D2 for 2011

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is happening at Aquinas? 2010 preseason they were talking up a premiership and they now find themselves winless in D2 after 5 games????

Can anyone shed some light?

What is happening at Aquinas? 2010 preseason they were talking up a premiership and they now find themselves winless in D2 after 5 games????

Can anyone shed some light?

mass exodus from the club this year with most players going to an EFL team. I think it was due to the coach being sacked last year that was a teacher at the school.

Selections for this week's round of games, with a couple being toss-up ones:

Old Eltham vs St Marys Salesian
Therry Penola vs La Trobe University
Glen Eira vs Emmaus St eos
St John's vs South Melbourne
Old Westbourne vs Aquinas

mass exodus from the club this year with most players going to an EFL team. I think it was due to the coach being sacked last year that was a teacher at the school.
The coach/teacher was obviously very close to his players. Should be a pleasant drive out to Werribee this week. The 2's should set their alarms for about 6.00am.

Ex caoch brought a lot of players from EFL in 2009 - hope not a case of Banyule under the table stuff

Ex caoch brought a lot of players from EFL in 2009 - hope not a case of Banyule under the table stuff
Ex coach bought 1 player,so what your saying is crap.Aquinas had 13 players across both teams last week that played senior footy last year,we've lost players through retirement,some are having a year off because they lost interest,the main issue is 4 guys went overseas for 6 mths, all integral 2 the team,the flow on effect from others was because there not playing the team won't be any good so others left to try there luck in the EFL.In all we've lost 16 players that played 1s in rd 18 last year when we beat B/Temp,plus probably 15 solid 2s players.Our team is made up of whats left plus what we kept from our 19s last year,plus we've recruited nearly 30 players of various quality 2 keep the club alive.

my tips fpr the weekend
Eltham vs St Marys Salesian Home ground advantage for this one
Therry Penola vs La Trobe University a real test for the students but they will fall just short in a close one
Glen Eira vs Emmaus St Leos GE for this one at home too big and too strong
St John's vs South Melbourne South could win this one in an upset but the jocs at home for me
Old Westbourne vsAquinas could be a draw but i think this wil be won by under a goal Old westy as it is their home game

Tough games at Packer. GE Saints held on in the twos and a heavily depleted seniors only went away in the last quarter. lucky to have the depth this year. ESL are not out of it though. What happened at Therry game. Please enlighten

some big results on the weekend latrobe must have run riot over therry in the last quater 10,8 is a big effort by anyones standard also the jocs and GE with 8,3 a peice in the last quarter as well were big efforts.
It appears there is a fairly decent gap between the top 6 and the rest that is starting to appear

Very disappointed with our result on the weekend. Very poor first half. Aquinas probably should have been further ahead at half time, if not for some poor kicking for goal.

Second half I thought we had more of the ball but couldn't finish Aquinas off. The warriors started the last quarter on fire but Aquinas didn't go away. In the end the more disciplined team got the points. We will pick ourselves up for a crack at Sth Melbourne this week!!

Impressive for Aquinas were #4 off half back, their FF, and the little guy in the helmet - #9? I have to say though, the umpires (for both teams) were rather poor - a lot of goals resulting from free kicks in the FWD line for both teams. At least they were consistantly poor, I suppose.....

Any reports from the other games?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is Glen Eira unstoppable this season?

If so it raises the question - has the standard of the Ammos dropped off?

Im pretty sure the answer is yes, atleast in D2 IMO

Glen Eira have the same nucleus that were bottom rungs of D2 in 2008 - perhaps not bottom but 6th/7th etc. Other than perhaps 5 players added - Dima,Mills, Boyd etc they are the same squad that were miles off the pace just 3 years back.

See clubs like Aquinas and OW losing players to the suburban comps, have all clubs suffered with some quality players leaving for $$. Cant blame them - cost of living in Melbourne is sky rocketing

I would suggest that OW, SMD, Aq and others would struggle against their own line ups from 2008 - some 15 goals worse off

Just my thoughts - Werribee who tore up D2 in 2008 are tearing up C Grade - they may have improved but has the whole VAFA standard fallen away?

Drifter your years of absence from Big Footy have blurred your memory. The Glen Eira team from Saturday had 12-15 players who weren't at the club in 2008.

The bottom half of the D2 ladder seems to be weaker than previous years but I think the top half is similar.

Werribee have a massive junior club feeding their success which may take them to B grade just like Oakleigh and Carey before them.

If so it raises the question - has the standard of the Ammos dropped off?

Im pretty sure the answer is yes, atleast in D2 IMO

Glen Eira have the same nucleus that were bottom rungs of D2 in 2008 - perhaps not bottom but 6th/7th etc. Other than perhaps 5 players added - Dima,Mills, Boyd etc they are the same squad that were miles off the pace just 3 years back.

See clubs like Aquinas and OW losing players to the suburban comps, have all clubs suffered with some quality players leaving for $$. Cant blame them - cost of living in Melbourne is sky rocketing

I would suggest that OW, SMD, Aq and others would struggle against their own line ups from 2008 - some 15 goals worse off

Just my thoughts - Werribee who tore up D2 in 2008 are tearing up C Grade - they may have improved but has the whole VAFA standard fallen away?

Drifter why dont you check the GE reserves team. Hardly won a game for years and now undefeated. 12 senior players from 2009 - 2010 currently playing reserves. You nave no idea. Teams develop.

Drifter why dont you check the GE reserves team. Hardly won a game for years and now undefeated. 12 senior players from 2009 - 2010 currently playing reserves. You nave no idea. Teams develop.

Cheers I'll try and improve my comments as I have no idea

GE, Latrobe and JOCS possibly improved, remaining 7 sides weaker than 2 seasons ago = WEAKER competition

Its not a slight on anyone - its an observation

GE, Latrobe and JOCS possibly improved, remaining 7 sides weaker than 2 seasons ago = WEAKER competition

Looking at the results from afar I'd have to say that even though GE have appeared to have improved, the standard of D2 is much weaker than previous years. Now hear me out Phantom. Reasons:

*No Banyule or Old Paradians who were quality sides that were promoted.

*Two D1 teams demoted are struggling Sth Melb (2 wins) & Aquinas (1 win)

*Three D3 sides promoted into D2 (2 promoted LaTrobe & St Johns & 1 stayed up SMS)

*Last years 1st Semi Finalist Old Westbourne is winless after losing nearly their whole seniors team

*Albeit a praccy match GE reserves were defeated by a 17 man SFL Div 2 side by 6 goals

So it would appear going by these statistics/results that Drifter is not too far off. But kudos to Glen Eira for being undeated in both grades

Looking at the results from afar I'd have to say that even though GE have appeared to have improved, the standard of D2 is much weaker than previous years. Now hear me out Phantom. Reasons:

*No Banyule or Old Paradians who were quality sides that were promoted.

*Two D1 teams demoted are struggling Sth Melb (2 wins) & Aquinas (1 win)

*Three D3 sides promoted into D2 (2 promoted LaTrobe & St Johns & 1 stayed up SMS)

*Last years 1st Semi Finalist Old Westbourne is winless after losing nearly their whole seniors team

*Albeit a praccy match GE reserves were defeated by a 17 man SFL Div 2 side by 6 goals

So it would appear going by these statistics/results that Drifter is not too far off. But kudos to Glen Eira for being undeated in both grades

Gee fish you are living on that praccy match reserves victory. That side you played has 15 plus new players in it. Go figure. Wallow in your mistake of joining the SFL and understand that the level you are playing at is not a patch on the upper levels of the VAFa let a lone D2 Ammos

Gee fish you are living on that praccy match reserves victory. That side you played has 15 plus new players in it. Go figure. Wallow in your mistake of joining the SFL and understand that the level you are playing at is not a patch on the upper levels of the VAFa let a lone D2 Ammos

Mistake?? No. Now having crowds of more than 10 fold of last year. More canteen/bar sales = much larger revenue. Just secured our long term future by playing SFL from a junior perspective. You're future? Well...... :eek:

SFL Div 2 not a patch on upper levels of VAFA?? You're a genius!!...but the top 4 teams would slot nicely into the top 5 of VAFA D2, especially this year. A couple might well be in front of you're mob in comparison :eek:

I knew you'd bite on the praccy match bit ;), both teams had a lot of unavailables

Will it be a case of D1 or bust for GE this year? Could we be seeing you guys in SFL Div 2 in a couple years? Only time will answer these questions

Drifter I'm going to argue the toss as well.

From the top of the ladder -(comments relate to 2010 form, italics relate to 2009 version)

GE -substantially improved version on 2010,
2010 team was substantially better than 2009 version

Latrobe-up into D2 this year, have picked up plenty of new faces as Uni teams seem to be able to do. Except for GE game their form so far has been faultless. % of 180 tells the story as to how good they are!!!
Dunn about 2009 , but they won D3 that year so they must have been alright

Therry- really struggled with the last half of 2010with injuries, key players suspended etc. Lots of juniors coming thru this year plus 'Boy George' is the new Bannister. They missed that key fwd last year... so therefore I’d say improved on 2010.
Was stiff not to be promoted in 2009. Were very strong

JOCs-lost their 1st 2 games to GE and Therry- No disgrace there. Since then have already accumulated a 139%. I'd say they are a genuine D2 threat.
2009 Dunno

ESL- saw them up close on Saturday. Lost Hickey, gained Beluszar, I'd say this team is equal to or better than their 2010 version.
Got promoted in 2009 (I think) so they were good then

Eltham -another team who faded badly last year. Any team with Ciavola up front will go alright at this level of footy. They have been up & down so far this year but certainly no worse than 2010.

SMD- Down from D1 .Had neither a coach nor a training venue till very late. Have shown a few glimpses only so far, but my take is they have a strong core of quality players, and just need a few to step up to become a genuine chance.despite their early showings.

Aquinas, SMD, OW - Fair to say all these teams are in rebuilding mode at present. Ammo footy is historically generally dominated by School associated teams because they have the ability to re-generate quickly.
All these teams seem well run and have school affiliations; they are for various reasons just struggling this year. My personal assessment is they are no worse than last year's stragglers.

Historically -Given that you (usually) get 4 new teams each and every season into each grade ...it's a pretty hard task to objectively compare year to year standards.

The best bit about your post Drifter was its ability to re-unite the Phantom and his old sparring partner -The Fish 20 (Sniper 20).

It seems that 'Fish' now has time to espouse the Bentleigh team's virtues on 2 Big Footy boards...SFL &VAFA. Not only is the Fish-Sniper able to keep Tabs on Bentleigh's outstanding progress in SFL, he manages to rate the whole of D2 as 'much weaker than previous years'.

I don't think I'd be the only one to suggest a slight bias on the Fish's behalf. Perhaps he's merely trying to justify his own club's decision last year to go from being a middle of the road VAFA D2 side to being a middle of the road SFL- D2 side without any reference to the real facts of VAFA-D2 standards....Respectfully I'd suggest this would be how must punters on this board might perceive his comments..

Unless of course Mr. Fish, you can disprove that theory by telling us how many D2 games you've actually seen this year...while you've been running round in the Magoos in the SFL week in week out.

Look forward to some serious banter..........

Sayna, that was the best post of the year. I tend to agree with your summation of the teams this year- I'll post later with some addtional info.

As for Sniper, the Bentleigh stuck up sydrome is still there. Keep contributing though, its good to spice things up on here and Bentleigh seem to always do that!!

Sayna, that was the best post of the year. I tend to agree with your summation of the teams this year- I'll post later with some addtional info.

As for Sniper, the Bentleigh stuck up sydrome is still there. Keep contributing though, its good to spice things up on here and Bentleigh seem to always do that!!

Thanks for your feedback BigBanga much appreciated, I'll be sure to frequent this board more often.

Like Sayna suggested, I can't see VAFA D2 games this year I can only go on the 2010 & 2011 results....and results my friends do not lie.

To state that Bentleigh were "a middle of the road team" in VAFA D2 & are also a middle of the road team in SFL Div 2, that would suggest that the 2 comps are pretty even in comparison, would it not?

Its cute that Sayna will come on here & defend the standard of D2 or "make allowances," but when it comes from within, Drifter at St Leos who has played D1 & above, it makes wonder "does he have a point?"

Food for thought

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back