D2 D2 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Was good to see the supporters in the blue twin cab on the boundary at Ransford oval on Saturday enjoying the game whilst obeying the Ammos alcohol ban during play. I hope the boy's in blue tested the driver.

Was good to see the supporters in the blue twin cab on the boundary at Ransford oval on Saturday enjoying the game whilst obeying the Ammos alcohol ban during play. I hope the boy's in blue tested the driver.
Call the wambulance. Who gives a toss a few blokes sat in a ute having a couple of cold beers while watching the local footy.

Call the wambulance. Who gives a toss a few b

lokes sat in a ute having a couple of cold beers while watching the local footy.
So you're saying that we can now all drink while the game is on? The ban is one of the great things about Amateur footy, we don't get alcohol fueled supporters causing trouble like they do in other leagues. And yes, I enjoy a beverage as much as anyone, but I'm quite happy to wait till after the final siren to celebrate or, this year in particular, not celebrate.

Last edited:
So you're saying that we can now all drink while the game is on? The ban is one of the great things about Amateur footy, we don't get alcohol fueled supporters causing trouble like they do in other leagues. And yes, I enjoy a beverage as much as anyone, but I'm quite happy to wait till after the final siren to celebrate or, this year in particular, not celebrate.
I am not sure it is one of the great things about the comp any more - I actually think it quite an archaic rule. I attend local leagues regularly and rarely see the trouble we had in the 80's. I actually think society has changed.
Hence, even the Ammo board have considered lightening the restriction - I believe the vote was very close last time. They realise how stupid it is to have a function at the ground and turn the taps off at 2.00pm.
BTW, I am also someone who rarely drinks at the footy unless it is a club function.

It appears you like to pick and choose between which VAFA rules are applicable.
Well ones cheating and advatange to a team. The other harmless fun that has no effect on the results or either team.

Yes it's quite clear how great it is for amateur football. The 15 people rocking up to weekly games compared to 1000 in the leagues where you can have a beer. you actually need a crowd for crowd violence.

I
Well ones cheating and advatange to a team. The other harmless fun that has no effect on the results or either team.

Yes it's quite clear how great it is for amateur football. The 15 people rocking up to weekly games compared to 1000 in the leagues where you can have a beer. you actually need a crowd for crowd violence.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

...if you have an issue with it why don't you go back to the league you came from?

And here we have the real reason for the VAFA's alcohol ban.

It is nothing to do with crowd safety, or family football. It is about snobbery, and ensuring the upper sections are dominated by the private school sides - the ones where the spectators openly use 'suburban side' as an insult.

The alcohol ban keeps the suburban sides weak by deterring spectators, who would provide money for club operations (facilities, equipment, etc.). The private school sides don't need supporters: they can rely on money from benefactors and sponsorships from companies owned by old boys, and use the top class facilities of their affiliate schools. As a result, the old boys' clubs prosper, while very few suburban clubs ever go above D grade.

What football needs is an amateur competition for clubs from the southern and eastern suburbs that allows sale of alcohol during matches. The clubs (those currently in VAFA, but quite a few from the lower sections of the EFL and SFNL) would have the advantages of amateur competition - not having to pay players or compete with clubs who do - while avoiding the problems of the VAFA: the no drinking law, and the long travel to distant venues. This would be a win-win for all: suburban clubs could reach the highest level of amateur football in the south-east, while the private school boys wouldn't have to lower themselves by being in a comp with riffraff who don't own 4WDs.

It is nothing to do with crowd safety, or family football. It is about snobbery, and ensuring the upper sections are dominated by the private school sides - the ones where the spectators openly use 'suburban side' as an insult.

The alcohol ban keeps the suburban sides weak by deterring spectators, who would provide money for club operations (facilities, equipment, etc.). The private school sides don't need supporters: they can rely on money from benefactors and sponsorships from companies owned by old boys, and use the top class facilities of their affiliate schools. As a result, the old boys' clubs prosper, while very few suburban clubs ever go above D grade.

What football needs is an amateur competition for clubs from the southern and eastern suburbs that allows sale of alcohol during matches. The clubs (those currently in VAFA, but quite a few from the lower sections of the EFL and SFNL) would have the advantages of amateur competition - not having to pay players or compete with clubs who do - while avoiding the problems of the VAFA: the no drinking law, and the long travel to distant venues. This would be a win-win for all: suburban clubs could reach the highest level of amateur football in the south-east, while the private school boys wouldn't have to lower themselves by being in a comp with riffraff who don't own 4WDs.

LOL. Chip. Shoulder.

Interesting stat - Since round six Melbourne High have won 9/10, Glen Eira have lost 9/10. Glen Eira the only team to knock off prahran and look like getting relegated

Interesting stat - Since round six Melbourne High have won 9/10, Glen Eira have lost 9/10. Glen Eira the only team to knock off prahran and look like getting relegated

I remember noting early in the year that MHSOB had lost 4 of 5 or something like that but had a % over a hundred and how diff things could have been. They have turned it round nicely.

Couldn't agrrr more. So sick of the schools old boys running the vafa.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back