will have a very Tigerish feel about them next year with some people from up the road who have had considerable success in recent years heading down to the grammar school.

and bringing in all these individuals will equate to team success will it ? Haven't we heard it all before. You can have all the star recruits in the world, but if all you do is make the finals and never achieve anything, what's the point.

Did he win a flag, Marcou? I know he bombed out at Templestowe when they had one of the highest wages bills in the EFL. I know he bombed out at Nuna for the last 2 seasons. He was assistant to Bellis for a while there too.
Testing my memory HBP,He won the flag at Norwood,Lost a GF maybe 2 at Templestowe but his sides were regularly in the finals action.

How did you guys manage to win the last three games after looking like you were dead and buried?
We were playing good football in the second half of the year we just lack the confidence to finish teams off.Loses by less than 4 goals were common,south was the only team to touch us up,we led Bulleen Temp by 5 goals but couldn't finish them off, once we got that confidence booster against Yarra we lifted, knocked off Geelong by playing hard tough football then out slogged Prahran.

From the sounds of things …you don’t think Whitefrairs will be much again in 09!. We played them twice last year and got beaten twice.

Friars will be a danger side. A lot of there players didn’t played due to moving grounds. Friars are back in Donvale and I tell you it is a tough trip out that way!

They will definitely win more than they loose.

From my understanding, the jumper to be worn in Melbourne is the red jumper with the gold Lion logo. It looks great.

Personally I'd like to see a small FFC logo added to the breast of that jumper in Melbourne to emphasise the link with Fitzroy Football Club - the club that still exists independently of the Brisbane Lions. And of course, the Fitzroy Reds, of course will be rebranded the 'Fitzroy Football Club' meaning that the Fitzroy Football Club will have playing teams for the first time since 1996.

Just got this from the Fitzroy forum. Pretty exciting news if it's true. Can anyone shed any light on it ?

That article is very old (note it refers to a Round 5 match to be played against SMD).

Whilst the concept remains a viable (and likely) outcome, nothing official has actually been determined, well at least to my knowledge.

Sounds like more hot air than anything substantial. Seems to be a fair bit of that around the Reds now. The club will get more respect by their on field actions, like back in the Burgen days, than they will by people grandstanding in the media.

Sounds like more hot air than anything substantial. Seems to be a fair bit of that around the Reds now. The club will get more respect by their on field actions, like back in the Burgen days, than they will by people grandstanding in the media.

A lot of the Burgen days were grandstanding, like his much vaunted return in C grade, that involved three days coaching, 5 weeks skiing and confirmed relegation. He won a flag with a team that could have been coached by a two year old it was that good.

A lot of the Burgen days were grandstanding, like his much vaunted return in C grade, that involved three days coaching, 5 weeks skiing and confirmed relegation. He won a flag with a team that could have been coached by a two year old it was that good.
That's a fair point FB. I was more talking about the success in that time, rather than the man himself. Mind you, he must have been okay as a coach and man manager to win 3 flags in 5 years.

That said, the club as a whole seemed to run better in the "Burgen Days" as the results on the field were what mattered and not how often the club and it's officials were in the newspaper and on TV.

Which one?

Now, lets just ease up a bit here.

Burgs the multiple premiership winning coach, now a life member, was the man who put the club on the map and should be treated with due respect.

Not to mention the help he gave this year as coaching co-ordinator!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That said, the club as a whole seemed to run better in the "Burgen Days" as the results on the field were what mattered and not how often the club and it's officials were in the newspaper and on TV.

The 'club as a whole' lost in excess of $40K in the last of those two years, so I'm a little less inclined to say they were 'run better'.

And (as one of those officials of which you speak) tell me, how does a strong media profile in any way influence what happens on the field -- surely anything that gets the name above the shop out to the punters can only be good insofar as recruiting players and members.

To paraphrase the record-store clerk Barry in High Fidelity:

"I'm sorry, I thought telling people about our club would be a good thing"

How can someone who talks about 'the club as a whole' be so myopic?

To once again paraphrase from High Fidelity... "oops, I'm sorry. Are you in a coma?"

A coma ? No. A disenchanted past player ? Yes. I may not have the vocab that you posess, or do not have the ability to randomly quote Nick Hornby books to enhance my Fitzroy persona, but i do know one thing, the club has talked more than it has walked in recent years, and past players are a bit over those on the committee using it as a vehicle for their own personal exposure and benefit. Even if the changes are for the good, is there a chance we might actually see them implemented at any stage ?

Anyway, I'm going to get my eyes checked. Damn near-sightedness :D

Hard to 'walk' when those you owe money come 'round to your front door and knee-cap you.

The exposure has nothing to do with a vehicle for personal exposure and benefit* (believe me, there are easier ways to get media exposure if you are so self-absorbed) and everything to do with announcing the intent for change, attracting people to support such change and ergo laying the groundwork for change.

And might I add, the exposure the club received this year has helped to garner support and facilitate that change -- something that a new Committee will ratify (implement) before year's end. Such significant changes take time -- 'talk' is part of the process.

*when you're one of the very few who were prepared to jump in and take on a club that was a financial basket case, any 'personal benefit' is more or less non-existant...

Not to mention the help he gave this year as coaching co-ordinator!

Agreed - probably not worth mentioning. ;)

Graeme's efforts in seasons 1 through 9 at the club speak for themselves (taking us from D3 to C), and he was justly rewarded with life membership as 2008 was his 10th season of involvement at the club.

OTL - I doubt he would agree with your contention that he was the man who put the club on the map. It would show a blatant disregard for the efforts of those who presided off-field, or played on-field during those years. I'd venture someone akin to a past champion captain Steven Drury would be just as important in that rise through the ranks as Graeme was. One person doesn't make a club, but Burgs was very adept at getting talent through the door (so I hear) during the seasons he was senior coach.

As far as on-field results are concerned, our senior sides put in their 3rd best on-field effort in the club's history (after the 2005 D1 flag and in 2006 a 50% win/loss ratio in C section). Meanwhile, our U19 (1) side finished 3rd in North 1, easily the highest finish in their stand-alone history. That's where the future lies, and that's where the club's focus remains.

No point looking backwards, except to learn from past mistakes.

Having said that, GWH is right though, the club was deeply in debt at the conclusion of 2006, and the past two years have simply been treading water whilst trying to retire some of that debt, and also to turn the focus of the club towards the suburban community, with a positive link to the junior club.

Takes time, but will be well worth the effort in the long term.

Frase

And might I add, the exposure the club received this year has helped to garner support and facilitate that change -- something that a new Committee will ratify (implement) before year's end. Such significant changes take time -- 'talk' is part of the process.

Well i hope that it does. As a past premiership player, i want to see the club succeed in all facets. I note in the article above that the Craig Little has staked his Presidency on it, so there is a lot riding on this change coming about I guess.

Agreed - probably not worth mentioning

Care to expand on that comment scribe?

Wasn't suggesting nobody else had a part in "putting the club on the map" ( i don't think i said singlehandedly did i ??) but rather he was the driving force for many things. Freebaser was bagging him and it was unjustified in my view.

As you pointed out, his ability to get recruits through the door was crucial.

As long as the Reds beat Peninsula this year... oh... that's right: Pirates sunk!

Onward and upward in mind, body & spirit.

It's early days yet Jack, it's early days.

Been months since I've been on BF, what else has been going on?

Bloody hell, Hey KB, reading above, I thought for a moment that we must still be in C grade and was witnessing the Ajax folks at their finest.
I clearly forgot how much I missed our good friends from Brunswick St and how they love to dominate the boards... :p

I'm intrigued as to how a club could be moving up through the grades, yet lose $40,000 in 2 years??? Sounds like the situation many of our Northern/Eastern/Southern/Essendon League friends find themselves in. The more rungs on the ladder you climb, the higher the "expenses" bills get?

What are you implying Half Back Pocket? It's D1 Ammos for f*cks sake, we're not playing for sheep stations. Go accuse St Bede's Mentone or one of the private schools for their "expenses", not Fitzroy.

Live in Fawkner, barrack for St Kilda... what a winning combination.

What are you implying Half Back Pocket? It's D1 Ammos for f*cks sake, we're not playing for sheep stations. Go accuse St Bede's Mentone or one of the private schools for their "expenses", not Fitzroy.

Live in Fawkner, barrack for St Kilda... what a winning combination.

Come on Terry, go easy on Half Back Pocket. $40K is alot for him to get his head around......That'd be twice the average house price in Fawkner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back