D2 D2 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The private school sides don't need supporters: they can rely on money from benefactors and sponsorships from companies owned by old boys, and use the top class facilities of their affiliate schools. As a result, the old boys' clubs prosper, while very few suburban clubs ever go above D grade.

Have you got a clue about how many "old boy" sides have an actual real connection with the school? If you bothered to ask around, you might be surprised how few schools give a toss about their old boy sporting teams, let alone where these "magical rich benefactors" materialise from.

Beaumaris, Uni Blues, Uni Blacks, Fitzroy, Hampton Rovers, Ormond, Williamstown, Oakleigh, Kew, Parkdale, Monash Blues are all in Premier C or above with no connection to a private school. That's 35% of the top 3 grades.

If you want 1000 spectators and the right to serve alcohol, there's a suburban league which will no doubt take your club and it's "culture" in with open arms.

Don't let the beer can hit you in the back of the head on your way out.

Have you got a clue about how many "old boy" sides have an actual real connection with the school? If you bothered to ask around, you might be surprised how few schools give a toss about their old boy sporting teams, let alone where these "magical rich benefactors" materialise from.

Beaumaris, Uni Blues, Uni Blacks, Fitzroy, Hampton Rovers, Ormond, Williamstown, Oakleigh, Kew, Parkdale, Monash Blues are all in Premier C or above with no connection to a private school. That's 35% of the top 3 grades.

If you want 1000 spectators and the right to serve alcohol, there's a suburban league which will no doubt take your club and it's "culture" in with open arms.

I agree with your position about the drinking policy in the V.A.F.A, it is what sets the league a part from other metro based competitions. However, your belief that district clubs in the V.A.F.A are strong and thriving is a bit of a fallacy. Firstly, Ormond and Oakleigh both compete in D1, not Premier C.

Beaumaris, Uni Blacks, Fitzroy, Hampton Rovers, Kew are all in the bottom 2 of their respective divisions.

Granted, Uni Blues, Williamstown and Monash Uni are in the hunt for finals in Premier C or above.

The V.A.F.A is an incredibly strong competition and it makes it difficult for district clubs to compete against Private Schools/University sides that have deeper pockets and a wider network. However, that's the nature of the beast of the V.A.F.A, some clubs just need to realise that Premier C may be their realistic ceiling.

I agree with your position about the drinking policy in the V.A.F.A, it is what sets the league a part from other metro based competitions. However, your belief that district clubs in the V.A.F.A are strong and thriving is a bit of a fallacy. Firstly, Ormond and Oakleigh both compete in D1, not Premier C.

Beaumaris, Uni Blacks, Fitzroy, Hampton Rovers, Kew are all in the bottom 2 of their respective divisions.

Granted, Uni Blues, Williamstown and Monash Uni are in the hunt for finals in Premier C or above.

The V.A.F.A is an incredibly strong competition and it makes it difficult for district clubs to compete against Private Schools/University sides that have deeper pockets and a wider network. However, that's the nature of the beast of the V.A.F.A, some clubs just need to realise that Premier C may be their realistic ceiling.
Prahran have deepest pockets

Have you ever been to a suburban football league game where they serve alchohol or do you just imagine it as an all in brawl booze fest?

It was a different era in a different time.

70's? I would have thought 50's? So are you saying get with the times? Serve free flowing alcohol all day and all night. Enjoy each other's company, everything will be rosy, no security and turn back the clock? this contradicts itself...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

70's? I would have thought 50's? So are you saying get with the times? Serve free flowing alcohol all day and all night. Enjoy each other's company, everything will be rosy, no security and turn back the clock? this contradicts itself...
I'm saying people are more responsible these days.

Pretty sure you can't drink Grog a junior footy.
A couple years ago, I watched my nephew in an u/18 gf at Wantirna and the boozers were open at 9am, hate to think what some would be like by the time the seniors finished. Having said that, many times watching the grandson during the home and away games, no sign of alcohol, just plenty of egg and bacon rolls.

Anyone can coach a side with deep pockets if you get my drift. And the ex Don you guys swore just wanted a run in the resies was total bull. Keep the jackpots rolling.
You have absolutely no idea whatsoever. But you obviously amuse urself with ur on-going envious fantasy.

You have absolutely no idea whatsoever. But you obviously amuse urself with ur on-going envious fantasy.
Then the old guy who used to run your canteen and now needs a walker is telling fibs. I've known him for years and I believe him over some of you cover up merchants. If you go up a few divisions with your pokie money I'm sure some of the private schools will have more power than me to get the VAFA to investigate.

Then the old guy who used to run your canteen and now needs a walker is telling fibs. I've known him for years and I believe him over some of you cover up merchants. If you go up a few divisions with your pokie money I'm sure some of the private schools will have more power than me to get the VAFA to investigate.
Well that very same old guy has a wicked sense of humour - as you'd know if you truly knew him well!

Have you ever been to a suburban football league game where they serve alchohol or do you just imagine it as an all in brawl booze fest?
I have been to a few suburban games, many where alcohol is served.

You completely missed my point - the OP was about Old schoolboy sides having an advantage over suburban VAFA teams such that few are in Premier C or above.

I have no problem with people playing or clubs competing in competitions where they serve alcohol. Just accept the fact it doesn't happen in the VAFA. If that doesn't suit you, or your club, there's plenty of suburban leagues (perhaps except for the EFL) desperate to fill their competitions with new clubs as far too many are folding or collapsing due to the salary/points issue.

Frankly, as far as I'm aware, the service of alcohol is primarily required to get the dollars into the club to pay the players. If the players aren't getting paid, then alcohol receipts become largely irrelevant.

Anyone can coach a side with deep pockets if you get my drift. And the ex Don you guys swore just wanted a run in the resies was total bull. Keep the jackpots rolling.

Did prahran swear he was playing twos did they?

He wouldn't be playing at prahran because he is a Mildura boy and there are 6 guys from Mildura at the club that have been there for years and all live in the area and he wants a kick with his mates would it be?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back